Windows 10: Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points

Discus and support Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I notices that my "Volume Shadow Services"is set to "manual" mode. Is it suppose to be set to "automatic" mode? Could the fact that it it set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DanMcD, Feb 2, 2020.

1. DanMcD Win User

Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points

I notices that my "Volume Shadow Services"is set to "manual" mode.

Is it suppose to be set to "automatic" mode?

Could the fact that it it set to "manual" mode be the reason I'm loosing System Restore Points even though I have 95 GB of storage set aside for these SR points?

I have Windows 10 Pro, version 1909.

:)

DanMcD, Feb 2, 2020

2. System restore points are lost

Hi Tom,

Thanks you for posting your reply and update.

I suggest you to check if the Volume Shadow Copy service is running on your computer. This service enables System Restore on a computer. Refer the steps below to check the service.

• Press Windows + R Keys to open run command.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • In the services panel look for the ‘Volume Shadow Copy’.
    • Right click on the service and restart the service.
    • Also set the startup type to ‘Automatic’

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Feb 2, 2020
  3. zbook Win User
    System Restore points all disappeared except one system- created point

See what happens with these steps:

1) Click win + r keys (simultaneously)
    2) type or copy and paste: services.msc
    3) search on the list for each:
    a) volume shadow copy
    b) microsoft software shadow copy provider

For each right click and change:
    status > automatic
    services > started

reboot

In the event viewer there can be entries related to shadow copies:

Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    Create System Restore Point in Windows 10
    Change System Restore Point Creation Frequency in Windows 10
    Automatically Create System Restore Point on Schedule in Windows 10
    Automatically Create System Restore Point at Startup in Windows 10

zbook, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Cannot create a Windows 10 restore point

You do seem to be having a number of problems on this machine *Sad

System Restore is at best unreliable, often failing to perform a restore. But you should at least be able to see its Properties page without error. Could be some services it requires aren't running.

System Restore Error code 0x81000203 after updating W10 - Microsoft Community

Rather than rely on System Restore, it is a good idea to back up the machine by making a System Image. Macrium Reflect Free is good for that.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Tutorials

Bree, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Volume Shadow Services & System Restore Points - Similar Threads - Volume Shadow Services

2. System hacked with shadow drives and network restore points.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System hacked with shadow drives and network restore points.: Hi, I am looking for some help to figure out how to completely remove everything from my system after I was hacked. I'm pretty sure the hacker has moved on but has left really annoying scripts and software like I cannot upgrade my graphics card or other things because when I...
  3. System hacked with shadow drives and network restore points.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System hacked with shadow drives and network restore points.: Hi, I am looking for some help to figure out how to completely remove everything from my system after I was hacked. I'm pretty sure the hacker has moved on but has left really annoying scripts and software like I cannot upgrade my graphics card or other things because when I...
  4. System hacked with shadow drives and network restore points.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  6. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  7. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  9. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Restore Point and Shadow Copy: Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-and-shadow-copy/566c838a-0490-45a4-9490-3ee22a860661
  10. Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?

Does stopping the Volume Shadow Copy SERVICE delete restore points?: Apparently, VSC interferes with my Acronis backups. I would like to stop the service to run the backups, and restart afterward. I don't want to disable it, because I'm aware that will delete my restore points, which I definitly don't want to do. Can I just stop the service...