Windows 10: Weird Start Menu

Discus and support Weird Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Guys This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Fitzy Win User

Weird Start Menu

Hi Guys

This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been a member for a while now and before making my first post i've used the search facility until i ran out of keywords to use and couldn't find anything similar to my problem.

I have virtually no tiles showing on my start menu and no windows store shortcut anywhere on the pc, this is an upgrade from windows 7 ultimate. Please see image below:

Weird Start Menu [​IMG]

The start menu was working fine before i had a few BSOD's and i done a reset using the nedia creation tool and a USB stick and this was the result. I've tried all the fixes i can find on this site and google and nothing works Should i Just reinstall windows 10 from scratch or this recoverable?

Cheers

Dave

:)

Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016

2. mouse cursor goes under start menu

when starting menu the cursor goes underneath it,but if I use classic shell menu it stays on top this is weird.

bucket-o-rust, Jan 19, 2016
  3. Start Menu Folder Looks Weird

The first thing to understand is that when you install a Program they will place in the Start Menu Apps List the shortcuts they think you need to have handy. These are all in the Program File anyway, but most think you need others in addition to the actual
    app .exe shortcut, so they'll throw in an uninstaller link, a Help link, and maybe some other that you'd never use.

If you want to pare those down to just the Program .exe then open the App's Shortcut folder from the alphabetical list, choose one of the shortcuts, right click and choose More, then Open File Location. Now you are looking at the shortcuts they've decided you
    need in that folder. Right click to delete all the ones you don't need or want, leaving just the program .exe. Then drag it up on the File address bar and drop it in Programs. Now it should appear as an icon in the list and not a folder.. It should also replace
    the empty folder, but if it doesn't delete the rest of the shortcuts out of it and it should go away or you can delete it.

Again, this does not delete those functions from the program, they still live in the Program File but are no longer creating a Shortcut folder in the Start menu, only the Program's .exe icon you want.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 19, 2016
  4. Private Win User

Weird Start Menu

When you click on All apps, does it listing all the Windows Apps including Store there?

Private, Jan 19, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, welcome to tenforums.
    Your way forward at this point is probably to do an in-place upgrade install.
    This uses a Win 10 installation disk or USB device matching the build you have, and lets you keep everything. Effectively it's like a Windows re-install, but from a normal boot.

Instructions here:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You keep your associations, files, installed programs.

Afterwards:
    - redo Windows updates from the build you're using for the repair installation to date
    - re-enable system restore
    - probably reconnect your WiFi (if any)
    - will lose any customised system icons and installed fonts

Allow a couple of hours or so- you can skip downloading updates at the time to save time- those will happen later.

I'm assuming you don't have disk images you can restore (created by programs like Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper - free versions ok) which would let you restore your PC back to the state it was in when the images were created.

Periodic disk imaging is very strongly recommended as it lets you preserve your PC and your sanity, and restore your PC in a relatively short time.

If you've already done an in-place repair upgrade install, then I'd suggest you're going to have to reinstall.

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  6. Fitzy Win User
    Thanks for the reply, I think all the apps are there, but no windows store app though!!!

How do I check what my build number is and where can I download a copy of the same build for USB stick?

Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    1. Press the Windows key + R, and type Winver (return) in the box.
    (Build 1511 = the 10586 build released in November. Build 10240 = the first public release about 6 months ago).
    2. There are instructions about downloading an iso in the tutorial I quoted.
    There is also a separate tutorial (see 'Tutorials' above) about downloading isos.
    To find it, open Tutorials, press CTRL + F & type download in the box and press F3 until found. (For example).

Hope that helps.

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  8. Fitzy Win User

Weird Start Menu

Thanks dalchina

Found my build number 10240. I still have the original media creation tool I upgraded with so will do a fresh install in a week or so after I've completed my UK tax return. I downloaded the latest tool from Microsoft but it only gives Windows 10 & Windows 10 home as options, is the Windows 10 option the pro edition?

Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, remember it's not a fresh install (unless you want to..!) - the in place repair install keeps all your programs and most settings intact, and gives you a clean Windows installation. It won't solve 100% of problems, because some settings are retained.

From
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

The selected edition can install both the Home and Pro edition.

Your product key determines if Home or Pro gets installed during Windows Setup.

If you skip entering a product key during Windows Setup, then you will be prompted to select to install the Home or Pro edition.

dalchina, Jan 19, 2016
  10. Fitzy Win User
    I tried the in place repair install you suggested and nothing changed, start menu still the same and no windows store still.

So it looks like a fresh install it is then!

So when I reinstall Windows 10 and format my SSD it should recognise that I was already using the Pro edition before I reinstalled?

Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016
  11. Fitzy Win User
    Thanks for all your help guys, all seems to be working fine now, rebooted a couple of times and all relevant apps seem to be there now, just got to add some to start menu, even the windows store app is there now, had to do the reset on it but all seems fine.

Fitzy, Jan 19, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Glad you sorted it out- I'm a bit surprised the in-place repair didn't help, but as I said, it won't replace all settings. It is a very helpful technique though.

For the future- do use disk imaging. Use Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect Free + storage medium + their boot disk.
    Create and update the image periodically and before and after any major change.
    Thus you can restore your PC to a previous working state without technical assistance, and without a clean install, in probably under 40 mins depending on hardware and image size. (USB3 + SSD will be faster), and without having to configure your OS and reinstall programs.

dalchina, Jan 20, 2016
  13. Fitzy Win User

Weird Start Menu

Sorry dalchina, the in place repair did work, but only after a couple of reboots. Thanks for the tip on making regular back up images. I have Acronis True Image so will use that to make the images.

Fitzy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Weird Start Menu

1. Weird Start Menu - Similar Threads - Weird Start Menu

2. Weird visual start menu glitch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird visual start menu glitch: My start menu sometimes got really annoying glitch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-visual-start-menu-glitch/fc9e7019-b41e-4229-9d0b-e27264a2308a
  3. Weird visual start menu glitch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird visual start menu glitch: My start menu sometimes got really annoying glitch https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-visual-start-menu-glitch/fc9e7019-b41e-4229-9d0b-e27264a2308a
  4. Start Menu shortcut of Microsoft are looking weird

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu shortcut of Microsoft are looking weird: Hi,All my Microsoft/Windows shortcuts in the startmenu look weird. how can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-shortcut-of-microsoft-are-looking-weird/67216c47-6eaf-4d05-a3a5-ca086e199c6d
  5. Microsoft start menu weird glitch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft start menu weird glitch: Whenever I open anything Microsoft example start menu or Xbox app or the Microsoft store it just does this https://youtu.be/MNtuRoiILN0 pls help I just want to use the xbox app to talk to my friends but I cant pls pls help...
  6. Start menu is being weird? Please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu is being weird? Please help!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SmolPupple [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hz8rdk/start_menu_is_being_weird_please_help/
  7. weird problems with start menu and settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    weird problems with start menu and settings: Its my first post in this subreddit so be kind. I do tech support, so for me this one is weird In the last couple of days my main win10 machine has problem with the start power icon having no effect(right clicking works) and if i go to settings i can't type anything into the...
  8. Start menu weird folder icons

Start menu weird folder icons: Hello, Since some Windows 10 versions, I often have "weird" start menu folder icons, usually when resuming my laptop from sleep mode. The Windows 10 is always a clean install, and I have seen the issue with both Microsoft and HP drivers. Here's an example on how the...
  9. Weird Windows 10 Start Menu change

Weird Windows 10 Start Menu change: Hi, I had a friend contact me to say that their start menu had changed. I had a look, and it had indeed changed. The start menu opened to the All Apps by default, but showed small icons on the left for power, documents and other start menu items. I can't find any options to...
  10. Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu weirdness - self inflicted probably: My Start menu looks like this right now: [img] I unpinned everything I don't want but now all my programs are showing. I don't remember it being like this originally so I think it must be something I've done when trying different things out. What I want is to get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menus weird

2. weird start menu