Windows 10: What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'?

Discus and support What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In File Explorer I can see a number of ways to access my files. For example, if I wanted to go to my Pictures; I can go straight to Libraries... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jeddie, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Jeddie Win User

What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'?

In File Explorer I can see a number of ways to access my files. For example, if I wanted to go to my Pictures;
    I can go straight to Libraries >Pictures and make a selection Or
    I can go to 'This PC'> Pictures and make a selection

So what is the difference? I know I am looking at the same file. But I don't get why this functionality is there?

I know this is no big deal and I can just keep This PC closed and keep Libraries open for viewing purposes.

Am I missing something obvious?

Your thoughts?

:)

Jeddie, Sep 3, 2016

2. What is the difference between PC Suite and Ovi Suite please?

Quite easy.

PC-suite works as intended.

Ovi-suite does not. (it is alfa software)

lars67---01, Sep 3, 2016
  3. What is the difference between PC Suite and Ovi Suite please?

I am new user with a Nokia X6 and Windows 7. What is the difference between PC Suite and Ovi Suite please?

idkwia---01, Sep 3, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

I use This PC all the time to access my drives and recent files. Libraries are a central place to manage documents, pictures, music, etc. Here's an old article on libraries for Windows 7 (should still pertain to 10).

swarfega, Sep 3, 2016
  5. This PC is a replacement for My Computer, presumably because some senile individuals assumed that somehow at work they were connected to their machine at home when they clicked My Computer. Inside This PC is all the Documents, Photos etc that you're used to. No real explanation needed.

Libraries doesn't actually exist. It's a smart folder. What it does is presents the same folders you're used to (Docs, Photos etc), but when you select one of them it lists the contents of all the folders of the same type that you have access to in other people's User logins too. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Think of it this way. Tom makes an account for his son Jim. The account is limited, whereas Tom's account had Admin rights. When Tom clicks on Photos inside of Libraries, he will see his stuff, then below it (separated by a nice big sign) he will see what's in Jim's account Photos folder. By default, if you have a One Drive account, you will also see the contents of the documents folder you have in the cloud below that as well.

However, if Tom just went to This PC > Documents, he would see his files, without Jims or OneDrives.

Btw, this is just default behaviour. If you want to, you can add ANY folder to each of the smart folders inside Libraries. This makes it very useful as a quick way to gather content together for a particular job.

StarEmpire, Sep 3, 2016
  6. You are right , it sounds complicated, whether or not it sounds more complicated than it really is, well that's something I might not agree with. for now, I guess Ill live with chasing my pictures and looking all over for them. I appreciate you taking the time to help, thank you.

dearelliot, Sep 3, 2016
  7. mrgeek Win User

Click 'article', it's a link to Lifehacker article or here -
    Get to Know Windows 7 Libraries Inside and Out

If you are the only User on the PC, you can simplify things by hiding the libraries and simply use the This PC folders you are used to in prev Windows versions under My Computer. Click 'View' tab in File Explorer (see attached screenshot) and untick Show libraries.

What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'? [​IMG]

mrgeek, Sep 3, 2016
  8. pat247 Win User

Simplified:

Libraries=Lists

This PC= Actual Files

Libraries are convenient for looking at files but when I want to make changes or move files I always do it in This PC. I'm a dinosaur so take what I say with a grain of salt.

pat247, Sep 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Stevekir Win User
    I have never actually seen "Libraries" in Windows 10 (that is, something actually calling itself "Library"). I know what they are from W 7, and as someone above said, they are smart, presumably because they are effectively a shortcut which gathers up together various folders such as "Documents" (and any others added by the user). But "Libraries" as such don't appear in my computer anywhere (not that I worry).

However, Option 3 in Brink's tutorials quoted above (first image clip) seems to imply that "Documents", "Music" etc. are themselves Libraries, whereas in W 7 they were folders in Libraries. I think.

Now I'm confused.

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
  11. Well as most of you know with windows 10 , it seems I have pictures in "Documents" "Downloads" "Pictures" "One Drive" "Photos" and I think maybe somewhere else on windows ten, then in some of these places I have folders album, files, that hold pictures.. How nice it would be if I had all pictures in one place and they called that "Pictures" Just like my Vista back when. Now maybe Vista had a similar problem but I didn't encounter it so as far as I'm concerned it didn't exist.
    Also now when I add my latest pictures from camera by using my reader I have no idea where they are going, and I have to hunt for them, what surprises me is I cant seem to find the in of all places "Pictures"

dearelliot, Sep 3, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Steve, *Smile

This PC folders are links to only your actual personal folders. Think of these folders as just for quick access to files in your personal folders.

Libraries have folders you included from any location. You can set one of these included folders to be the default save to location when you save something into the library. The folders are still at their original location, and you can also access them from the library. If you like, give libraries a play with to see what you think.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the difference between 'This PC' and 'Libraries'? - Similar Threads - difference between 'This

2. What is the different between these kind of systems?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the different between these kind of systems?: What is the difference between Cross-language Windows 7 and Windows 7? I don't understand! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-different-between-these-kind-of/43967793-48e3-4f9d-81fc-1f9d43e5a30a
  3. what is the difference between these 2 examples

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what is the difference between these 2 examples: whea_uncorrectable_error bsod is an indication of a hardware problem take for example these 2 people who got that bsod:- 1) person aaa - aaa is getting that bsod multiple times in the same day and it can happen randomly when the pc is being used, when it's being shut down,...
  4. What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is the difference between System32 and SysWOW64?: So, there are two folders in C:\Windows called System32 and SysWOW64, and when i opened the folders they looked exactly the same. They even had the same copy of files like Command Prompt and Task Manager. Is there a difference in the files of these folders? Is one like a...
  5. folders vs libraries - what's the difference?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders vs libraries - what's the difference?: Hi everyone, I'm having trouble understanding the difference between folders and libraries in Windows, and understanding the advantages of using a library. A library, to me, just sounds like a collection of shortcuts. Why wouldn't you just create a folder with shortcuts...
  6. What’s the difference between these windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What’s the difference between these windows?: Right now I have windows 10 home. But I hear a lot about windows creator update? How do I know if I have this I’m not really sure if this is a whole is version or just an update.? If I don’t have it how do I go about getting it. I’m building a new pc and I’m installing a...
  7. What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What's the difference between a fresh install and reset of the PC?: Hi, I'd like to know if there are differences between doing a fresh install and reset the computer through the settings app. I don't understand the differences between the two options apart from the fact that the fresh install scan for updates and then reset the computer,...
  8. What is the difference between features and capabilities?

What is the difference between features and capabilities?: Is there a clear definition of package, feature and capabilities? My understanding is; Packages are file or group of files which is used to install a software App, driver?, feature, services, patches, update, on demand feature, anymore? into the OS. Features are...
  9. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  10. What is the difference between a factory reset and...

What is the difference between a factory reset and...: What is the difference between a factory reset and (I understand what a factory reset is) and creating a new user administrator and then deleting an old user administrator leaving only the new user. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks 132232

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Differen THIS PC AND LIBRARIES