Windows 10: What is the OneDrive folder?

Discus and support What is the OneDrive folder? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I see a folder titled OneDrive in Windows Explorer and I'm not sure how it works exactly. Can someone explain? 39620 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AshleyQuick, Feb 2, 2016.

1. What is the OneDrive folder?

I see a folder titled OneDrive in Windows Explorer and I'm not sure how it works exactly. Can someone explain?

:)

AshleyQuick, Feb 2, 2016
  2. Shaminda Hemanath [MVP], Feb 2, 2016
  3. garym123 Win User
    garym123, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

What is the OneDrive folder?

Hello Ashley, *Smile

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive.com. When you save files to OneDrive, the files are automatically available to access or share from any device, even if something happens to your PC.

We have several tutorials for OneDrive, but here are a few below to help learn more about it. Please give them a look through, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    The main advantage of One Drive is that you can easily share files. But if you do not want or need to share files, I would not use it.

6. So if I place files there, they are actually uploaded to a cloud server?

AshleyQuick, Feb 2, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct.

The files will be on your PC and on the cloud.

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  8. What is the OneDrive folder?

Great, thanks for the info! *Smile

AshleyQuick, Feb 2, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  10. mrgeek Win User
    Just be aware that whatever is in the OneDrive folders is synced between the cloud and your PC. This means if you add or delete files from a OneDrive folder, say Pictures, they are removed from the OneDrive Cloud as well. So, it is not designed to save you PC space by off loading files to a cloud. You can share files on OneDrive cloud by signing in to onedrive.live.com and right clicking a file and'Share' to get a link to send someone. Enjoy your new found 'toy'.

mrgeek, Feb 3, 2016
  11. Good to know, thank you.

AshleyQuick, Feb 3, 2016
  12. b1rd Win User
    Yes, good to know indeed, as I was unaware of this aspect of OneDrive.

13. mrgeek Win User

To further elaborate with a practical example of this- say I have a folder, This PC/Pictures/Wedding which has 100 pictures from a wedding. I want to share 20 of these with other people. I need to COPY these 20 to a created OneDrive/Pictures/Wedding sub-folder and generate a link so friends can view or download these 20 only. The orig 100, incl the copied 20, are still in This PC/Pictures while the 20 dupes are in a OneDrive folder on both the PC and the OneDrive Cloud.

If you had MOVED the 20, vs Copy, they are taken out of the orig 100 leaving 80 and if you later delete the folder or some of the pictures from the OneDrive folder, they are gone from both locations, hence LOST for good. It is important to understand the implications of syncing only the info in the OneDrive folders vs the This PC files which are independent. You can also, by right clicking the OneDrive tray icon/Settings, pick and choose which folder to sync too, but let's not complicate things for people totally unfamiliar with OneDrive features.
    Hope this helps somebody. *Wink

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is the OneDrive folder? - Similar Threads - OneDrive folder

2. OneDrive wouldn't upload folders during sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive wouldn't upload folders during sync: There has been issues with my onedrive not uploading up folders but can download from the Shared Company OnceDrive. When OneDrive syncs, it only downloads, but does not upload new information/data from my workstation...
  3. OneDrive wouldn't upload folders during sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive wouldn't upload folders during sync: There has been issues with my onedrive not uploading up folders but can download from the Shared Company OnceDrive. When OneDrive syncs, it only downloads, but does not upload new information/data from my workstation...
  4. DO NOT UPLOAD FOLDER TO ONEDRIVE CLOUD STORAGE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DO NOT UPLOAD FOLDER TO ONEDRIVE CLOUD STORAGE: I have a folder in File Explorer which I keep junk items, temporary items and a place to put stuff till I find a place for them.I do not want that folder or its contents uploaded to the Cloud by Onedrive. How do I set this up?...
  5. DO NOT UPLOAD FOLDER TO ONEDRIVE CLOUD STORAGE

DO NOT UPLOAD FOLDER TO ONEDRIVE CLOUD STORAGE: I have a folder in File Explorer which I keep junk items, temporary items and a place to put stuff till I find a place for them.I do not want that folder or its contents uploaded to the Cloud by Onedrive. How do I set this up?...
  6. How to uninstall OneDrive when I can't find it anywhere except in my user folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to uninstall OneDrive when I can't find it anywhere except in my user folder: I want to uninstall it and remove the folders for Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I can't find the program ANYWHERE on my computer or in my registry to uninstall it. It seems MS wants to force you to keep it. I want it gone, and all those folders gone. Please help me. TIA...
  7. How to uninstall OneDrive when I can't find it anywhere except in my user folder

How to uninstall OneDrive when I can't find it anywhere except in my user folder: I want to uninstall it and remove the folders for Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I can't find the program ANYWHERE on my computer or in my registry to uninstall it. It seems MS wants to force you to keep it. I want it gone, and all those folders gone. Please help me. TIA...
  8. I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever...: I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever i search from previous question are not up to date....
  9. I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever...

I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever...: I want to specifically stop 1 folder from syncing to onedrive . How can i do that, whatever i search from previous question are not up to date....
  10. How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer

How to collapse OneDrive folder in File explorer: When opening a new file explorer windows, the OneDrive folder on the left is always open. I want it to be collapsed by default. Is there a way to do it? It blocks my Quick Access folders. I hate it....