Windows 10: Where's my hibernation file?

Discus and support Where's my hibernation file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I lost my hibernation capability in my upgrade from Win7 to Win10. So I am trying to get it back. Couldn't find hiberfil.sys in C:\ so I looked for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bob12603, Nov 9, 2015.

1. bob12603 Win User

Where's my hibernation file?

I lost my hibernation capability in my upgrade from Win7 to Win10. So I am trying to get it back.

Couldn't find hiberfil.sys in C:\ so I looked for instructions on this site and found them. But here's what is happening (cut and paste from the elevated command window):

C:\>c:\windows\system32\powercfg /h /type full
    The hiberfile size has been set to: 6361485312 bytes.

C:\>dir h*
    Volume in drive C is OS
    Volume Serial Number is C696-2CB5

Directory of C:\

File Not Found

C:\>

My file manager is setup to show hidden files but it also does not show hiberfil.sys in c:\

Just to be thorough I also searched the entire C drive for files containing "hib" but could not find hiberfil.sys.

Thanks, Bob

:)

bob12603, Nov 9, 2015
  2. mkt90 Win User

apps close when laptop hibernates

Whenever my laptop goes into hibernation all the apps i had open close. Whenever my laptop comes out of hibernation it's like it has been shutdown opposed to hibernation. it has not always done this but i would like it to go back to normal. when it comes
    out of hibernation i should be able to pick up where i left off. Help please!

mkt90, Nov 9, 2015
  3. Laptop hibernate control.

where do I find out how to hibernate on my laptop?

GenevieveHibbs, Nov 9, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 9, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Also you need to untick "Hide protected operating system files" as well as tick "Show hidden files". Both are described in the first tutorial link above.

lx07, Nov 9, 2015
  6. bob12603 Win User
    Thank you very much Brink and Halasz. I knew from the outset that the migration from Win7 to Win10 had lost some options because under Win10 I no longer had a Hibernate power menu option. I was misled by the Win10 File Explorer View "ribbon" "Hidden items" check box - maybe because I had forgotten that there are both hidden files and "protected operating system files". When I got into the File Explorer options I found that the option to display hidden files had been preserved. The option to display protected operating system files was not checked but I cannot swear that I had it turned on in Win7.

Long story made short ... I now have a hibernate power menu option in Win10 like I used to have in Win7 ... thanks to Brink and Halasz.

Bob

Bob

bob12603, Nov 9, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad we could help Bob. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where's my hibernation file? - Similar Threads - Where's hibernation file

2. Where are my files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my files ?: How can I still have ALL my files in My Documents and OneDrive ? Because today, I just realized that My Documents folder C:\Users\dad\Documents is empty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-files/e4d77bbc-f552-46f9-9499-d925b32e274e
  3. Where Are My Files??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where Are My Files??: I recently subscribed to OneDrive rather than buy a bigger HDD. But now, I am unable to find my files. I use File Manager to navigate and if I go to my document folder in C: drive, I see lots of my familiar folders but they are al empty when I open them to look for a specific...
  4. Where Are My Files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where Are My Files??: I recently subscribed to OneDrive rather than buy a bigger HDD. But now, I am unable to find my files. I use File Manager to navigate and if I go to my document folder in C: drive, I see lots of my familiar folders but they are al empty when I open them to look for a specific...
  5. Where are my files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are my files?: I recently purchased a new PC to replace my old one and I'm new to OneDrive. I purchased m365 and backed up my old PC to OneDrive so that I could easily transfer everything to the new PC and have access to current versions of Office applications. On the new PC I checked...
  6. Where are my files?!?!?!?!

Where are my files?!?!?!?!: I unlinked my one drive from my computer and everything is gone!!! All my documents and important files have disappeared! How do I get them back?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-files/4ed34bcf-ed6c-4090-a2b7-04fd62d486ae
  7. Where are my files

Where are my files: My system did an automatic upgrade and now I cannot find my files, pictures, downloads, etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-are-my-files/2c1c067c-f3ed-4443-965d-34d4082b9e54
  8. Where are my files?

Where are my files?: Hi, A couple of weeks ago, in preparation of upgrading from windows 7 to window 10, I thought I downloaded/copied my excel, documents and downloads onto a SanDisk. When I plug in the usb and open the device there is a file named E:\takeout-20200118T193651Z-001.zip. I...
  9. Where are my files???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where are my files???: My Windows 10 updated, and my desktop is now wiped clean. The background is changed, and all my files and shortcuts I had stored on the desktop are missing. Please tell me how to get them back!...
  10. Where is Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Where is Hibernate: Hibernation is turned on, as shown by the presence of the hiberfil.sys operating system file; however, I do not see the word "hibernation" when I right-click on Start and select "Shut down or sign out." Also, my APC UPS does not object to the absence of hibernate, which...