Windows 10: Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile

Discus and support Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi on Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile

How to: Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile

Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile [​IMG]
    Information When you’re not connected to WiFi, your phone will periodically send out a signal for WiFi networks in the area to help you get connected. That signal will contain the unique physical hardware address (aka: MAC) for your device. Some places, for example shopping centres, supermarkets or other public areas, might use this unique address to track your movement in that area. If your WiFi hardware (ex: Lumia 950 and 950 XL) supports it, you can turn on random hardware addresses to make it harder for people to track where you go for any network.

You can use random hardware address for any Wi-Fi network. After you connect to a Wi-Fi network, you can then determine if you want to use a random hardware address for that specific network.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to use random hardware addresses (MAC) for Wi-Fi networks on your Windows 10 Mobile phone.

Warning Your home wireless network may rely on your phone's MAC address for the internet connection. If so, then turning on to use random hardware addresses for your home network may cause it to not establish the connection.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Any Wi-Fi Network
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Specific Wi-Fi Network

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Any Wi-Fi Network
    1. Open Settings, and tap on the Network & wireless icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Tap on Wi-Fi. (see screenshot below)

3. Tap on Manage. (see screenshot below)

4. Under Random hardware addresses, select to turn Off (default), On, or Change daily for what you want. (see screenshot below)

5. If you like, tap on the Start *Start button at the bottom of your phone to go back to your Start screen. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Specific Wi-Fi Network
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & wireless icon. (see screenshot below)

2. Tap on Wi-Fi. (see screenshot below)

3. Select and hold on the Wi-Fi network name (ex: Brink-Router2), and tap on Edit. (see screenshot below)

4. Under Random hardware addresses, select to turn Off (default), On, or Change daily for what you want. (see screenshot below)

5. If you like, tap on the Start *Start button at the bottom of your phone to go back to your Start screen. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  2. Bree Win User

Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature)

I'm not sure if that's a feature available on a PC. @Brink's tutorial on the subject only talks about Windows 10 Mobile...

3. Brink Win User
    Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

Hello bryceba, and welcome to Ten Forums. Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile :)

Correct. If your Wi-Fi hardware supports it, you can turn on random hardware addresses to make it harder for people to track you when your PC scans for networks and connects.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. [BUG] "Random hardware addresses" disable for known network does not work!

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Is your device connected to domain network?
    2. May I know what you exactly mean by "the "Random hardware address" is used even for known "whitelisted" networks"?

There's two controls for using random hardware addresses—one is for all Wi-Fi networks and the other is for the specific Wi-Fi network you choose. When you turn it on for all networks, random hardware addresses are used while your
    PC scans for networks and connects to any network. When it's turned on for a specific network you choose, random hardware addresses are used the next time you connect to that network.

Refer the article ‘How and why to use random hardware
    addresses
    ’ for more information.

We await for your response.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature)

It's not phone dependent. But it does depend on your WiFi card supporting the feature. What card are you using?

Intel 8265:

Edit: Just checked that my Broadcom 4352 card does not support this.

PolarNettles, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile - Similar Threads - Random Hardware Addresses

2. How to turn off "Random hardware addresses" if there's no switch in settings.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to turn off "Random hardware addresses" if there's no switch in settings.: Hello, my problem is not that I don't know where to turn off/on using Random hardware addresses for Wi-Fi connections. I have seen people say that you will only see that switch in Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi if your hardware supports it, or the driver or something....
  3. Wi fi compatibility is turned off.

Wi fi compatibility is turned off.: I have lenovo G580 laptop i can't turn on my wifi option even i can't click on it .. I already used power management option , device manager for install and uninstall drivers, mobility option etc. I Can't rid off this problem....
  4. wi-fi address

wi-fi address: Hello, How do I change my computers wi-fi address? Thanks. Ceejay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-address/7e8546a1-a61c-4431-9b9f-a657ef8f3669
  5. WI-FI turn off

WI-FI turn off: HI how can Iturn on The WI-FI on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6929nr Notebook PC? iput the Network security ey ,but ican't connect to the wi fiItroubleshooting ,a red Xsay that i have not preferret wireless network, Idon't know how this is hapen,is work good with the etherne...
  6. windows 10 wi-fi turned off on laptop ??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 wi-fi turned off on laptop ??: update turned off wi-fi on windows wi-fi . on laptop . turn back on ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-wi-fi-turned-off-on-laptop/fb0bd26b-4f59-4c3f-94fa-a02a9823ef72
  7. Can't turn off Wi-Fi

Can't turn off Wi-Fi: I am using Windows 10, and I have Ethernet. I cannot turn off my Wi-Fi, and I've already looked it up for an hour with no results helping. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-turn-off-wi-fi/b684c9a4-b3c5-4418-8f80-9c4ab65ae096
  8. Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature)

Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature): Hi. As you can see, I don't have the above feature showing. Can it be made to show or is there a command prompt instruction to toggle it? Thank you. 102078
  9. Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 [img] Information When you're not connected to Wi-Fi, your PC sends a signal to look for Wi-Fi networks in the area...
  10. Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10: How to: Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Wi-Fi Communication in Windows 10 Wi-Fi is a wireless local area network (WLAN) technology and standard that uses high-frequency radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet and network...