Windows 10: Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by bryceba, Mar 6, 2016.

1. bryceba Win User

Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you're not connected to Wi-Fi, your PC sends a signal to look for Wi-Fi networks in the area to help you get connected. The signal contains the unique physical hardware address (aka: MAC) for your device. Some places, for example shopping malls, stores, or other public areas, might use this unique address to track your movement in that area. If your Wi-Fi hardware supports it, you can turn on random hardware addresses to make it harder for people to track you when your PC scans for networks and connects.

There's two controls for using random hardware addresses—one is for all networks and the other is for the specific network you're connected to. When you turn it on for all networks, random hardware addresses are used when your PC scans for networks and connects to any network. When it's turned on for a specific network you're connected to, random hardware addresses are used the next time you connect to that network.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to use random hardware addresses (MAC) for Wi-Fi networks in Windows 10.

Warning Your home broadband Internet Service Provider (ISP) may rely on your network adapter's MAC address for the internet connection. If so, then turning on to use random hardware addresses for your home broadband may cause it to not establish the connection.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for New Wi-Fi Network Connections
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Specific Wi-Fi Network Connection

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for New Wi-Fi Network Connections
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Wi-Fi on the left side, and turn on or off (default) Use random hardware addresses for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Random Hardware Addresses for Specific Wi-Fi Network Connection
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Wi-Fi on the left side, and click/tap on the Manage known networks link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Wi-Fi network connection (ex: "Brink-Router"), and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Under Random hardware addresses, Select On, Off (default), or Change daily in the Use random hardware addresses for this network drop menu for what you want. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

bryceba, Mar 6, 2016

2. What is "Random Hardware Address" ?

What is "Random Hardware Address" ?

I want to know the detail information of "Random Hardware Address" function of Wi-Fi.

Please the documents/url about it.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

Yoshihiro Kawababata, Mar 6, 2016
  3. dbodey Win User
    Windows 10 laptop WIFI Mac address keeps changing. How to disable it?

I have the same issue. I can confirm that "Use random hardware addresses" is set to Off, from the Wi-Fi option in "Network & Internet" options.

dbodey, Mar 6, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello bryceba, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Correct. If your Wi-Fi hardware supports it, you can turn on random hardware addresses to make it harder for people to track you when your PC scans for networks and connects.

Brink, Mar 6, 2016
  5. bryceba Win User
    kinda hadda feelin that was gonna be the answer!! figured id ask to know for sure though and thanks partner I appreciate ya getting back at me with the answer

bryceba, Mar 8, 2016
  6. There is a little mistake Shawn: (Step 1.2) text is correct but SS is wrong. It can be misleading

EDIT: Sory I'm wrong. Step 1.2 and step 2.2's SS must change or text (There is something wrong but I did'nt realize) *Busted

Yasak Hayat, Mar 8, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Yasak,

Thank you. *Smile

Brink, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10

I do not see this option in my Windows 10 with a Broadcom BCM41342, but I am able to change my MAC address in Linux with the same wireless card. Any reasons why?

Charles Milette, Mar 31, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 1, 2016
  10. I've just done a clean install, and this option appeared. *sarc
    Seems that the default Windows driver does more than my manufacturer's.

Charles Milette, Apr 23, 2016
  11. Forbin Win User
    Hi, Brink.

The choice of "Change Daily" seems pretty self-explanatory in the per-network WiFi settings.
    However, it begs a question:

How often is the MAC address changed if you simply select "On" instead of "Change Daily"?

In particular, suppose you go to location "A" and connect, then travel to location "B" and connect (different SSID), then back to "A" -- all in the same day. What happens? What if they were physically different locations but used the same router hardware and the same SSID? (For example, a chain of stores such as a Publix.)

Or, suppose you're in location "A" and connect, then disconnect, then connect again. Does "On" mean you spoof a different MAC every time you connect?

Here's hoping you know the answer! Thanks!

Forbin, Aug 30, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Forbin, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

"On" should be each time you connect.

It will only apply to the Wi-Fi adapter though.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Random

2. The random MAC address toggle in my WI-FI vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The random MAC address toggle in my WI-FI vanished: hey,I have been using the random hardware access settings for a while now spoofing the mac address, and it seem to have just vanished. I have went into device manager itself to manually change the MAC address, but the Network address tab just wasn't there. After all of that I...
  3. The random MAC address toggle in my WI-FI vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The random MAC address toggle in my WI-FI vanished: hey,I have been using the random hardware access settings for a while now spoofing the mac address, and it seem to have just vanished. I have went into device manager itself to manually change the MAC address, but the Network address tab just wasn't there. After all of that I...
  4. The random MAC address toggle in my WI-FI vanished

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Random Hardware Mac Address - Windows 10

Random Hardware Mac Address - Windows 10: Hi has microsoft removed the random mac address option from windows 10? There is no "Random Hardware Address" in my network settingsas indicated by microsoft and it's not clear if this option is available only if the network card and its drivers support it or if microsoft...
  6. Wi fi compatibility is turned off.

Wi fi compatibility is turned off.: I have lenovo G580 laptop i can't turn on my wifi option even i can't click on it .. I already used power management option , device manager for install and uninstall drivers, mobility option etc. I Can't rid off this problem....
  7. WI-FI turn off

WI-FI turn off: HI how can Iturn on The WI-FI on my laptop HP Pavilion dv6929nr Notebook PC? iput the Network security ey ,but ican't connect to the wi fiItroubleshooting ,a red Xsay that i have not preferret wireless network, Idon't know how this is hapen,is work good with the etherne...
  8. Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature)

Random Hardware Addresses (missing wi-fi feature): Hi. As you can see, I don't have the above feature showing. Can it be made to show or is there a command prompt instruction to toggle it? Thank you. 102078
  9. Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10: How to: Wi-Fi - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Wi-Fi Communication in Windows 10 Wi-Fi is a wireless local area network (WLAN) technology and standard that uses high-frequency radio waves to provide wireless high-speed Internet and network...
  10. Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile: How to: Wi-Fi Random Hardware Addresses - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Turn On or Off Random Hardware MAC Addresses for Wi-Fi on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information When you’re not connected to WiFi, your phone will periodically send out a signal for WiFi...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows wifi random mac

2. random hardware address and radio settings for WiFi speed

3. Randow hardware Address windows 10

4. turn off random hardware addresses windows 10,
  5. Microsoft Computer: turn off : Mac address,
  6. randow hardare mac 2019,
  7. random mac address