Windows 10: Win Defender (recent update)

Discus and support Win Defender (recent update) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Last night I shut down and installed updates. Today it installed everything and I noticed windows defender is turned on and sitting in the taskbar now.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Arily, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Arily Win User

Win Defender (recent update)

Last night I shut down and installed updates. Today it installed everything and I noticed windows defender is turned on and sitting in the taskbar now. I normally don't use defender I have Avast however I opened it up and thought I would check it out...It says last scan not available but for the life of me I can't figure out how to run a scan. I thought I would run a scan for shits and giggles, if anyone can let me know how to do that. I don't really understand the new layout at all and I'm probably going to end up turning it off anyways.

Thanks,
    *Biggrin

EDIT: Also the only option from taskbar is open, can't find any buttons within the defender window...And when I do decide to shut it off...how do I do that? Because I can't find that button either. lololol

:)

Arily, Aug 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 Defender

My PC was recently updated I found windows defender working. this hasn't happened since I upgraded to windows 10. I had M.S.E. on my win 7 P.C. I have always wanted win defender to work but was unable to resolve that on my. Thanks for the Update Woot.Woot.

chriskrone, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Hero1318 Win User
    Windows Defender updates

Win 10 Pro (1511), 64-bit, isn't showing Windows Defender updates in the Update history. Is that by design? I
    think previous Win 10 builds listed WD updates in the history.

If I have Windows Defender check for updates, it says "up-to-date" and most recent definitions update was installed today.

The last update listed in Update History is a Flash update, 3 days ago.

[Moved from Windows 10]

Hero1318, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Your use of the phrase 'Shutdown and install updates' would strongly suggest you have just updated to the Creators Update. Yes, Defender has had a big makeover. The icon now opens the Windows Defender Security Center which does a lot more than just control AV scanning, hence its appearance on the taskbar.

With your Avast installed, Defender's real time protection should have been automatically turned off, but it will still do limited periodic scans. A scan (unlike real-time protection) doesn't clash with third-party AVs.

Open the Windows Defender Security Center and click on 'Virus & threat protection'. On this page you can start a manual scan. You can also click on 'Virus & threat protection settings' to confirm that real-time protection is indeed turned off.

There's a lot more about the new Windows Defender Security Center in this tutorial.
    Open Windows Defender Security Center in Windows 10

5. Arily Win User
    Ok on my window when I first open it. I click virus and threat protection. There is no button for a manual scan, and then towards the bottom it says, "Windows Defender Antivirus Options" with a down arrow and periodic scanning is turned off.
    I clicked Settings on the main page and turned off Windows Defender Antivirus notification (in my attempt to completely turn it off) then I went into Virus and Threat Protection settings where Real-time Protection is turned on and no matter how many times I've tried when I hit off and the window pops up to make changes to computer and I hit yes it will not no matter what turn off Real-time Protection it stays on and keeps switching on. Same for the notification settings...as soon as I close and reopen the window the notification settings are staying on when I've turned them off.
    I rather since I have avast turn windows defender completely off and remove the icon from taskbar as I will not be needing it or using it. I've restarted the computer twice and it doesn't fix it...Seems broke rofl

Arily, Aug 28, 2017
  6. bo elam Win User
    You can turn WD off completely by doing the steps described in this tutorial. I did it using Option 2.
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

You can remove the icon from the taskbar by disabling WD Notification icon via Task manager>Start.

Make sure to reboot after turning off Windows defender

Bo

bo elam, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win Defender (recent update) - Similar Threads - Defender recent update

2. win defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win defender: WIN DEFENDER FOR WIN 10 is continiously releasing signature updates as any other anti virus does, i received 3 to 4 updates in 3 hrs, it impossible to stop my self in the middle of work and check for updates, this kind of security update can not be delayed at any cost so i...
  3. win defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win defender: WIN DEFENDER FOR WIN 10 is continiously releasing signature updates as any other anti virus does, i received 3 to 4 updates in 3 hrs, it impossible to stop my self in the middle of work and check for updates, this kind of security update can not be delayed at any cost so i...
  4. win defender

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. recent win 10 updates? windows home

in Windows 10 Support
    recent win 10 updates? windows home: I can tell windows to delay or stop updates but we know the omnipotent overlords at microsoft can overrule anything we say. the computer is not usually on the internet (also prevents viruses) i have to go on the internet to download new software. are there any recent updates...
  6. Win 10 Defender definition updates.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Defender definition updates.: My Win 10 has become unable to find any new Defender virus definitions since 11/10/2020. I tried to trigger the update but it says my Windows is up to date. I have gone to the latest update, downloaded it and ran the updates. I runs and when finished, I check, and the...
  7. Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Was there an update to the Win 10 file structure , recently ?: I was working on building a new computer for my brother, that he hoped would still be a win 7 / Win 10 dual boot. The issue he had with his old PC was that if he opened Win 7, the first thing it would often do was to decide things were broken and scan and "fix" all the...
  8. Windows defender recent threat

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender recent threat: Hi guys, I got a threat in my recent scan with Windows defender. In my protection history it says threat removed or restored and the only action I have available is "allow". Does this mean the threat has been dealt with? Obviously clicking allow doesn't make much...
  9. win defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win defender: how can I get into quarantine file to allow game to play. yes I have searched through the on line and on pc but can not find then as game I play states that . that might be the cause of why it crashes...
  10. Win defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win defender: Windows defender says there is a problem with the driver for " Intel(R) trusted execution engine interface" in the "device performance and health" window.Intel driver and support assistant says no problems or updates!! Why is there this anomaly?...