Windows 10: Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender"

Discus and support Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; All Can someone tell me if the option above has vanished as a result of the Windows Update of 10 10 2017? I no longer see this option. How can... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mr Morgan, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Mr Morgan Win User

Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender"

All

Can someone tell me if the option above has vanished as a result of the Windows Update of 10 10 2017?

I no longer see this option.

How can I re-enable it?

Thanks

:)

Mr Morgan, Oct 10, 2017

2. Windows defender in Windows 10 64 bit

It was actually "taken away" in Windows 8/8.1; but “Scan with Windows Defender” was added to the Windows 10 context menu in November:

Windows 10 November Update: Right Click Scan with Windows Defender

In Windows 8/8.1 you can add a Windows Defender command line scan to the context menu with either a downloaded reg file, or a DIY batch file:

"scan with Windows Defender" missing in context menu

GreginMich, Oct 10, 2017
  3. Windows Defender- Can I scan a folder or program on demand?

No one seems to know why the context-menu scan was dropped – but you can still get the equivalent functionality with the command line interface, although it’s little on the homely side. You can either download and run a reg file to get a context-menu
    scan; or you can use your own 2-line batch file for drag-and-drop and context-menu scanning. Both methods are covered in this thread:

"scan with Windows Defender" missing in context menu

GreginMich, Oct 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Which version of 10? Anniversary Update (1607) or Creators Update (1703)? Both got cumulative updates on Tuesday 10th.

My 1703 has had the update (now on build 15063.674) and I still have the 'Scan with Windows Defender...' context menu.

Maybe it's something more than just a missing menu, can you start a manual custom scan from Defender itself? If not, malware may be stopping you. If there's nothing untoward going on, then this tutorial should help.

Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

5. Mr Morgan Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Creators Edition, Version 1703 with Build 15063.674.

But I can only run manual scans within Windows Defender itself, but from a context menu.

I have since applied a fix at Add Scan with Windows Defender to Windows 10s Right-Click menu and this does open a command prompt which runs a scan. However, it is limited.

But where has the original option gone?

Mr Morgan, Oct 10, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
  7. Mr Morgan Win User
    I should have remembered. This is to do with settings in Malwarebytes for Windows Action Centre. This issue is resolved.

Mr Morgan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender" - Similar Threads - context menu option

2. Missing "Open With" Option in Windows 10 Context Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing "Open With" Option in Windows 10 Context Menu: Hi, I've noticed that the "Open With" option is missing from the context menu in Windows 10. When I right-click on a file, I expect to see the "Open With" menu to choose which program to open the file with, but it's not there. I've tried restarting my computer and checking...
  3. Unable to remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Windows Explorer context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Windows Explorer context menu: To remove `Scan with Windows Defender` from Windows Explorer's context menu, I obtained `remove Scan with Windows Defender.reg` from here:https://winaero.com/download-remove-scan-with-windows-defender-context-menu-in-windows-10 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  4. Unable to remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Windows Explorer context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Windows Explorer context menu: To remove `Scan with Windows Defender` from Windows Explorer's context menu, I obtained `remove Scan with Windows Defender.reg` from here:https://winaero.com/download-remove-scan-with-windows-defender-context-menu-in-windows-10 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...
  5. Unable to remove "Scan with Windows Defender" from Windows Explorer context menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?: How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu in Windows Explorer?Win 10 Home 64 bit, new high-specs PC; I am reluctant to make registry changes....
  7. laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry

laptop is missing "scan with windows defender" context menu entry: So this is an old laptop. We're talking core2duo old. Its running the 20H2 build of windows 19041.153. (so are all my pc's at this point) for some reason it doesnt have the context menu entry for scan with windows defender. The other pc's do. All settings are 1:1 as far as...
  8. Spellcheck context menu option in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Spellcheck context menu option in Windows 10: Version 1909 Build 18363.657 Spellcheck is enabled in Devices/Typing. But applications that accept typed input generally have a R-click menu option 'Check Spelling' - and it has suddenly and globally become unselected. Ticking it works, but doesn't stick beyond that session....
  9. Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu

Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu: in 1803, i can't scan with context menu. it says admin limited access to some areas of the app. that's on the admin account. any idea how to fix? (ps.. using 3rd party av.. though why should that matter? worked in 1709) 109765
  10. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other...