Windows 10: Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad

Discus and support Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My (legal) copy of Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad - and Notepad only...*Huh All other apps have it, so what to do? Thank you.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Kokopelli, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Kokopelli Win User

Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad

My (legal) copy of Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad - and Notepad only...*Huh All other apps have it, so what to do?
    Thank you.

Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad [​IMG]

:)

Kokopelli, Jun 22, 2017
  2. sixt5cuda Win User

Windows 10 lost my pinned OneDrive file links on the task bar

First, my files are not missing, I simply cannot access them the same way I did with Windows 8 and 8.1

Correct behavior from Windows 8.1:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Find and open Notepad file "Notes.txt" located in a OneDrive folder

3) Notepad is pinned to the task bar

4) Right-click on Notepad icon in task bar

5) List of recent files appears, including files recently opened on OneDrive

6) Right-click on "Notes.txt", left-click on Pin To This List

7) "Notes.txt" is now quickly accessible from the list of files in the Notepad list on the task bar

Under Windows 10, step 5 is broken. Files located on OneDrive never appear in the list of recent items for a pinned application on the task bar. This behavior is duplicated on the Start Menu Jump List.

Under Windows 8.1, I had many pinned documents connected to applications on my task bar. As soon as Windows 10 booted the first time, these links disappeared. Links to documents on the desktop or in my local Documents folder, remained linked to task bar
    applications.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or is it just my computer?

sixt5cuda, Jun 22, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    how to show recent files in notepad for windows 10

Open notepad then right click on the icon on the task bar, you should see a list of recent files.

if you pin notepad to the taskbar, you can right click on the icon and see recent files without opening notepad.

Martmcd, Jun 22, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Jun 22, 2017
  5. spunk Win User
    spunk, Jun 22, 2017
  6. Kokopelli Win User
    Thanks philc43 and spunk. That didn't do it; good thinking though. That switch was turned on you see.This kind of thing is one reason of many I think I'll revert to 7. 10 is, still a year after going RTM/Gold, buggy like a beta version...*Mad I am not impressed. Things (like the above) that 'should' work don't, despite the settings being correct. the USB-device recognition is shaky at best (never a problem with 7) and so on ad nauseam.

But thanks guys.

Kokopelli, Jun 22, 2017
  7. Anak Win User
  8. Bree New Member

Sometimes the jump list for an individual app can become corrupted, this can happen in 7 too. The same thing happened recently for this poster's Powerpoint. If you can identify the database for Notepad's jump list (almost impossible) deleting it should fix this. Otherwise the fix is to clear ALL jump lists. One way is to turn that switch off then back on again.

Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

9. Kokopelli Win User
    Anak - I will try that only not 'til tomorrow as I am elsewhere engaged later. But I will report back. You said: 'make sure the tips from philc43 and spunk are also on.' To quote myself from the first reply of 5 hrs ago up there: 'That didn't do it; good thinking though. That switch was turned on you see.'

Bree - I'll follow your advice as well tomorrow and report back then. But this is one thing that bugs me about Windows 10 - this perpetual fiddling 'under the hood' with this switch and that setting.
    Also, there are often several ways to go to arrive at the same point, do the same adjustment. It's confusing to me and not as straightforward as Windows 7 where you did almost all adjustments and customization via Control Panel or else by way of a registry tweak. Like the Terminator 'I'll be baack'.
    But first some whoop-de-doo and all-night mischief...it's midsummer eve today, a big deal here, and this high up north the sun barely sets all night but the temperature never drops below 68-70º F. So, the stage is set.
    Toodle-oo.

Kokopelli, Jun 22, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Sounds like you'd appreciate 'God Mode'...

Create Control Panel All Tasks Shortcut in Windows 10

Enjoy your midsummer festivities!

11. Kokopelli Win User
    Thanks for replying Bree. 'Enjoy your midsummer festivities!' oh, I did (it's now 8:42 a.m. the next day, Saturday) and then some.
    Yesterday when I posted last I was thinking to myself 'I'll probably have a head and a half tomorrow - but that's Tomorrow Guys' problem. Me, I'm Party guy and aim to paar-tay'. You know how that goes...

Ah yes, it all comes back to me...'God Mode' The very name...that was for me. Anyway, before I saw your reply I tried this method, suggested @ howtogeek.com and coming from Microsoft itself:

Jump List is likely corrupted in AutomaticDestinations-hidden system folder.
    To resolve and fix the issue, follow these steps:
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Type or copy and paste the following into the address bar:%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    3. Identify files that are comparatively larger in size than the rest of the file, such as files that have file size of 1 MB or more.Delete the abnormal file(s).
    4. The recent items functionality on Jump Lists will be restored. The recent items on the Jump Lists will be re-added as the program is been used. However, do note that the solution does not restore the previously pinned items. So user will have to pin new items again.

and rebooted. Still the same-ol' same-ol'. Also, I ran Turn_On_Recent_Items_and_Frequent_Places.reg as suggested by philc43. Same difference. After this I will try the as yet untried suggestions from you and Anak. 'I'll be...' etc.

Kokopelli, Jun 23, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Jun 23, 2017
  13. Kokopelli Win User

'Notepad has never had this feature.' you say? Well, 'Ignorance more often begets self-confidence than does knowledge', true, and you are talking through your hat.

How could I possibly miss something I never had? Are you the only one of the people who have so far been kind enough to offer tips and suggested possible solutions to be correctly informed?
    At the moment, I have no machine running Windows 7 and so can not prove you wrong right here, but this link goes some way towards that end:

Recent Notepad files (.txt) not displayed any more - Windows 7 Help Forums.
    Karma, another misguided soul who remembers things that never were...here's another pertinent link referring to Windows 10:

Show history for notepad by right click - Microsoft Community
    Now, do you have the gall to suggest that the people who posted in these forums as well as those who responded are wrong while you alone are right?

GOMF already, "guru".

Kokopelli, Jun 23, 2017
  14. Anak Win User
    Here's win7's notepad recent list:

And win10's:

15. Mooly Win User
    I use the recent and pinned options all the time. Couldn't do without it tbh.

Mooly, Jun 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 doesn't keep a recent file-list for Notepad - Similar Threads - doesn't keep recent

2. Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?: I have a batch file that makes several new folders at a time based on our company's new customer information. I open the batch file in Notepad and paste the data into it from Excel and then save and close it. I then run it as a batch file to create the new folders. I have...
  3. Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can the Windows Notepad Recent list include a pinned .bat file?: I have a batch file that makes several new folders at a time based on our company's new customer information. I open the batch file in Notepad and paste the data into it from Excel and then save and close it. I then run it as a batch file to create the new folders. I have...
  4. Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.

Old files showing up in recent files list Windows 10.: Each time I boot up the computer, a number of files will be added to the recent files list. These are old files that I have not accessed recently in some cases not for months or years. All of the files added are word, excel or PDF documents. Please advise....
  5. My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.: The recent file list in excel keeps getting cleaqred by something.the files are still on my hard drive but they don't show up in the recent files list.some times when I open the opne files view the recent files will be there for a few secound and then dissappear.I have talked...
  6. My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.

My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.: The recent file list in excel keeps getting cleaqred by something.the files are still on my hard drive but they don't show up in the recent files list.some times when I open the opne files view the recent files will be there for a few secound and then dissappear.I have talked...
  7. My recent file list in excel keep getting cleared.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. NotePad Recent-Files ShortCut.

in Windows 10 Customization
    NotePad Recent-Files ShortCut.: Is there a way for me to re-enable my NotePad’s recent-files shortcut?Once upon a time I pinned NotePad to my TaskBar, and – when I would right-click on it – a list of some of my most recent NotePad files would show up, and the files on that list could be pinned right there...
  9. Notepad is not updating Recent Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Notepad is not updating Recent Files: When I right click on the Notepad icon on my toolbar in Windows 10 it gives me a list of Recent Files, but they are only old files that I have opened, not any new ones that I have created recently, which are the ones I want to find to get back to quickly. I have the same...
  10. How do I get Notepad to list recently opened Notepad files?

How do I get Notepad to list recently opened Notepad files?: Today, right clicking on the Notepad icon on the taskbar has stopped giving a list of recently open Notepad files. This list is extremely useful to me. Is there any way to recover this feature ? UPDATE: When I left click and right click several times, there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 notepad jump list broken

2. windows 10 notepad recent file list

3. get rid of recent log in notepad windows 10