Windows 10: Windows 10 fails to upgrade i'm about to give up.

Discus and support Windows 10 fails to upgrade i'm about to give up. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi People, A few days ago a blue dialog popped up on my screen saying the windows 10 fall creator update was ready to be installed so i did but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rscalover, Dec 29, 2017.

1. rscalover Win User

Windows 10 fails to upgrade i'm about to give up.

Hi People,

A few days ago a blue dialog popped up on my screen saying the windows 10 fall creator update was ready to be installed so i did but it fails each and every time i try to install it.Things i tryed to solve the problem are

• Remove my kaspersky internet securtity.
    • unplug all uncessary devices.
    • check my hard drive for errors (chkdsk /f /r) did not find any errors.
    • sfc /scannow (no integrety violations detected).
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (says restore operation completed successfully).
    • i tryed with "windows update assistant" it passes the short test but fails at the end.
    • i tryed media creation tool to create a usb stick it failed but that's because i discovered the stick has a problem.

However i do see a problem every time i run "windows update troubleshooter" it finds and solves the same problem(s) but it continues to offer the same updates multiple times also i can't read the windows update log the logs says

I know there is an update for the windows update log problem Windows update log problem in 1607 Solved - Windows 10 Forums however i'm on Windows 10 Pro 1607 build 14393.1066 and since windows update is not offering me updates i don't know howto solve the problem i tryed to reset the windows update components several times always the same result it keeps offering the same updates i'm out of ideas i'm just guessing now but could the problem be caused by my wifi connection ? hmmm i feel like trying an utp cable .

:)

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017

2. After the latest update my computer starts up then shuts off

I Thank you VERY much!! The first method you provided worked, Power Troubleshooter. The message that came up, after I did the steps was "Time before display goes to sleep is too long".

Stay Healthy & Safe

ready to give up, Dec 29, 2017
  3. After the latest update my computer starts up then shuts off

When I installed the latest updates on my Dell laptop, I now have to turn on my computer twice to use it. I turn it on. It appears it will start, than it will shutoff. I turn it back on and it starts normally.

Suggestions Please!

[Original title: latest update]

ready to give up, Dec 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    Please post a screenshot of your partition layout using Minitool Partition Wizard, expanding columns as necessary to show all text - for all disks. Do not use Disk Management.
    To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

Troubleshooting:
    Try post #14 here
    1709 Fails to install and how to remove multiple recovery partitions? - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

You can try deleting the content of
    %temp%
    and
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

You could try an in-place upgrade repair which keeps all programs and data on your anniversary build, then try upgrading to 1709. If you don't still have an iso, it's possible to get one.
    E.g.
    Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607 Download (Build 14393.0)

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - but use the 1607 iso.

Then you can download the iso for build 1709 and try upgrading manually.

As ever, and we recommend this strongly to be used routinely, create or update a full disk image of Windows using e.g. Macrium reflect (free), to a external storage in case things go badly wrong and your PC becomes unbootable.

dalchina, Dec 29, 2017
  5. rscalover Win User
    hi,

Windows 10 fails to upgrade i'm about to give up. [​IMG]

Yes i've readed this somewhere while looking for information as i understand my system is several updates behind and windows update must first work correctly in order to get fall creator update.The "bad disk" in the image is that usb stick i mentioned earlier suddenly it became write protected no idea why there is no switch for this on the stick body.

thank you for the help

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017
  6. rscalover Win User
    Another thing i notice is that the services windows update uses like the bits service do not start when i set the service to automatic it seems to stop while i didn't do anything except trying to fix windows update *Sad

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    Before making any changes, ensure you have a current disk image of Windows on an external disk.

Two things occur looking at your partitions:
    1. There's no free unallocated space. You should have, say, 1.5Gb (it's up from around 450Gb formerly) free for the creation of a new Recovery partition. So you need to use a partition manager to create that space.

2. Your Boot partition is wrong.

Compare the right hand column of mine with yours:

I suggest you try booting your PC from either a Macrium Reflect bootable disk (free) or Kyhi's boot disk - available from the top of the Software and Apps section here, which also has Macrium on it.

Run Macrium's Fix boot utility and see if that helps.

Please advise try that first before anything else and again post a screenshot of your partitions when done.

Obviously there's more to do, best proceed step by step.

If you have an external disk, you can also download the two iso's if you don't already have them, one for 1607 in case an in-place upgrade repair install is needed, & one for 1709.

dalchina, Dec 29, 2017
  8. rscalover Win User

hi,

Oh no i'm scared to mess with partitions if i screw up i got nothing left i guess i'll have to give up or find somebody who knows the partition stuff better then i do so HP messed up when i bought that laptop i guess i could exspect the manufacterer to know there job apparently not *Sad i never changed anything on that partitions.

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017
  9. topgundcp Win User
    According to the error, there's a partition with GUID that was not recognized by Windows.
    Open Admin command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 0
    list partition
    exit

Also type:
    bcdedit /enum all

Post both results

topgundcp, Dec 29, 2017
  10. rscalover Win User

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Looked at the result. I did not see anything related to the GUID error in your post, looks normal to me.
    Your C drive is almost 3/4 full and normally Windows updates will try to shrink it to make room for an extra Recovery partition. If C drive is badly fragmented then it might prevent the creation. Try to defrag C drive and consolidate free space then try Windows Updates again.

topgundcp, Dec 29, 2017
  12. rscalover Win User
    Hi,

I have allot of large videos on that drive i no longer need i'll remove them to create space also "cleanmgr" could come in handy if that is the problem.

rscalover, Dec 29, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

zbook, Dec 30, 2017
  14. rscalover Win User
    I don't get any bluescreen error but i understand what you want to see there are indeed outdated drivers but i can't find the correct new ones either HP doesn't have any or the manufacterer has so much versions available i don't know which to choose also i have this strange entries in my device manager never seen this before and i'm an old man *Wink

rscalover, Dec 30, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    zbook, Dec 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 fails to upgrade i'm about to give up. - Similar Threads - fails upgrade i'm

2. I'm giving up on this issue. Let's go to the point.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm giving up on this issue. Let's go to the point.: Basically since yesterday (on Friday) this week + today I've trying to slove by myself on my own w/limited resources related to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth drivers unable to update because is locked or in other words not available. I can't access in any way possible to my own Wi-Fi...
  3. Update failed yet I'm told I'm up to date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update failed yet I'm told I'm up to date: Today's system info:Edition Windows 11 Home Version 21H2 Installed on 2021-11-04 OS build 22000.1335 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1335.0Yesterday 22-12-21, I attempted to update windows 11 home I had a feature update showing as available. It got to 64% then...
  4. Bsod situation and I’m about to give up

Bsod situation and I’m about to give up: Long story short I had a bunch of blue screen of death problems, at first I suspected ram but I ran memtest86 for like 5 hours and no issues there. Here are my specs to get it out of the way: CPU : Intel Core i5 3570k Cooler : Corsair H80i GT Motherboard : ASUS Z68V-Pro Ram...
  5. i’m about to give up, none of these options work

i’m about to give up, none of these options work: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/laurenb0509 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hy6p3e/im_about_to_give_up_none_of_these_options_work/
  6. Upgrade from Windows 7 fails at about 75%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Windows 7 fails at about 75%: Split from this thread. Trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Getting the same error. Error SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED The installation failed in SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation 0xC1900101-0x40017 When the update reaches 75%...
  7. About windows 10 upgrading.

About windows 10 upgrading.: I currently have windows 10 pro on my old PC I ordered a computer that windows 10 home on my new one. Question is since I already have 10 pro, on my other computer. If I log in into my new one using my email will it allow me to get windows 10 pro, on my new pc or I’ll just...
  8. I'm Ready to Give Up Trying to Install

I'm Ready to Give Up Trying to Install: I've been trying for 3 days now to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after using linux for a while. I've downloaded the x64 iso 4 times to try and make sure I don't have a corrupted image. I've tried burning the windows image to both Unetbootin and WoeUsb. I've tried with 2...
  9. Windows 10 fails up upgrade for the 100th time

Windows 10 fails up upgrade for the 100th time: Windows 10 fails fails fails to update. I have been through it enough. Microsoft paints to my Acer BIOS, Acer points to Microsoft. I have tried most recommended fixes (no USB, ISO, remove other anti-virus, etc). I don't need these updates continuing to freeze my computer...
  10. That's it, giving up on Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    That's it, giving up on Windows 10.: Have two identical Surface Pro tablets in front of me. One on Win8 and one on Win10. Win10 version has issues playing flash videos in Firefox. Videos are just a black screen. This happens on a fresh profile, and after a Win10 reset this pc. Have done the usual flash...