Windows 10: Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive

Discus and support Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've been struggling with this for ages, and finally took the time to read through logs and try to update manually. I have a hypothesis for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RichardChinnis, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive

Hi,

I've been struggling with this for ages, and finally took the time to read through logs and try to update manually. I have a hypothesis for what's going on that fits all of the symptoms.

I can't apply the 1803 update to my PC. It always fails and reverts back. The failure message when trying a manual update is "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

What I noticed during the update is that my C-drive (initially 167 GB free) would fill up around the 93% mark of package installation completion. The graphical windows portion of the update would then free up all of that space again and reboot. In the SAFE_OS phase, I believe it would try the copy again at around the 24% mark because my HDD light would go solid for about half an hour, then at 28% the machine would reboot and restore.

I went through the process for an entire day, like 10 hours straight, over and over trying to sort out why the disk was filling. I noticed in task manager that while the C drive was being written to at a rate of 270 MB/s, the E drive was being read from at a similar rate.

Here's my hypothesis: because windows is trying to preserve my user files (documents, pictures, videos, etc.) it's making a copy of them from wherever they are to the C drive. Well, I have all of those windows libraries pointed to my E drive because I have over a terabyte of files. There's no space for all of those user files on the C drive (477 GB capacity with 167 GB free).

When I tried to update manually, there were three options: fresh update, keep files, keep apps and files. Well, I guess I need a fourth option: keep apps. My files are on the E drive and aren't in any danger, but I don't want to install all of the software on my PC again just for an update to the OS.

So... how on earth do I tell this update to stop copying all of my personal files from E to C during the update? Or, if that's not the issue... what is going on to fill up 167 GB of free space?

Thanks,

Richard

:)

RichardChinnis, Jul 31, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 31, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive

Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive

1. Windows 10 Feature Update fails due to user files on non-system drive - Similar Threads - Feature Update fails

2. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  3. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.: I am trying to clone my partition on windows bootcamp using AOMEI Partition Assistant 9.13.1 however it keeps coming up with the error "Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system." I have already tried CHKDSK.EXE in CMD and reinstalling windows however this...
  4. Failed to initialize $MFT file due to error in file system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System restore failed due to an update residue in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore failed due to an update residue in windows 10: Hello guys , I have a problem that login user and password box isn't showing up. So, I thought that a system restore would help. But then another problem poped-up. Please help me...
  6. Windows 10 Feature update fails

Windows 10 Feature update fails: trying to upgrade from Windows 10 version 1909 OS 18363.1556 I get error 0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase.This may be a driver error. How do I find out what it is?...
  7. Feature update to Windows 10 fails

Feature update to Windows 10 fails: Split from this thread. After several attempt by my PC over the last few months to run the update service I followed these instructions ... still no luck. I kid you not, it's been trying since June - I blocked it for a while (by preventing metered download/update and...
  8. Update failed due to linked User directories

Update failed due to linked User directories: For better durability and optimized space usage of SSD's, I had linked my Windows User directory C:\Users\barco to E:\Users\barco using Windows's built-in command-line tool `mklink`. And this caused an update failure recently, collected by SetupDiag (downloaded from this...
  9. Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Non-windows drive failed, now system won't boot: So I had a storage drive fail yesterday (clicking repeatedly), and it looks like somehow my pc was using it as the boot drive, despite Windows being installed on a different drive. I've cloned the Windows partition to an ssd, along with the efi and recovery partitions, have...
  10. Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup with system image failed because user files on 2nd drive: Hi I have been trying to setup a scheduled backup (Windows 7 Backup and restore) on Windows 10. I want to include a system image of the C: drive as part of the back up and save it to the D: drive. However Windows wont let me save the image on the D: drive, I think because...