Windows 10: Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

Discus and support Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] If you are running the Insider Preview of Windows 10, there is a hidden mode in the OS that you have likely not explored. Microsoft has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

Read more: Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

See also: Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Jul 9, 2015

2. The only reference I've seen to Retail Demo is in Disk Cleanup and I just left it there when performing a Disk Cleanup in the hopes of finding it's hidden treasure another day.

Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop [​IMG]

:)

IownAmoneyPit, Jul 9, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2015
  4. Shaki#2 Win User

retaildemo offline content - do you have it installed?

With Disk clean up I can see retail demo offline content.

retail demo explained

Shaki#2, Jul 9, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, Jul 12, 2015
  6. davehc Win User
    Correct. Not such a secret. But, have you tried it from that source? I have never bothered, but wonder if, when run from there, if it still erases all the private data. Can't really fathom that, as it is just a desktop demo.

davehc, Jul 12, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    I'll leave the running of it to folk with VMs.

I'm just experimenting with the Insider upgrade path, which so far is very satisfactory in migration of apps etc. PIN sign in hasn't worked since 10130 though, and have reverted to autologon.

Fafhrd, Jul 12, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

PIN sign in still working fine for me in 10240.

sgage, Jul 16, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    PIN works fine on all clean installs. Those upgrading from build 10130 or earlier to a build 10158 or later need to use the Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Change PIN to get it working after the upgrade. Notice that nothing prevents you using your old PIN as a new PIN, if the old not working PIN is not working after the upgrade.

10. Fafhrd Win User
    Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Change PIN just gives the wonderfully informative "Something went wrong" error.
    Perhaps it is now because I enabled autologon, which I am not going to change back.

Installed 10166 clean, then U/G to 10240 (neither activated) preserved the PIN sign in OK, but there's still the username issue - the first five characters of my Microsoft account email are used as my username, which is just stupid.

The demo mode signs in with the locked down user of Owen May, and allows some things like web browsing, but try to do anything system-wise, and the RetailAdmin account needs a password. Has a flashy rolling screensaver.

Fafhrd, Jul 16, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    An easy workaround, one I always use, is to create a local account when installing with your preferred user profile name, then first boot to desktop directly switch the local account to MS account. This way you have the profile name you want to.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Build 10240 works fine (if you can actually get it activated), apart from the inevitable problems with Windows Networking -- Windows Networking has been a problem ever since Early Windows 3.11 for workgroups many years ago when Windows first started being used for Office Lans.

Seems to run slicker and apart from the Networking issues I don't have any complaints with it so far.

Note though if you logon with a LOCAL account and enable a volume as SHARED it remains SHARED (or accessible) from an Ms account even tough in this case the volume is marked as NOT SHARED !!!!. There's other Network glitches too between Ms and Local accounts --this does need to get FIXED before RTM.

(Running PRO x-64 10240 builds).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 16, 2015
  13. Fafhrd Win User

It may be a workaround, but the default - Microsoft Account login - is flawed. Why even ask for the Microsoft account in setup, not just your chosen username? Once a username is chosen, then setup should link to a MSA later to preserve settings links etc. I might want to be Dad on a family PC, Chris on a Laptop and MD on a business login, but I might want to be linked to my MSA in all of them.

Fafhrd, Jul 16, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Once I start using W10 FOR REAL then I'm not going to use an Ms account --I don't like the display of the Email address on the login screen --hideous security. Until it's possible to HIDE the email address using an Ms account doesn't get my vote.

Using a Local account solves most of the problems - but then you don't get any more insider builds.

"You pays your Money and takes your choice !!!"

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop - Similar Threads - has secret retail

2. Editing Videos in Theme Mode in Photos App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Editing Videos in Theme Mode in Photos App: Hi, If I am using a theme and I want to turn down the theme music in one of the video clips to hear the person talking in the actual video clip, how do I do this? I do not have an Adjust Volume under Volume, only Music and Narration....
  3. Windows 10 retail ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 retail ?: Hello... I'm curious to know what is listed under activation for this version ( windows 10 retail ) not OEM or upgraded to 10 but rather a fresh clean install with a windows 10 retail iso file or usb . Also, is it true those usb stick which Microsoft is selling windows 10 is...
  4. Windows 10 retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail: Going to get a copy of windows 10 retail USB. Can I get it on DVD ? I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 to do a clean install after upgrade Can I use that DVD to install a retail Copy ? 14622
  5. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop: Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install screen shows then computer reboots. No video card or optical drive hooked up Ethernet plugged in Any and all suggestions...
  6. MS Starts Work on Project Europe, New Secret Windows 10 App Effort

in Windows 10 News
    MS Starts Work on Project Europe, New Secret Windows 10 App Effort: Microsoft Starts Work on Project Europe, New Secret Windows 10 App Effort Redmond teases new project that it could unveil soon [img] Microsoft has several ongoing projects behind closed doors, and the company is still looking into ways to bring its ideas to...
  7. Leaked Spartan browser demoed in new video, shows off Cortana

in Windows 10 News
    Leaked Spartan browser demoed in new video, shows off Cortana: Microsoft's next web browser, and successor to Internet Explorer, is Project Spartan. The modern browser has been demoed in a video published by WinBeta. They were able to take the leaked app for a spin to see how some of the features worked, including Cortana integration....
  8. Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10: How about how do I remove "Retail Demo Service"? Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials WARNING: Enabling this mode will erase all the personal files on your PC and reset it to factory default settings. 85522
  9. New demo: Windows Analytics Update Compliance

in Windows 10 News
    New demo: Windows Analytics Update Compliance: Find out how to use Update Compliance to monitor Windows Updates, Windows Defender Antivirus and troubleshoot update failures in your environment. This new demo from Microsoft Mechanics walks you through common usage scenarios for Windows Analytics Update Compliance, a...
  10. windows 10 retail.

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 retail.: Does anybody know if the retail version of windows 10, will include the anniversary update. Henry 54434