Windows 10: Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

Discus and support Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] If you are running the Insider Preview of Windows 10, there is a hidden mode in the OS that you have likely not explored. Microsoft has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

Read more: Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop

See also: Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Jul 9, 2015

2. The only reference I've seen to Retail Demo is in Disk Cleanup and I just left it there when performing a Disk Cleanup in the hopes of finding it's hidden treasure another day.

Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop [​IMG]

:)

IownAmoneyPit, Jul 9, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2015
  4. Shaki#2 Win User

retaildemo offline content - do you have it installed?

With Disk clean up I can see retail demo offline content.

retail demo explained

Shaki#2, Jul 9, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, Jul 12, 2015
  6. davehc Win User
    Correct. Not such a secret. But, have you tried it from that source? I have never bothered, but wonder if, when run from there, if it still erases all the private data. Can't really fathom that, as it is just a desktop demo.

davehc, Jul 12, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    I'll leave the running of it to folk with VMs.

I'm just experimenting with the Insider upgrade path, which so far is very satisfactory in migration of apps etc. PIN sign in hasn't worked since 10130 though, and have reverted to autologon.

Fafhrd, Jul 12, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

PIN sign in still working fine for me in 10240.

sgage, Jul 16, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    PIN works fine on all clean installs. Those upgrading from build 10130 or earlier to a build 10158 or later need to use the Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Change PIN to get it working after the upgrade. Notice that nothing prevents you using your old PIN as a new PIN, if the old not working PIN is not working after the upgrade.

10. Fafhrd Win User
    Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > Change PIN just gives the wonderfully informative "Something went wrong" error.
    Perhaps it is now because I enabled autologon, which I am not going to change back.

Installed 10166 clean, then U/G to 10240 (neither activated) preserved the PIN sign in OK, but there's still the username issue - the first five characters of my Microsoft account email are used as my username, which is just stupid.

The demo mode signs in with the locked down user of Owen May, and allows some things like web browsing, but try to do anything system-wise, and the RetailAdmin account needs a password. Has a flashy rolling screensaver.

Fafhrd, Jul 16, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    An easy workaround, one I always use, is to create a local account when installing with your preferred user profile name, then first boot to desktop directly switch the local account to MS account. This way you have the profile name you want to.

12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Build 10240 works fine (if you can actually get it activated), apart from the inevitable problems with Windows Networking -- Windows Networking has been a problem ever since Early Windows 3.11 for workgroups many years ago when Windows first started being used for Office Lans.

Seems to run slicker and apart from the Networking issues I don't have any complaints with it so far.

Note though if you logon with a LOCAL account and enable a volume as SHARED it remains SHARED (or accessible) from an Ms account even tough in this case the volume is marked as NOT SHARED !!!!. There's other Network glitches too between Ms and Local accounts --this does need to get FIXED before RTM.

(Running PRO x-64 10240 builds).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 16, 2015
  13. Fafhrd Win User

It may be a workaround, but the default - Microsoft Account login - is flawed. Why even ask for the Microsoft account in setup, not just your chosen username? Once a username is chosen, then setup should link to a MSA later to preserve settings links etc. I might want to be Dad on a family PC, Chris on a Laptop and MD on a business login, but I might want to be linked to my MSA in all of them.

Fafhrd, Jul 16, 2015
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Once I start using W10 FOR REAL then I'm not going to use an Ms account --I don't like the display of the Email address on the login screen --hideous security. Until it's possible to HIDE the email address using an Ms account doesn't get my vote.

Using a Local account solves most of the problems - but then you don't get any more insider builds.

"You pays your Money and takes your choice !!!"

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 has a secret retail demo mode with a new app and video loop - Similar Threads - has secret retail

2. Retail Demo User Account UAP - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Retail Demo User Account UAP - Windows 11: I just purchased a Windows 11 demo laptop from Costco now cannot bypass the retail version to remove Daren Deyoung as administrator. What is the default UAP password. I have tried both tsr10 and trs80 and neither work. How can I log in as an administrator and change the user...
  3. Retail Demo User Account UAP - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Retail Demo User Account UAP - Windows 11: I just purchased a Windows 11 demo laptop from Costco now cannot bypass the retail version to remove Daren Deyoung as administrator. What is the default UAP password. I have tried both tsr10 and trs80 and neither work. How can I log in as an administrator and change the user...
  4. Retail Demo Experience from Windows 10 ISO File Not Working

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Retail Demo Experience from Windows 10 ISO File Not Working: I'm trying to launch RDX from a Windows 10 ISO downloaded from here but, after switching to demo mode, I don't see any demo content. Not sure if this is an issue with the ISO file?Like I said, I switched Windows to demo mode by following the typical steps:Update &...
  5. 5 minutes self introduction and demo video on camera app windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    5 minutes self introduction and demo video on camera app windows 10: Hello, HELP!!! I have to make a self introduction and demo video of about 5 minutes, so that I can uploaded it on to the website. When I completed the speech on the camera app, I clicked on "share" then on "mail" and the outlook mail box appeared. However, it indicates...
  6. How to unistall microsoft retail demo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to unistall microsoft retail demo: Hi - I just bought a new laptop. Upon setting it up I accidentally accepted that the retail demo run in my computer for 21 days. Now I'd like to remove it from the computer. I've tried through Settings / Apps & Features / Microsoft Retail Demo, but the Uninstall button is...
  7. Has the 'Retail Demo' Service been removed from 1909?

in Windows 10 Support
    Has the 'Retail Demo' Service been removed from 1909?: Same as the subject in question. Does anybody know or have a home user Windows 10 Pro, that doesnt have the 'Retail Demo Service' service in Computer management? 145489
  8. What is the secret to importing videos into the Windows 10 Photos app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is the secret to importing videos into the Windows 10 Photos app?: I have MP4 videos that I created using the camera on my cellphone stored in my videos folder on drive C. When I pressed the Import icon on the Microsoft Photos app and selected the folder where my videos are stored, it did not allow me to import any files. I am stumped? What...
  9. Microsoft Retail Demo Provisioning

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Retail Demo Provisioning: For a few months now I have been setting up retail demos on display laptops for my company using our RAC, with the appropriate SKU and store ID. Up until a couple of months ago, it was loading the demo experience with our RDX without any problems. Now however, every laptop...
  10. Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Retail Demo Experience Mode in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 includes a retail demo experience mode meant for retail use. It allows PCs on display at retail stores to go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. retail demo mode is my laptop new?