Windows 10: Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account

Discus and support Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello - I just restarted my computer to fix my USB sound problem. And then when I tried to logon to Windows 10 on my desktop, I saw the picture I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by johnsl_834, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account

Hello - I just restarted my computer to fix my USB sound problem. And then when I tried to logon to Windows 10 on my desktop, I saw the picture I use for my Microsoft Account, put in my desktop password thinking nothing of it. Then when Windows 10 loaded, most of my desktop shortcuts were gone, my personal settings were gone, my wall paper - gone. I am unable to get back into my local account. I tried System Restore, and that doesn't seem to work either. How can I fix this problem?

:)

johnsl_834, Sep 17, 2019
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account :(

Zakin, Sep 17, 2019
  3. Mindweaver, Sep 17, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Thema:

Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account

1. Windows 10 has confused my local account with my Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - has confused local

2. Windows has added a child Microsoft account to my local account login and given it...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows has added a child Microsoft account to my local account login and given it...: I have logged into Microsoft and managed to remove the child account from the family group. This has not worked.When I log in I have my child's Hotmail address attached to my local login where I had no email or attachment to any Microsoft account.I have removed the child...
  3. Windows has added a child Microsoft account to my local account login and given it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows has added a child Microsoft account to my local account login and given it...: I have logged into Microsoft and managed to remove the child account from the family group. This has not worked.When I log in I have my child's Hotmail address attached to my local login where I had no email or attachment to any Microsoft account.I have removed the child...
  4. Windows has added a child Microsoft account to my local account login and given it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confusion on Local Account vs Microsoft Account: I have some serious confusion over what is a local account vs a Windows account while working on my wife's computer. I know my Hotmail account and Windows account share the same password and as far as we can determine, hers should too. However, that doesn't seem to be true...
  6. Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10

Change Microsoft Account linked to my local account - Windows 10: Issue:I have a microsoft account linked to my local account on my windows 10 computer. I don't remember the password. I've tried resetting it where MS reviews information I've submitted to verify it's me. They say they can't verify my ID so I want to link my local ID with a...
  7. microsoft account confusion

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    microsoft account confusion: when i got my pc my brothers friend sighed they're microsoft account on it and i didnt know that is they're a way to not lose my data on my computer i'm confused someone please help...
  8. Windows 10 is confused about my microsoft account.

Windows 10 is confused about my microsoft account.: When Windows 10 says I need to fix a problem with my Microsoft account it correctly displays my account email address, I enter the password and all is well until I try to do something which requires I sign in to my microsoft account. Then, it displays an Outlook email address...
  9. Windows 10 local account switched to microsoft account and to my sons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 local account switched to microsoft account and to my sons: Not sure how this happened, but my windows 10 pc with a local account only is now showing as a micorsoft account I did not do this. Not only that but it is linked to my sons hotmail account. Even my Microsoft office account is now under his hotmail account. Under settings,...
  10. Microsoft Account Confusion

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account Confusion: When I first setup my PC I used my MS account to login. The account name was an email address from cox.net. However shortly thereafter I changed to a local account. A few months ago I changed the account name to a Gmail address in anticipation of changing my internet provider...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 local account has microsoft account problem

2. i have confused my microsoft accounts