Windows 10: Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display

Discus and support Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Ok boys, I am so ridiculously aggravated with Windows right now. I recently re-installed Windows and apparently the computer was possessed during the... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Marasmic, May 23, 2020.

1. Marasmic Win User

Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display

Ok boys,

I am so ridiculously aggravated with Windows right now. I recently re-installed Windows and apparently the computer was possessed during the reinstall. I'm finally on the last of the issues that I've had to fix.

Windows absolutely refuses to just turn off my display and then turn it back on when I move the mouse. It started out requiring me to hit the sign in button despite the fact that I have that option unchecked in the screen saver menu and the fact that I don't even have a password. I found a trick online that showed you how to use the registry editor to add a console timeout option to the power plan settings. I set it to a number of different values and it still logged me out to the lock screen at idle.

I removed the registry key i made and reset it to default. Next, I found a YouTube comment that said to add a password to the account and then a new option to require sign in after inactivity would pop up. I followed the instructions and set it to never require sign in after inactivity. But... while it doesn't require a sign in now, it still makes me swipe up and displays a slide show instead of just turning the monitor off.

I literally just want this computer to shut the display off after 10 minutes and then instantly turn the monitor back on after I move the mouse. I don't want it to see a lock screen. I just want it to shut my monitor off when I'm not touching the mouse and turn my monitor on when I am touching it.

Any suggestions you guys can offer would be great, thanks.

:)

Marasmic, May 23, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

It won't send you to the lock screen when the timeout has been reached.

Console lock display off timeout is the amount of minutes Windows will wait idle with no activity while on the lock screen when a user locks the computer before timing out and automatically turning off the display.

You might see if these below may be turning off the display instead.

Brink, May 23, 2020
  3. Ads displayed in Lock Screen

Hi Subhadeep,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen.
    To turn off Windows Spotlight, go to Settings, clickPersonalization,
    select Lock screen, under Background select a different lock screen background.

To avoid messages on your lock screen, you can consider the following:

• Make sure that the "Get fun facts, etc" on your Settings is turned off.
    • Disable “suggestions” that appear as notifications. To do so, follow these steps go to
      Settings, then select System, then click
      Notifications & actions
      and turnoff “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what’s new and
      suggested”.
    • Disable “tips, tricks, and suggestions”. Head to Settings then select
      System, then click Notifications & Actions and disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, May 23, 2020
  4. Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display

Windows 10 Lock Screen Doesn't Show Up

Hi all,

I just upgraded my computer to Windows 10 from Windows 8. With Windows 8, my laptop would display a lock screen everytime I turn the computer on, whether it was from sleep or from being shut down. However, immediately after upgrading, my laptop began to skip the lock screen step. Is there a way to turn it back on?

Thanks

cedricporter, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display

1. Windows 10 locking screen instead of shutting off display - Similar Threads - locking screen instead

2. Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.: Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 not activated for now and when I try to shut the system down it just takes me to the lock screen. I have tried different methods that exist to shut down the system through GUI but every method just takes me to the lock screen...
  3. Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.: Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 not activated for now and when I try to shut the system down it just takes me to the lock screen. I have tried different methods that exist to shut down the system through GUI but every method just takes me to the lock screen...
  4. screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down: My laptop using Windows 10 has suddenly encountered two problems: The screen will display "lock screen" for 1 or 2 seconds and shut down. This is seemingly random, as it doesn't appear associated with any particular website. The timing is also random, sometimes occurring...
  5. Numbers are not display on Windows 10 lock screen instead of boxes are display on lock screen.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Numbers are not display on Windows 10 lock screen instead of boxes are display on lock screen.: Please help to reslove this issue i want numbers on the lock screen.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numbers-are-not-display-on-windows-10-lock-screen/331bea05-5266-4aec-b605-73af61042f7e
  6. At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    At lock screen, displays shut off after 20 seconds, comes back on: If I lock my computer, after 20 seconds or so, the displays turn off, then come back 2 seconds later. The timing is consistent. I also notice that it resets my lockscreen image slideshow to the original image everytime it cycles. It does this on both my monitors (i.e. an HDTV...
  7. Display screen will not shut off at designated time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display screen will not shut off at designated time: It doesn't matter what time I change it to, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes, the display monitor won't turn off. I'm guessing it is one of the recent Windows 10 updates since this is a recent problem. Any help will be appreciated, It's getting old turning off...
  8. SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?

in Windows 10 Customization
    SHUTTING OFF FULL SCREEN DISPLAY?: HOW DO I ESCAPE THE FULL SCREEN MODE? ESC DOESN'T WORK BY ITSELF.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutting-off-full-screen-display/db860f0b-4b7c-4cf0-a697-0a158defe7af
  9. Windows 1903 now shuts off display and locks pc, instead of just going to lockscreen with...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 1903 now shuts off display and locks pc, instead of just going to lockscreen with...: I recently updated to Windows 1903 so I could participate in the AOE:DE multiplayer beta, and ever since my pc no longer just goes to the lockscreen after 20 mins with the slideshow playing, it also powers off the display too. Before I updated I had it so my pc went to...
  10. Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10: How to: Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10 How to Change "Console lock display off timeout" in Windows 10 Console lock display off timeout is the amount of minutes Windows will wait idle with no activity while on the lock screen when a user locks the...