Windows 10: Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program

Discus and support Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and have had a problem with Windows 10 for a week or so now. Usually, when I hovered over a taskbar symbol and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 22ms, May 8, 2020.

1. 22ms Win User

Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and have had a problem with Windows 10 for a week or so now. Usually, when I hovered over a taskbar symbol and the program had multiple instances opened, I got a preview of all of these instances next to each other. Somehow, this feature stopped working and I now only see the names of the instances as you can see in the screenshot.

Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program [​IMG]

I hope you can help me!
    Windows 10 Version Number: 1909 Build 18363.851

Kind Regards
    Leander

:)

22ms, May 8, 2020
  2. Teemosan Win User

How do I change Taskbar icon preview from Thumbnail peek to List peek in Win 10 v 1703?

Thanks Gil deG

That's a 90% fix.

I followed the instructions and used the option to:

"type 0 (zero) it will effectively disable taskbar thumbnail previews,
    and only show in list mode."

This works, but only if there is more than one instance of an item open. So if I have only one Explorer window open the peek preview will still be thumbnail. As soon as I open a second or more Explorer
    window the preview peek switches to List. Same behavior for single to multiple instances of any other program in the taskbar - It's Thumbnail for one instance, List for multiple.

So when setting the Decimal value is set to 0, it acts like Threshold value 1.

I'm using Win 10 Pro. I'm wondering if there is an equivalent way to do this using Group Policy Editor, or is it just thorugh regedit?

Thanks

Teemosan, May 8, 2020
  3. dacrone Win User
    Multiple IE - One Taskbar Instance

The following screenshot is from a Win 7 machine. I had multiple tabs open in ie11 and had one crash. When it restarted itself, the taskbar only has one instance of the ie11 showing, but all tabs are still intact. Is there a way to do this in Win 10 on purpose? It would make it much easier/faster to minimize/maximize all tabs when working with multiple tabs are multiple programs...

Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program [​IMG]

dacrone, May 8, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program

How to OPEN Programs in Taskbar Preview WITHOUT Clicking ??

@Triliuner I'm sorry to hear it's not as simple as that.

When you have multiple windows opened from a single application e.g. 2 separate windows from Chrome, do they show up as previews when you hover over Chrome's icon in the taskbar, or as a list? Just asking to clarify that, they are at least showing as previews. If not, this should help: Change Taskbar Thumbnail Threshold to Show List in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

As for the different windows not showing when you hover your mouse over a preview, maybe it has something to do with the delay, see here: Change Delay Time to Show Taskbar Thumbnails in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials (restoring the default value)

I hope that helps, if not, maybe others can suggest some other things to try..

TheDeerDude, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program

1. Windows 10 Taskbar preview of multiple instances of a program - Similar Threads - Taskbar preview multiple

2. Multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ? 182603
  3. Multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ? 182603
  4. multiple instances of a chat program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ?...
  5. Windows 10 taskbar hover preview not working if there are multiple occurances of a program

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 taskbar hover preview not working if there are multiple occurances of a program: I am having an issue with Windows where if I have multiple occurrences of a program ie internet browser, file explorer, etc the taskbar will not show a preview when I hover over the icon in the task bar. Currently my task bar is set to only show taskbar buttons Always hide...
  6. Windows 10 taskbar hover preview now working if there are multiple occurances of a program

Windows 10 taskbar hover preview now working if there are multiple occurances of a program: I am having an issue with Windows where if I have multiple occurrences of a program ie internet browser, file explorer, etc the taskbar will not show a preview when I hover over the icon in the task bar. Currently my task bar is set to only show taskbar buttons Always hide...
  7. Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?: I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a...
  8. Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs

Windows 10 Launching Multiple Instances of Programs: There must be a setting I need to adjust - sometimes when my mouse gets near the bottom of the screen where the Taskbar is (not sure that's the name of it) multiple instances of the same program will launch. It's very distracting while trying to work. I'm on a laptop -...
  9. Windows 10: Multiple instances of an application & taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Multiple instances of an application & taskbar buttons: Hi everyone! I have two instances of VMWare open with each running a different VM. VMWare 1 is almost never touched as it holds our PostgreSQL instance whose DB we access from inside VMWare 2. I don't combine my taskbar buttons and I'd like to move VMWare 1's taskbar...
  10. Multiple IE - One Taskbar Instance

in Browsers and Email
    Multiple IE - One Taskbar Instance: The following screenshot is from a Win 7 machine. I had multiple tabs open in ie11 and had one crash. When it restarted itself, the taskbar only has one instance of the ie11 showing, but all tabs are still intact. Is there a way to do this in Win 10 on purpose? It would make...