Windows 10: Windows broken after Surface Book update

Discus and support Windows broken after Surface Book update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’m having a problem with my 1st gen Surface Book running windows 10, where I get a black screen with only a (moveable) cursor on screen for about 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Heyitsroth, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Windows broken after Surface Book update

I’m having a problem with my 1st gen Surface Book running windows 10, where I get a black screen with only a (moveable) cursor on screen for about 10 minutes, before the login screen is displayed and windows starts up.

This happened before, and I eventually just gave in and reinstalled windows, which fixed the problem for a couple of months until it’s now happened again. Both times it has begun after restarting to install a ‘firmware update’ through Windows update.

To clarify, this is what happens when I power on:
    * Surface logo appears as usual
    * Logo disappears to black screen, moving the mouse shows the cursor
    * Cursor has the ‘doing something circle’ briefly, then becomes just a cursor
    * Stays like this for 5-15 mins, if it stays like this for too long the computer will seem to go into standby, (screen off, mouse won’t wake it)
    * If this happens, pressing the power button once (which would normally wake it) does nothing, and needs to be held for almost as long as it would take to hard power off, until the screen turns on again
    * Once the welcome screen shows, if I’ve had to wake the computer using the power button, the power off slide down banner will sort of glitchily show, almost like it has been buffering all the power button presses

Once in windows, I have the following symptoms:
    * No WiFi because the WLAN autoconfig service hasn’t started, despite showing as automatic. Once started manually, WiFi works fine
    * After a little while, a series of about 10 command windows pop up and disappear in quick succession
    * Multiple entries in device manager have problems (code 31 and not enough quota). These are: windows hello, hid sensor collection v2, and surface: pen pairing, keyboard backlight, DTX, dial detection, base firmware update,
    * After a while of being open, task manager will change its update speed to ‘paused’

These are just the ones I’ve noticed, but they’re pretty specific, and are exactly the same both times this happened (on two separate fresh installs)

I didn’t check it the first time this happened, but this time I looked at windows update, and the ‘firmware update’ that I originally restarted to install still wasn’t installed, and trying to restart and install from the update settings pane gave me error 0x80070032. So I followed this guide (Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials) and restarted manually. On restart, the firmware update was applied before windows started, and the update settings shows no new updates

I know I could reinstall windows again and it would work properly, but I would prefer to not have to do that every few months or so

:)

Heyitsroth, Mar 18, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Updates for Surface Book - Feb. 23, 2018

Source: Updates for Surface Book (23 February 2018) Surface

See also: Surface Book update history

Brink, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Windows broken after Surface Book update

Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 - April 5th 2017

Source: Updates for Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (05 April 2017) Surface

See also:

Brink, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows broken after Surface Book update

1. Windows broken after Surface Book update - Similar Threads - broken Surface Book

2. Volume Indicator broken windows 11 Surface Book 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume Indicator broken windows 11 Surface Book 3: Hi,When I change the volume on my Surface Book 3, either using the F row function buttons or rocker on the tablet itself, the indicator for the current volume is broken. I already reinstalled Windows 11 from a USB boot medium while troubleshooting another problem. This is...
  3. Volume Indicator broken windows 11 Surface Book 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume Indicator broken windows 11 Surface Book 3: Hi,When I change the volume on my Surface Book 3, either using the F row function buttons or rocker on the tablet itself, the indicator for the current volume is broken. I already reinstalled Windows 11 from a USB boot medium while troubleshooting another problem. This is...
  4. Broken Surface Pro 6 after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Broken Surface Pro 6 after update: What are my options when the most recent update breaks the device? I have used my device a total of 7hrs this year Feb and it hasnt been touched since December 2020. I ignored the update notification on Saturday and decided to install and restart on the sunday morning when it...
  5. Surface book 3 - camera not working after updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface book 3 - camera not working after updates: Hi! After I've installed Avast Driver Updater and restarted the computer my camera stopped working. At first, Windows Hello didn't work. I tried to open the Camera App but there was only the text that the device cannot be found. I've checked also if the camera works in other...
  6. Surface Book 2 overheating after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 overheating after update: I was forced to update my Windows 10 back on 10th June 2020 and after updating I have noticed a huge issue with heat. I have noticed my Surface Book 2 overheating with fans running so loud especially when gaming or when idle. This issue never happened before the update and...
  7. Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons "broken" after alt-tabbing a game on Surface Book: I have stumbled on a quite peculiar problem. I have a 1st generation Surface Book with a fully updated Windows 10. I installed a game from Steam Dark Souls II, then alt+tabbed it, and after that desktop icons become "broken". All desktop icons were grouped at the same...
  8. Surface book 2 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface book 2 update: Just bought the surface book 2 from best buy it had an update from microsft, so i installed it. After i installed it, it made me enter my bit locker key and now it wont let me restore it?...
  9. BitLocker Issue after Updates Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker Issue after Updates Surface Book 2: A few months back I purchased the new Surface Book 2 for a bit over 3,000 EUR. I had high hopes that as Microsoft knows this hardware inside out (just like Apple does with their MacBooks) I would not anymore have to go through the usual driver issues and what not but instead...
  10. An update on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book

in Windows 10 News
    An update on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book: Building devices people love is what drives our team. It’s why we come in to work every morning and it’s what keeps us up at night. And feedback from our customers is really important to the team and to me personally. I read the blogs, I read the comments, I read social...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2019 windows 10 update freeszes surface pro login screen