Windows 10: Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

Discus and support Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wpcoe, Jun 24, 2019.

1. wpcoe Win User

Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge) was (a) turn on Clipboard History, (b) turn off the background image on the Windows Log-on screen, and (c) use Windows Sandbox. I reverted (a) & (b) to previous settings, and I don't see how (c) would interfere, much less now how to undo anything the Sandbox might have done.

Next, I went to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ge-not-working:Repair or reset Microsoft Edge
    Repairing the browser won't affect anything, but resetting will remove your history, cookies, and any settings you might have changed. To find these options, select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Edge > Advanced options.
    I did both a repair and a reset.

Next, I did Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

Then, I did Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Is my only remaining option to do a Windows Repair from installation media? I have an .ISO file for Windows 10 v.1903 that I used to fresh install Windows. If I use that to do a Windows Repair, will it wipe out all the Windows Updates that have been done and/or will it reset any/all Windows tweaks I have made?

:)

wpcoe, Jun 24, 2019

2. edge browser won't open

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide more information before we proceed

• Do you facing this issue only with few sites or with all websites?
    • Are you getting any error message when try to open?
    • Are you able to use other browsers on your system?
    • Is the Microsoft Edge Windows opens?

Step 1:

If Microsoft Edge browser opens, I would suggest you try clearing cache and cookies.

Follow the steps below:

• Click on the More actions (…) icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.

• Select Settings and click on
      Choose what to clear

• Check the boxes Browsing history,
      Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and
      files and click on Clear.
    Step 2: If the browser didn’t opens try running
    System File Checker.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Please do get back to us with the answers to assist you better with issue you are facing.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Microsoft edge browser

I have windows 10 on a laptop, there are 2 separate user accounts on the laptop and the edge browser stopped working or disappeared from one of the user accounts, but Im still able to access and use it in the other user account. since it disappeared from
    one user account there have been many updates to the windows 10 program but the edge browser still won t appear or able to be accessed in one of the user accounts??? any genuine suggestions that are guaranteed to work????

Malcolm - Withers, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

Edge browser is not working!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try restarting Microsoft Edge Browser and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Open task manager right click on Microsoft Edge and go to details click on microsoftedgeCP.exe and click end task

• Restart your Computer and check if it helps.

• Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

1. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open - Similar Threads - Edge browser won't

2. Microsoft Edge won't stay open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge won't stay open: So yesterday, my laptop was working fine, so I shut it off.But this morning, Microsoft Edge didn't stay open when I clicked on the icon. It opened for a second and then pressed the "x" itself.However, I can use the start menu to access it. Now, when I exit and press the icon...
  3. Microsoft Edge won't stay open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge won't stay open: So yesterday, my laptop was working fine, so I shut it off.But this morning, Microsoft Edge didn't stay open when I clicked on the icon. It opened for a second and then pressed the "x" itself.However, I can use the start menu to access it. Now, when I exit and press the icon...
  4. Microsoft Edge won't stay open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Any other browser than Microsoft edge won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any other browser than Microsoft edge won't open: On my computer whenever I open a browser the browser closes itself other than Microsoft edge it will just close then reopen a few times before it starts working properly is there any way to fix this so I can access another browser other than Microsoft edge because whenever I...
  6. Any other browser than Microsoft edge won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any other browser than Microsoft edge won't open: On my computer whenever I open a browser the browser closes itself other than Microsoft edge it will just close then reopen a few times before it starts working properly is there any way to fix this so I can access another browser other than Microsoft edge because whenever I...
  7. Browsers won't open.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Browsers won't open.: I have been having this problem for quite a while. A while ago I was using a surface pro that I still have and I wanted to use a browser other than chrome. I decided to use Opera. I downloaded Opera and used it for a while but one time when I tried to open it, it did its boot...
  8. "Settings" window won't stay open

in Windows 10 Support
    "Settings" window won't stay open: The "Settings" window will only stay open for a few seconds - then closes before I can access anything. Help? 161542
  9. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open: This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge)...
  10. EDGE won't stay put..

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE won't stay put..: A new anomaly with Edge. I use a 24 inch monitor and most time have two browsers open. I drag the edges of both so that I have them side by side (as in pic 1). I close them and then open them again later and Edge is in a different place (as in pic 2). Firefox always remembers...