Windows 10: Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

Discus and support Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by wpcoe, Jun 24, 2019.

1. wpcoe Win User

Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge) was (a) turn on Clipboard History, (b) turn off the background image on the Windows Log-on screen, and (c) use Windows Sandbox. I reverted (a) & (b) to previous settings, and I don't see how (c) would interfere, much less now how to undo anything the Sandbox might have done.

Next, I went to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ge-not-working:Repair or reset Microsoft Edge
    Repairing the browser won't affect anything, but resetting will remove your history, cookies, and any settings you might have changed. To find these options, select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Edge > Advanced options.
    I did both a repair and a reset.

Next, I did Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10

Then, I did Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Is my only remaining option to do a Windows Repair from installation media? I have an .ISO file for Windows 10 v.1903 that I used to fresh install Windows. If I use that to do a Windows Repair, will it wipe out all the Windows Updates that have been done and/or will it reset any/all Windows tweaks I have made?

:)

wpcoe, Jun 24, 2019

2. edge browser won't open

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please provide more information before we proceed

• Do you facing this issue only with few sites or with all websites?
    • Are you getting any error message when try to open?
    • Are you able to use other browsers on your system?
    • Is the Microsoft Edge Windows opens?

Step 1:

If Microsoft Edge browser opens, I would suggest you try clearing cache and cookies.

Follow the steps below:

• Click on the More actions (…) icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.

• Select Settings and click on
      Choose what to clear

• Check the boxes Browsing history,
      Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and
      files and click on Clear.
    Step 2: If the browser didn’t opens try running
    System File Checker.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Please do get back to us with the answers to assist you better with issue you are facing.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Microsoft edge browser

I have windows 10 on a laptop, there are 2 separate user accounts on the laptop and the edge browser stopped working or disappeared from one of the user accounts, but Im still able to access and use it in the other user account. since it disappeared from
    one user account there have been many updates to the windows 10 program but the edge browser still won t appear or able to be accessed in one of the user accounts??? any genuine suggestions that are guaranteed to work????

Malcolm - Withers, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

Edge browser is not working!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to try restarting Microsoft Edge Browser and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Open task manager right click on Microsoft Edge and go to details click on microsoftedgeCP.exe and click end task

• Restart your Computer and check if it helps.

• Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

1. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open - Similar Threads - Edge browser won't

2. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open: This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge)...
  3. edge browser always open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    edge browser always open: When I scan my system with the firewall I receive the message that my edge browser is open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-browser-always-open/50cde4ff-56e8-4eeb-97fd-fb9518c2f000"
  4. edge browser always open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    edge browser always open: When I scan computer with my firewall that the edge browser is open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-browser-always-open/083c9731-22ea-45bc-b136-050b9261fbdd
  5. edge browser always open

in Windows 10 Customization
    edge browser always open: when I scan with my firewall I receive message edge browse open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/edge-browser-always-open/f6beb25b-7d07-4fb4-9168-4c09402473f8
  6. Edge won't open.

in Browsers and Email
    Edge won't open.: When I first got Win 10, the Edge browser worked great but after a time it simply quit working. The opening screen with the icon comes up but then it goes back to my desktop. It isn't a critical problem yet because I can still use Explorer but Edge had some features I liked...
  7. Browser video won't stay full screen

in Browsers and Email
    Browser video won't stay full screen: Hey everyone, When I'm watching a video full screen within my browser (Firefox) it will randomly leave the full screen view and go back to the standard view. It doesn't always happen, but I'd guess it occurs about a third of the time. It seems to happen mostly when I'm...
  8. Microsoft Edge wont stay open

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge wont stay open: When I click the icon in task bar, EDGE search window will only stay open for about 5 seconds. Why? 10245
  9. cant open edge browser

in Browsers and Email
    cant open edge browser: hi all;i cannot open the edge browser.The blue page only comes on for a few seconds then goes off.I have tried deleting my other browsers so edge is the only one but it still does the same thing.Would living in the uk have any bearing on this?Your help is needed. thank you...
  10. EDGE won't stay put..

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE won't stay put..: A new anomaly with Edge. I use a 24 inch monitor and most time have two browsers open. I drag the edges of both so that I have them side by side (as in pic 1). I close them and then open them again later and Edge is in a different place (as in pic 2). Firefox always remembers...