Windows 10: Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive

Discus and support Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; My wife's hard drive was small, so I got her a 1tb one. I cloned the new drive and everything seems to work except edge. I took a screen shot in... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by johnk51, Jan 6, 2018.

1. johnk51 Win User

Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive

My wife's hard drive was small, so I got her a 1tb one. I cloned the new drive and everything seems to work except edge. I took a screen shot in taskmanager and it showed 11 events under Microsoft Edge. I don't know what happened, but should I try to reinstall Edge again. My windows 10 pro 64 is up to date.

John Kramer

:)

johnk51, Jan 6, 2018
  2. lokdok Win User

I'm putting in a new hard drive, how can I get the new hard drive to boot to Windows10?

Thank you all, that was a lot more painless than it had been in the past.

lokdok, Jan 6, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    I'm putting in a new hard drive, how can I get the new hard drive to boot to Windows10?

Hi LokDok,

Click this link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-downlo...

to download the Media Creation Tool (Click on Download Tool Now), with that you can download the latest Windows 10 ISO (Select Create Installation Media for Another PC), you can create a bootable USB flash drive (min 4GB) using that tool or create the ISO file
    which you can later burn to DVD

Then, Boot your PC from the Installation Media you just created (change Boot Order in your BIOS) to install Windows 10 on your new hard drive.

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS, go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Insert the Bootable Media

2. Disable Secure Boot

3. Enable Legacy Boot

4. If Available enable CSM

5. If Required enable USB Boot

6. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

7. Save BIOS changes and restart your System

NOTE: during the installation process, your system will reboot, at that point, you may need to go into your BIOS and change the boot order so your system boots from your Hard Drive, otherwise the installation may start all over again - do not remove the installation
    media at this point

Since you previously had Windows 10 installed and activated on that PC during the installation process skip the steps which ask for a product key and select the option 'I am Reinstalling Windows 10 on this PC', and activation will not be an issue, your PC will
    have a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft Activation Servers

DaveM121, Jan 6, 2018
  4. Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive

Looks like Edge is just caching is browsing information. You get the same problem after closing Edge and restarting?

Masterchiefxx17, Jan 6, 2018
  5. johnk51 Win User
    Yes, it looks like I need to reinstall or repair edge. My wife is getting frustrated. And the old hd seems to not be working now.

I just got through doing a reinstall and edge is still doing the same thing. What do I need to do to get it working right again.

johnk51, Jan 6, 2018
  6. johnk51 Win User
    Any ideas yet? I did the removing the Microsoft.microsoftEdge folder in my user/app, then remaking it. Still it is doing the same thing. Anything else I can try?

johnk51, Jan 9, 2018
  7. torre Win User
    torre, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive

How many tabs do you normally have open when this happens?

Masterchiefxx17, Jan 10, 2018
  9. johnk51 Win User
    I usually have 2 tabs open on my computer, and in the task manager under processes at the top it say Apps(then how many program running). And my Edge just shows it, no chevron. But my wife's shows many showing I.E. 11 under Edge. That's the screenshot up above. It shows like facebook, background tab pool, browser_broker... I don't know how to get it back to the way is was.

johnk51, Jan 10, 2018
  10. Are you using any extensions in Edge? How did the reset go?

Masterchiefxx17, Jan 11, 2018
  11. johnk51 Win User
    She doesn't use any extensions in Edge. The reset didn't work. When she opens Edge it doesn't open with the blue screen with the E. It also has under apps edge then processes under that (this last time 8). it also show under gpu engine GPU 0=3D. I don't know why that's there. On my computer, it only shows edge only and no sub programs underneath. My wife's task manager screen shot is at the top of this post. I've tried all the things that I've found on the web. Nothing works. I'm probably going to have to call MS.

johnk51, Jan 11, 2018
  12. If you’re having problems with Microsoft Edge, you might be able to fix all the issues by reinstalling the browser.

Please note that you might lose all favorites as well as your browsing history. It’s a good idea to backup or export Microsoft Edge browser favorites before reinstalling Microsoft Edge.

Step 1: Open Edge browser. Click the Hub icon (...) and then click Settings to open Settings pane.

Step 2: Under Import favorites and other info section, there is a button called Import from another browser. Click that Import from another browser button.

Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive [​IMG]

Step 3: Under Import or export a file section, click the Export to file button to open Save as dialog. If the Export to a file button is missing, it’s because you have not installed Windows 10 Creators Update.

Step 4: Enter a name for the HTML file containing favorites and select a location to save the file before clicking the Save button. By default, the Edge browser saves the HTML file with Microsoft_Edge_Favortes_date name in the Documents folder.

Reinstalling Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

Step 1: Close Microsoft Edge browser, if it’s running.

Step 2: Open up File Explorer, click View and then check Hidden items box to view all hidden folders. This is required as some folders like AppData are hidden by default.

Step 3: Navigate to the following location:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages

Replace “UserName” with your user name.

Step 4: Delete the folder named Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe. If it refuses to delete some files, click Skip.

Step 5: Restart your computer.

Step 6: Launch PowerShell as administrator. This can be done by typing PowerShell in Start menu or taskbar search box, right-clicking on PowerShell entry and then clicking Run as administrator option.

Step 7: Once PowerShell is launched, navigate to your user account’s directory by executing the following command.

Code: cd C:\users\yourusername[/quote] Replace “yourusername” with your actual user name of your account.

Step 8: Copy and paste the following command into Powershell and then press Enter key.

Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}[/quote] That’s it! Restart your computer once again. You should now be able to launch and use the Edge browser without any issues.

Repair Microsoft Edge
    The ability to repair Microsoft Edge browser is available in Fall Creators Update for Windows 10. The same feature doesn’t exist in Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703).

Here is how to repair Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

Step 1: Open the Settings app. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features.

Step 2: Look for Microsoft Edge entry and click on the same. You should now see Advanced options link. Click on the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.

Step 3: Click the Repair button. The Repair option repairs Microsoft Edge browser without removing your data.

Reset Microsoft Edge
    The ability to reset Microsoft Edge browser is available in Fall Creators Update for Windows 10. The same feature doesn’t exist in Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703).

Resetting Microsoft Edge browser will delete your browser history, cookies, and settings. Edge favorites (bookmarks) will not be removed.

Here is how to reset Microsoft Edge browser in Windows 10.

Step 1: Open the Settings app. Navigate to Apps > Apps & features.

Step 2: Look for Microsoft Edge entry and click on the same. You should now see Advanced options link. Click on the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.

Step 3: Here, click the Reset button and then click the Reset button again when you see the confirmation flyout to reset Microsoft Edge.

In a few seconds, a check sign will appear next to the Reset button indicating that the reset is complete.

FreeBooter, Jan 12, 2018
  13. johnk51 Win User

Well, I've tried all that and some I've done multiple times. Still nothing works. For now she's using chrome. It works.

johnk51, Jan 14, 2018
  14. If she is happy with Chrome she can forget about Microsoft Edge or do a Windows Updates.

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Edge slow after putting in new hard drive - Similar Threads - Edge slow putting

2. New hard drive now my pc is slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New hard drive now my pc is slow: new hard drive clean installed windows and activated it and now my wifi is extremely slow and was previously very good. my wifi itself is very good and my ethernet cord is working perfectly fine and i have all drivers up to date...
  3. New hard drive now my pc is slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New hard drive now my pc is slow: new hard drive clean installed windows and activated it and now my wifi is extremely slow and was previously very good. my wifi itself is very good and my ethernet cord is working perfectly fine and i have all drivers up to date...
  4. New hard drive now my pc is slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?: I have a computer right now. I put a new ssd in it. I cloned the stuff on my old hard drive into the ssd. If I later take out that ssd to a new computer that I'm building right now. Can I keep the windows on both computers or do I have to reinstall it on the new computer with...
  6. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?: I have a computer right now. I put a new ssd in it. I cloned the stuff on my old hard drive into the ssd. If I later take out that ssd to a new computer that I'm building right now. Can I keep the windows on both computers or do I have to reinstall it on the new computer with...
  7. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. Putting Windows on a new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Putting Windows on a new Hard Drive: I've recently bought a 1TB NVMe SSD that I'm planning on making my primary drive with Windows on and retiring my current OS drive which is a 120GB SATA SSD. The problem is the choices seem endless on what the best way to go about this is. There's things like the Creation...
  9. Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Replacing a new hard drive on a slow laptop?: Hello! I have my old laptop Lenovo Y50 non touch since 2015. In the last few years it has really become very slow, especially at the start. At startup it also likes to switch from the lock screen to the password prompt until you can finally write something in. It's...
  10. Crashed hard drive issues - creating ISO to put on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Crashed hard drive issues - creating ISO to put on new SSD: Hi My old laptop hard drive crashed last year - I got the files recovered and they are now on an external SSD (I was using windows 10). I have purchased a new SSD and inserted it into the computer as the main hard drive My question is - how do I install windows 10 on...