Windows 10: Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

Discus and support Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scottyja, Feb 6, 2018.

1. scottyja Win User

Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in (C:\Users\<username>\Pictures\camera_originals). However, if I drill down in Windows Explorer to the 'camera_originals' directory, the search does not work (please see screenshots).

I've tried adding files to the index and rebuilding the index. There is no change. The only thing I can think of causing a complication are user directories (Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc..) are on a separate drive from my c drive. My c drive is a small SSD, so I have junctions pointing the e drive. This has been working fine for over a year, though, and the search problem is just starting. Any ideas where to start?

This is the search that works:
    search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20Pictures&crumb=System.Generic.String%3AIMG_2353_2017&crumb=lo cation:C%3A%5CUsers%5C<username>%5CPictures

This one does not:
    search-ms:displayname=Search%20Results%20in%20camera_originals&crumb=System.Generic.String%3AIMG_2353_2017& crumb=location:C%3A%5CUsers%5C<username>%5CPictures%5Ccamera_originals

Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders [​IMG]

:)

scottyja, Feb 6, 2018
  2. Phil721 Win User

Print to pdf on windows 10 doesn't include file name correctly in search index

When I create a file with MS Print to PDF, I can see and access the file in the Documents folder I assign it to. However if I search using the file name through Windows Explorer in the Documents folder (or the specific subfolder the target files are stored
    in), the file is not found.

Windows Explorer search finds PDF files that were created using Nitro or Adobe Acrobat and stored within the Documents folders as expected.

However, I discovered that if I search the C:\ directory, the files created with MS Print to PDF are included in the search results with the correct path to the subfolder within Documents.

The above holds true for files created both before an after the Windows 10 fall upgrade. Do I have something set incorrectly on my PC or is this a common problem?

Phil

Phil721, Feb 6, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    How can I SEARCH for my files in Windows 10?

Ablem,

You can search from within File explorer [the Windows 10 version of Windows explorer].

Look in the upper right of a File explorer window and you'll see the search bar where you can type in the search term you want.

To search in a particular folder & its subfolders, navigate to it in File explorer before entering the search term and the search will be confined to within the currently selected folder.

Tryx3, Feb 6, 2018
  4. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

Hello and welcome to TF,

Have you tried checking the windows search index service in services.msc?

Right click bottom left of your screen >>> Run >>> type in "services.msc" >>> look for a service called either "Windows Search" or "Windows Search Index" and double click it. Now click on "stop">>> restart your pc >>>open services.msc again and click on start. Now check if it's working.

Let me know if this helped.

Midou35000, Feb 6, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, not sure about this one- but the fact that you say it's only started to be a problem recently is significant, suggesting some change or corruption.

1. Do you have a system restore point or disk image created before this started happening you could use?
    2. Try using the Windows Search Troubleshooter.
    Troubleshoot Problems in Windows 10 with Troubleshooters Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...-fix-problems/
    Then if that doesn't work see that article about resetting Windows search.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  6. scottyja Win User
    Maybe I should have said I just noticed it recently. Perhaps it's always been an issue, but it seems to be the sort of thing I would have quickly noticed. The Windows Search Troubleshooter couldn't find anything. I'll try a restore point when I get home.

scottyja, Feb 6, 2018
  7. scottyja Win User
    No luck there, either. I guess it's not the biggest issue in the world, and I can find the files if I know where to initiate the search, just hoping it's not the sign of something larger.

scottyja, Feb 6, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Presumably when you navigate to the 'camera_originals' folder, you can see the files there, can you?

It's hard to imagine displaying a folder with a file name present, searching with a string that matches that name, and it not being found.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  9. scottyja Win User
    Yes, the file is there. The search is successful if I do it in Explorer from the Pictures directory, or Quick Access or even 'This PC', but once I start drilling down, it's like it doesn't exist.

scottyja, Feb 6, 2018
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, try the troubleshooter if not already run and search reset in my post above.

Also post a screenshot of when you have that folder open showing the files (not the search result).

Try the same scenario, but under a different parent folder (not Pictures) - create the folder containing 2 or 3 pictures. Allow search to update its index.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2018
  11. scottyja Win User
    So here's a picture of the file in it's folder:

Even weirder - if I search from c:, I can find the file:

If I drill down to *any* sub-folder (in this case Users), no dice:

If I search for *any* file named "IMG*", which there are thousands, I get nothing, even when doing the search from the folder the files are in:

I get similar behavior with mp3 or mp4 files. If I search the whole c: or e:, I can find thousands. Drill down to my User directories and nothing comes up. This is a head scratcher.

Search reset has not helped.

scottyja, Feb 7, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    It must be that. Never having used junctions I can't comment, I'm afraid.
    I would guess it's the difference between a logic representation and the physical reality.

What happens if you open explorer at the actual folders on E: ?

Somehow you can navigate an apparent folder structure, but as a starting point for the search, Windows isn't seeing that as equivalent to the physical folder containing the files, or a point in the hierarchy above them.

Try creating a simple set of, say, 3 nested folders, no junctions, with a distinctively named file in each. Let search index them. Then demonstrate you can find them with explorer open at different folders.

If it is to do with how you've set up your folder structure, and it used to work but now now, that's even stranger.

Normally relocating user folders is done by using the Location tab in Properties. (Some users get themselves into real difficulty using that though, I think by incorrectly specifying the new location).
    E.g.
    Move Location of Pictures Folder in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

dalchina, Feb 7, 2018
  13. scottyja Win User

I think you nailed it. I can find the file if I search on E: and any subfolder in that drive. Not sure it's worth troubleshooting any more at this point. It is definitely odd that Windows will find it at the Pictures directory level (whether looking at C: or E: drives), but once you drill down in C: it loses sight of it. Either way, think I just know to search from E: from here on out.

I tried doing the move location to E: initially, but if I installed an application on C:, many of them would recreate the directories on C:, which was frustrating. I'd then have 'Pictures' under C:\Users\ and on E: - I gave up and just made junctions, which has worked wonderfully so far (except for this week's revelation). Maybe I spend some time seeing if I get get Windows search/index to follow junctions - that should solve it. If so, I'll update this thread.

Thanks for the help!

scottyja, Feb 7, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    - sounds like progress, if not a solution.

Maybe someone somewhere can give a precise explanation of what's going on.

It might be interesting to compare how a 3rd party search tool (free, often recommended) - find as you type- copes.
    E.g.
    Locate32 (which I prefer); Everything by void tools - more services and background CPU use I found- Ultrasearch.

It's really handy to have one of those as well. Fast MFT indexing, no content indexing although there are some extra options which support search in found text files, reg ex search, fill-in fields for date, size limits etc etc.

Unlike Windows search, you don't have to think.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders - Similar Threads - Explorer search search

2. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

in Cortana
    How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?: I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard Windows Explorer Search bar does not appear to have the basic functionality of automatically populating results as the user types...
  3. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?: I finally switched to Windows 10 Pro today. Among all the other things that simply do not work as well as they did in Windows 7 Pro, the standard Windows Explorer Search bar does not appear to have the basic functionality of automatically populating results as the user types...
  4. How to auto-populate search results in Windows Explorer Search?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. windows explorer search partial results

in Cortana
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  6. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer search partial results: strange behavior: windows 10 pro windows-explorer, while using the regular explorer search bar not Cortana, the results displayed are only from files whos filename begins with the letter "A"your thoughts appreciated...
  7. windows explorer search partial results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  9. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...