Windows 10: Windows Security/Defender won't stay open

Discus and support Windows Security/Defender won't stay open in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Often, when I'm away from my computer, my Windows Security/Windows Defender antivirus software closes itself, even though I prefer for it to be open... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rgconover, Sep 14, 2019.

1. rgconover Win User

Windows Security/Defender won't stay open

Often, when I'm away from my computer, my Windows Security/Windows Defender antivirus software closes itself, even though I prefer for it to be open all the time. I've checked the settings in the program, but can't find anything related. Advice? Thanks in advance.

:)

rgconover, Sep 14, 2019

2. Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

Thanks @Hydrate! Followed Step 3 of Option 2 and rebooted ... problem solved!

I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days and if all stays good, I will mark this thread closed.

elprice7345, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

When I open Windows Defender Security Center, it opens and then closes itself.

I’m running Windows 10 Home, v1703, with the latest updates.

I run Norton Security as my primary AV & firewall with the latest updates.

I did a system reset in the last couple of months.

I have the latest Defender updates according to: https://www.microsoft.com/security/p...tions/adl.aspx

Defender seems to be functioning, but generating the following errors:

• Event ID 3: The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall.
    • Event ID 16: Error while updating Windows Defender status to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON.
    • Event ID 1000:
    Faulting application name: SecHealthUI.exe, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbce5
    Faulting module name: SecHealthUIDataModel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbc8d
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000015b847
    Faulting process id: 0x27f0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f12745cc2b1f
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\SecHealthUI.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_cw5n1h2txyewy\SecHealthUIDataModel.dll
    Report Id: bcac3ab1-757d-47fb-8d4f-c089173b11e0
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI_10.0.15063.0_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: SecHealthUI

I have tried options 3 and 5 in this tutorial: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10. Options 1 and 2 aren’t available to me since the settings window won’t stay open. Option 4 isn’t available for Windows Home.

As I said above, AFAICT, Defender seems to be working, but the Defender Security window won’t stay open and it’s generating a lot of errors.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting and/or fixing this issue?

elprice7345, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Hydrate Win User

Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

None of your screenshots work. I suggest uploading them to tinypic.com or imgur.com and then posting a direct link within your post please.

Screenshots would be helpful.

Hydrate, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Security/Defender won't stay open - Similar Threads - Security Defender won't

2. Windows Defender won't open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender won't open: Lately, I have had so many issues with my Surface Pro X, to the point I want to smash it against the ground. I must have reset my PC about a dozen times with all the issues I encountered with their newest updates. Anyways, the issue I am encountering is Windows Defender will...
  3. Windows Security won't open.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Security won't open.: Hi! I am on windows 10 64 bits version 2004 but when I try to open windows security app, it starts then closes. Is there a way to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-wont-open/e3e982c5-79ba-45e1-9fbe-dceef42e6e82
  4. "Settings" window won't stay open

in Windows 10 Support
    "Settings" window won't stay open: The "Settings" window will only stay open for a few seconds - then closes before I can access anything. Help? 161542
  5. windows security won't open

windows security won't open: I accidentally downloaded opera browser and avast antivirus while trying to download bit torrent. Shortly after, my Wifi stopped working,windows firewall got turned off and the PC stopped working to restart a few times on its own . I figured a virus had gotten downloaded so I...
  6. Windows Defender Won't Open

Windows Defender Won't Open: Hello! Just a quick question for the community. I have ran into a problem with Windows Defender. When I go to Settings > Windows Security, I can't open Windows Defender. All it says is that "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender." I've looked over the forum and...
  7. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open: This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge)...
  8. Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Edge (browser) won't stay open: This afternoon Edge suddenly stopped staying open. i.e. I click on the Edge icon and an Edge window opens but closes silently about 5 seconds later. Edge worked fine earlier in the day and the only things that I did besides e-mail (Thunderbird) and browsing (Vivaldi and Edge)...
  9. Windows Defender won't open

Windows Defender won't open: Hello, I have recently bought a new PC for gaming. I updated all drivers for windows and all updates. While looking I tried to open windows defender dashboard. Once I clicked it I just got the loading icon on my mouse and nothing ever opened. I can see it is turned on...
  10. Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open

Windows Defender Security Center Won't Stay Open: When I open Windows Defender Security Center, it opens and then closes itself. I’m running Windows 10 Home, v1703, with the latest updates. I run Norton Security as my primary AV & firewall with the latest updates. I did a system reset in the last couple of months....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open windows security wont open

2. windows security wont stay open