Windows 10: Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU

Discus and support Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Some time ago my GPU (AMD Radeon HD 7870) stopped working correctly. Since i wasnt sure about it from the start, i tried some things and one of it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Crywolf, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Crywolf Win User

Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU

Some time ago my GPU (AMD Radeon HD 7870) stopped working correctly. Since i wasnt sure about it from the start, i tried some things and one of it was formatting my drive and reinstalling windows. After windows was installed, it detected my GPU and downloaded its AMD drivers automatically but when it tried to install them, i was having blue screens (it turned out that my GPU was damaged and could work only with generic windows drivers). So after that, i removed the GPU from my computer and i switched to my Intel onboard graphics. The problem that i am facing though is that windows update still finds AMD driver updates and tries to install them unsuccessfully. I used the AMD driver uninstaller to remove any remnants of the drivers to see if that solves it and it seems that it uninstalled some things successfully and asked for a restart. After the restart, Windows Update found and started downloading AMD drivers again! In a few words, Windows behaves as if my GPU is still connected to my computer and will always download and try to install its drivers. If i try to remove any, it will download them from the start. Is there anything i can do about it?

:)

Crywolf, Sep 23, 2016
  2. GeeCash Win User

Gpu driver

I downloaded a plugin and it keep saying make sure gpu drivers are updated.....but when I update it it says it already is!!! What do I have to do!?

GeeCash, Sep 23, 2016
  3. C Riley Win User
    How to inform Windows Update of Outdated Drivers?

Windows Update keeps wanting to install Intel Drivers for my GPU from 2 years ago. Intel keeps wanting to update them to the latest from last August. So they do. And then one updates after the other is done and round and round they go. And Adobe products
    just keep telling me that my drivers aren't up to date. HELP! How do I let the Windows Updates database that is is using severely outdated drivers updates for my Intel GPU?

C Riley, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU

Go into device manager and delete that GPU if it's listed under Display adapters. If you get an option to also delete the drivers for it do it.

alphanumeric, Sep 23, 2016
  5. Crywolf Win User
    Hello and thank you for the answer but unfortunately it is not listed in my display adapters. The only device that is listed is "Intel HD Graphics 4600", which is my onboard graphics that i am currently using.

Crywolf, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Does that PC have an AMD CPU, or AMD chip-set? If yes, Windows update will install chip-set drivers for it. System specs for that PC would help.

alphanumeric, Sep 23, 2016
  7. Crywolf Win User
    I am sorry i wasnt so detailed about it, although i did mention in my previous post that my onboard graphics card was Intel HD Graphics 4600 so it is obvious that my CPU is Intel and more specifically Intel Core i5 4690. The update which is detected all the time is described as "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. driver update for AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series." so it is 100% the removed GPU and not some other AMD chipset.

Crywolf, Sep 23, 2016
  8. Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU

It may be obvious to those that run Intel hardware, but everything I have here is AMD powered. *Wink Wasn't 100% what was what. Is it in fact Windows update doing it, or maybe a left over AMD utility doing it?
    You may have to do another clean install, as your system is now, with that defective card removed.

alphanumeric, Sep 24, 2016
  9. Crywolf Win User
    I apologize then, i was not aware of it. Well it is Windows Update which finds them and then automatically tries to install them so i dont think its something else. By doing another clean install you mean windows? I am afraid that it will be an option if i dont find a solution to this as i worry that now that i m planning to buy an Nvidia GPU i may face problems because of this. Not to mention that there might be a possibility of windows trying to download and install the intergrated Intel graphics drivers as well once i change to my new Nvidia card, even if i disable it from BIOS.

Crywolf, Sep 24, 2016
  10. I have NVidia video cards in two older desktop PC's here, they also have onboard NVidia graphics and NVidia chip-sets. AMD CPU's though. I haven't had any issues with Windows updates installing incorrect drivers.
    The onboard video is auto disabled when the add in cards are detected by the BIOS. I just use the driver Windows update installs.
    My laptop is AMD APU, AMD chip-set, and AMD dedicated graphics. It has switchable graphics. I just use the driver Windows update installs.

I've never run into the issue your facing where a device I removed was still detected? Instead of doing a clean install you could try doing a Reset?
    Reset Windows 10

alphanumeric, Sep 24, 2016
  11. Crywolf Win User
    Well i may be having this problem because windows unsuccesfully tried to install the AMD drivers from the beginning. It is pretty annoying that Windows does not cancel the update procedure for devices that are no longer installed in the computer. I suppose i will try to reset this computer but only after i buy and install my new graphics card.

Crywolf, Sep 24, 2016
  12. TrustMe Win User
    I don't have a fix but maybe a workaround.

The first thing I would do is set my wifi connection to Metered so Windows does not automatically download the updates.. If your computer doesn't have wifi, there is a workaround for that too.

Here re is the guide if your computer has wifi
    Wireless Network Metered Connection - Set in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Here is the guide if your computer is using an Ethernet connection
    Ethernet Connection - Set as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Next download and install Windows Update MiniTool. You can use this program to hide the updates that you don't want. Here is a link for the download. If you do a Google search, you will many others.
    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

Here is a video on how to use the program. In the video he talks about a long delay when checking for updates, I did not experience that.
    How to Use Windows Update MiniTool - YouTube

The only problem is you will have to remember to check for updates with the MiniTool before Windows downloads them. Even with your connection set to Metered, eventually Windows will download them. Using the Metered setting only delays the updates.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU

1. Windows Update keeps downloading drivers for a non-existant GPU - Similar Threads - Update keeps downloading

2. sound driver non existent after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound driver non existent after windows 11 update: hi there, my machine was recently updated to windows 11. the sound was working prior to the update, however, after the update, i noticed there is no driver whatsoever, even after the multiple installations of other drivers. i've downloaded the hp support assistant to identify...
  3. sound driver non existent after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound driver non existent after windows 11 update: hi there, my machine was recently updated to windows 11. the sound was working prior to the update, however, after the update, i noticed there is no driver whatsoever, even after the multiple installations of other drivers. i've downloaded the hp support assistant to identify...
  4. Keep Win 10 from updating the GPU driver & downloading updates automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep Win 10 from updating the GPU driver & downloading updates automatically: Hi,my work PC has got 2 gpus, a GTX 1050Ti and a GT 710. The first is used for my main monitor and a couple of other things, the second is used for extra monitors. To make both gpus work at the same time a very specific Nvidia driver is needed and yet Win 10 keeps updating...
  5. Keep Win 10 from updating the GPU driver & downloading updates automatically

Keep Win 10 from updating the GPU driver & downloading updates automatically: Hi,my work PC has got 2 gpus, a GTX 1050Ti and a GT 710. The first is used for my main monitor and a couple of other things, the second is used for extra monitors. To make both gpus work at the same time a very specific Nvidia driver is needed and yet Win 10 keeps updating...
  6. Keep Win 10 from updating the GPU driver & downloading updates automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't cancel update of driver for non-existent device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't cancel update of driver for non-existent device: After a power surge on my neutral line, I lost the ability to control one of my printers. I eventually took the printer to e-waste recycling, but did not immediately uninstall it from the system. Now, Windows 10 Update keeps trying to update the driver and warning me that the...
  8. Can't cancel update of driver for non-existent device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't cancel update of driver for non-existent device: After a power surge on my neutral line, I lost the ability to control one of my printers. I eventually took the printer to e-waste recycling, but did not immediately uninstall it from the system. Now, Windows 10 Update keeps trying to update the driver and warning me that the...
  9. Can't cancel update of driver for non-existent device

10. Windows Update trying to install drivers for non-existent devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update trying to install drivers for non-existent devices: Hi there, currently I have Windows 10 installed on an external SSD connected to my MacBook Pro, kinda like a Windows-To-Go installation. I've recently booted up the system on another PC for just a couple of minutes so there wasn't enough time for the system to install...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do I remove KB833858

2. amd radeon non existant monitor