Windows 10: Windows update; "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

Discus and support Windows update; "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; To be very clear, I am currently running Windows 10. Windows is trying to run some updates on top of that and is failing. I have checked my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by virushaan, Dec 8, 2016.

1. virushaan Win User

Windows update; "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

To be very clear, I am currently running Windows 10. Windows is trying to run some updates on top of that and is failing. I have checked my computer and disk management and there is not actually a system reserved partition. Thoughts??

:)

virushaan, Dec 8, 2016
  2. freemike Win User

win 7 sp1 to win 10

I trying to update windows 7 sp1 to windows 10 get notice "we couldn't update the system reserve partition"

freemike, Dec 8, 2016
  3. Upgrade problem Error We couldn't update the system reserved partition

When attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 I get the following message when it is trying to install: "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." What is the system reserved system and what does this mean?

olddog1929, Dec 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Well, if there isn't a system reserved partition, that is probably why Windows update could not update it.

Would you mind posting a screenshot of disk management, with all the columns widened enough so we can see all the data in them:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  5. virushaan Win User
    Thanks for your help.

Windows update; "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." [​IMG]

virushaan, Dec 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The "system reserved" partition the error message is talking about is usually the first partition listed on disk 0 - the EFI System Partition. The problem is that normally when that error is received it is because that partition is 100mb in size and Windows considers that too small to be updated. Since yours in 500mb in size, it is really hard to say what is causing that error.

Which update is giving you that error?

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  7. virushaan Win User
    Not too sure which update. How can I check?

virushaan, Dec 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Click on the start icon, then the settings icon. Select updates and security. Then Update History. Is it showing failed updates?

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  9. virushaan Win User
    I don't actually see a box for 'Update History'.

virushaan, Dec 8, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
  11. dalchina New Member
    Mightn't that be the 16Mb Reserved partition not visible using Disk Management?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows update; "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." - Similar Threads - update couldn't update

2. 'We couldn't update the system reserved partition' dialogue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    'We couldn't update the system reserved partition' dialogue: While i am updating my windows 10 to latest version my pc is showing the dialogue "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" I've tried it many times but unable to update it Tell me what should i do...
  3. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "We couldn't update the system reserved partition": [ATTACH] "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I am getting this error when I try to update windows. Here's a screenshot of my drives. I have windows installed on disk 3, which is my C drive. For some reason on disk management, it shows that the system...
  4. Windows Update - We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition

Windows Update - We Couldn't Update the System Reserved Partition: Evening all, So I have a bit of an issues at the moment which has been going on for some time. I've been trying to go through proper HP Support but they seem to be ignorant of the situation and just ignore my requests for help. In itself, this isn't great as I am under...
  5. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition": [ATTACH] I'm currently trying to update to Windows 10 using Microsoft's media tool on their website. It gets to a certain point then gives me the below error message: Upgrade error message I've briefly messed around in the partitions before when I bought an SSD to...
  6. "We couldn't update the system reserved partition"

"We couldn't update the system reserved partition": I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 10 Basic to Windows 10 Pro from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 My system is set up with GPT. This seems to be a significant issue because most solutions online only work for MBR. After I go through the...
  7. we couldn't update the system reserved partition

we couldn't update the system reserved partition: Trying to download Windows 10 (I have Windows 7) here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 I go through that DL process and it shoots an error message: "we couldn't update the system reserved partition" and I find this is a pretty common error message...
  8. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

We couldn't update the system reserved partition: I have windows updates that I cannot run. The problem seems to be a space one. Disk 0 is a clone of Disk 1. When I did a search I have found several articles explaining how to expand the partition, but I do not seem to have one to expand. I am thinking it is the D: drive...
  9. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

We couldn't update the system reserved partition: The update automatically tries to install but I keep getting this. It says Windows 10 couldn't be installed. We couldn't update the system reserved partition. Several times I got error code: 8000FFFF. I'm trying to update a Dell Optiplex 780 with Windows 7 Pro. SP1 9956
  10. We couldn't update the system reserved partition

We couldn't update the system reserved partition: I have googled this issue a lot and I see a lot of things that can be done but I some are not working. My partitions look different so its a little strange. When I try to upgrade to 10, I get the error message "We couldn't update the system partition". I had an older SSD that...