Windows 10: Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

Discus and support Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by drt0, Mar 14, 2016.

1. drt0 Win User

Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7

Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit when Windows 10 launched, then a few months later, around New Year I decided to do a clean install. I made an installation disc with the program from Microsoft's website and did the procedure, skipping when asked about a product key.

After that, however, I started getting messages that "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. Error: 0x803F7001". That is even though I still have the emails from when I upgraded to 10 and my old install is still listed on my Microsoft account. When I asked Microsoft on the phone about this they told me I needed either the key I used for Windows 7 with which I upgraded or a new Windows 10 key. My old key is long lost and I feel I shouldn't have to pay for a new key when it is pretty clear it's the same machine and since it's also stated I don't need a key after a clean install after an upgrade.

Is there any way to prove that my laptop is the same one that upgraded from windows 7 so that I can get my OS activated? Any and all help is much appreciated!

Here are some of the things that I already tried per advice elsewhere:

- A program that shows the Windows key. It found a key but when I tried it in Change Product Key in settings it thought about it for a while and said "Windows can't activate with this product key" with the same error 0x803F7001 as before. I will probably call Microsoft tomorrow about this key.
    - Possibly a new MAC address was made. Nope, it's the same one according to my router.
    - Incorrect date and time. Everything regarding that is set to automatically get the information from Microsoft.
    - Laptops have the key on a sticker on the bottom. Mine didn't come with Windows so no sticker.

:)

2. Windows 10 BootLoop after reset

Hi Dion,

I apologize for the delayed response.The Windows 7 key won't be accepted to activate Windows 10. If your copy of Windows was activated successfully after you upgrade from Windows 7, then you won't have to activate on subsequent clean install of Windows 10.
    if the activation was not successful after the upgrade then you might be prompted to enter the product key. In this case, you will have to install Windows 7 again, activate it with the old key and then perform an upgrade.

Bennet Martin, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 clean install

I did an upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 (all legal). Now I had to do another clean install of Windows 10 and it won't activate. Will I have to reinstall Windows 7 again to upgrade to Windows 10 for it to activate?

JustSayinAJ, Mar 14, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Mar 14, 2016
  5. drt0 Win User
    Method 1: I tried with the key that I got from the program as stated in the OP but it didn't work.
    Method 2: I tried this just now 2 times to make sure I input things correctly but it told me it couldn't give me a verification code or something of that sort.
    Method 3: Isn't this just to install a new Windows 7 then upgrade to 10. This defeats the purpose of doing a clean install.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. jds63 Win User
    O.k. not sure understood exactly what it told touch on method 2, usually would say to contact Microsoft directly as yo udid if this method did not work.
    Sure when doing clean install the same Windows 10 Pro was selected ? Try option 3 here Activate Windows 10
    Your welcome.

jds63, Mar 14, 2016
  7. drt0 Win User
    About method 2, I input the 63 digit installation ID, but the automated call system told me it could not give me a confirmation ID to enter for the next step. I will try to call tomorrow to talk to a person about this.

I'm pretty sure it was Windows 10 pro 64-bit after the upgrade as well. Are there different versions of pro 64-bit that I might have installed a different one with the clean install, although I remember checking about this stuff before I made the clean install? Also the Microsoft program that made the installation disk said it was going to make one specifically for my machine and windows version so I don't know how it could have gone wrong.

On option 3 from your link, I ran the command with the key I found with the program and got the same successful window that is on the post. However, the watermark is still here and in settings it says Windows isn't activated.

8. jds63 Win User

If the phone call told you anything usually it will say it does not match and will then tell you to call Microsoft direct on the phone, i did this few times in past myself. What program exactly did you use to make this Windows media, Media Creation tool ? The only other version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit would be either the KN and N version for Europe or Asia . http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/w...nd-kn-editions

Option 3 it does say to use the key listed in tutorial as everybody has the same key for upgrade for Windows Pro from what i have heard.By watermark you mean to the bottom right on top of the taskbar ?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

jds63, Mar 14, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    To : drt0,
    You said " My old key is long lost ......"

Since you have a laptop, is your Win 7 Ultimate product key attached to the bottom of the laptop still readable ?

davidhk, Mar 14, 2016
  10. drt0 Win User
    It was with the Media Creation Tool that is Option 2 in the article you linked.

Running the command with the key from the tutorial got me this "Error: 0xC004E016 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition, run 'slui.exe 0x2a 0xC004E016' to display the error text." which says that the software licensing service reported that the product key is invalid. And yes on the watermark.

11. cereberus Win User
    Are you sure you have installed right version of pro?

There are 4 versions of the iso (normal, N EU version, SL single language version, and K Korean version.

cereberus, Mar 14, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Yes, i said that and thread starter being from Bulgaria.

jds63, Mar 14, 2016
  13. drt0 Win User

I think both are normal as I had media player on both and that is supposedly missing from N versions. I've always used English as interface language and have a Bulgarian keyboard to switch when typing, so I'm not sure if I can't be sure I wasn't on some English-only version before and now I'm on a Normal version with English. How can I check my current version?

Thema:

1. Windows won't activate clean install after upgrade from Windows 7 - Similar Threads - won't activate clean

2. Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install Windows 10 after upgraded from win 7 to 10: My Dad said he wanted a fresh install of windows 10, he previously has upgraded from win 7 to 10. I have already prepared an installation media with the media creation tool but it was done on my old pc and I selected to upgrade for another pc / ISO creation rather than...
  3. Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate clean install after upgrading from Win7: Hello, I'm trying to activate my Windows 10 with the key I got from the upgrade I did with Windows 7. I used a virtual machine for the upgrade and it did activated but after a clean install it just saying I can't activate it. The actions I did: 1. Install win7 on...
  4. Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating

Clean install after upgrade Windows NOT activating: Did a clean install after a Windows 10 Pro upgrade, from a disk created from an ISO from media creator...all went ok, but says Windows not activated....just telling me to go to the store and buy a licence or enter a new key.... It was activated before I did the clean...
  5. Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate

Followed steps for clean install from upgrade, but won't activate: I've read the instructions on various websites. I had Windows 8.1 Home activated and updated. Upgraded to Windows 10 Home. It activated and updated. Did a clean install of Windows 10 Home and it won't activate. I skipped both key input screens and it says my key is...
  6. Windows not activated after clean install

Windows not activated after clean install: Hello, I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the windows updater. After windows 10 was installed, I decided to download this Windows 10 and chose the USB option. I booted into my USB and when selecting the partition, I deleted every partition that was there (even the...
  7. Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7

Clean re-install after upgrade from Win 7: I had Win 7 home on my laptop (64bit), then received and installed the free upgrade to Win 10 in Autumn 2015. The laptop is now running quite erratically and very slow and I feel it is time to do a clean re-install. I do not wish to go back to Win 7, just have a clean...
  8. Clean Install after upgrade from 7 don't work !! Can't activate the OS

Clean Install after upgrade from 7 don't work !! Can't activate the OS: Hello, I have upgraded my 7 install to Windows 10 this morning. All works fine & 10 says my copy is genuine and validated. After that, I decided to create a copy of 10 install on DVD with the Windows 10 tool. At lauch of install, Windows doesn't recognize my old 7 key. I...
  9. Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro

Upgrade and clean install failed from Windows 7 pro: Maybe someone can push me in the right direction to a fix ? Or should I buy a new computer? Today I decided to accept Microsoft's invitation to download and upgrade my windows 7 pro, unfortunately, it didn't go so smoothly as I had hoped it would! It downloaded ok and...
  10. Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not activate after upgrade / clean install?: Hey Guys I upgraded from 8.1 (genuine Sony Vaio ) using the media creation upgrade option, it installed and activated to windows 10 pro. I then used the same media creation tool to download the iso and used Rufus to put it onto a usb so that I could do a clean install....