Windows 10: Windows won't boot after a power outage

Discus and support Windows won't boot after a power outage in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys Today there was a power outage in my house while my computer was turned on. I turned on again and a BSOD with the code MACHINE CHECK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pacofernandez58, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Windows won't boot after a power outage

Hello guys

Today there was a power outage in my house while my computer was turned on. I turned on again and a BSOD with the code MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION appeared. I turned it off and turned it on and it won't boot in normal mode, it stays in a black screen. I can get into safe mode without networking. I don't know what to do or what information do you need. I've thought about reinstalling Windows but I don't know if it's the best option.

I'm not English so sorry if I've made any mistake.

Thank you

:)

pacofernandez58, Feb 10, 2018

2. Monitor refresh 144hz - but one time booted with lower value.

Just wondering why on first boot ( after power outage ) refresh was normal at start 144hz. It happened when i manually turn off computer and turn on again,and on my second boot it happened. Refresh was
    lower than 144hz. To make again 144hz i turned off monitor and turn back on again.

So that was bug or that power outage related?

sewewewassasasa, Feb 10, 2018
  3. Brian

Started upgraded on a Asus laptop two nights ago.

Half way through the install we had a power outage for a few hours.

Now when laptop starts up it dispays the Windows 10 logo then the screnn goes black and won't go into windows.

I cannot boot into safe mode either.

Can someone help???

BrianKerry, Feb 10, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Windows won't boot after a power outage

In safe mode you should open an admin command prompt and use the Code: DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth[/quote] command to check the state of your Windows OS files. Chances are pretty high that something got whacked when the power fault occurred. This will tell you for sure if my speculation is correct. You can read more about this and other related commands in this TenForums tutorial: Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image.
    Let us know what turns up when you do this, and we can recommend further or proper repair strategies. If DISM won't do the job, an upgrade repair install will probably be the next suggestion. If something hardware related is at fault -- a definite possibility, given your error code -- other strategies will come into play, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 10, 2018
  5. mrgeek Win User
    Is this what you see ?

Windows won't boot after a power outage [​IMG]

It's caused by an incompatible driver, in many cases the video or graphics (almost certain, in your case with a black screen). In safe mode, try a System Restore point if you have one, since it was working before the outage. Otherwise,
    Here is a fairly recent forum solution that may apply to your situation. You can use 'zbook's' instructions to narrow down the problem in your device. - Machine Check Exception Win 10 BSOD
    Do a search on the forum for 'Machine Check Exception' if this one does not fit your situation.
    If you don't want to go thru all this, download a Win10 ISO onto a flash drive from another machine,if you can't on yours, ( How to download a Windows 10 ISO file ) plug it in, and mount ISO, then run setup.exe and do a Repair Install which will overwrite the system and let you keep your programs and files. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Feb 10, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    There's that repair install I mentioned! Here's the TenForums tutorial that explains how to do this: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation. This is actually my go-to strategy for fixing semi-serious Windows problems (or worse). Your reported problem totally qualifies for that kind of characterization. The great thing about an upgrade repair install is that it leaves your files and installed applications unchanged, and requires less post-install cleanup work, tweaking, and tuning than a clean install would.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 10, 2018
  7. I run the DISM command and it says
    'No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully.'

What should I do? The repair install?

Thank you

pacofernandez58, Feb 10, 2018
  8. mrgeek Win User

Easy enough to do Repair Install vs taking time to diagnose, will take about 1.5-2 hrs to complete, faster if you elect not to do Updates until after finished. Also, that way, you will know if an Update caused the problem after the base install. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Feb 10, 2018
  9. spunk Win User
  10. zbook New Member
    The MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000009C. This bug check indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred.

BSOD can occur from:
    1) misbehaving hardware drivers
    2) misbehaving software drivers
    3) malfunctioning hardware

This bugcheck typically indicates problem with hardware.

If you can open the windows advanced troubleshooting menu > safe mode with networking > run this log collector:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip
    Post a zip into the thread.
    Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

There should be 3 options for safe mode: safe mode, with command prompt, and with networking.
    If you can open safe mode with command prompt then run these commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) chkdsk /r
    When prompted for a reboot > type: Y

3) Other options you can use are system restore > start with the oldest restore point and move forward to the most recent. You can attempt this as many times as needed. (if there are no restore points then move to the next step)

4) The in place upgrade repair is an excellent option but you must first either download the iso to the desktop or create a bootable disk or bootable USB flash drive.

Download Windows 10
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Feb 11, 2018
  11. Many years ago having the power outage problem, all it took was setting the bios to default again.

Whether that will solve your problem is a maybe but it shouldn't hurt anything.

Jack

Layback Bear, Feb 11, 2018
  12. EdTittel Win User
    I agree that applying a repair install beats spending hours in diagnosis. The only thing is that a repair install won't fix problems with hardware , and the error code seems to indicate your problems may be hardware related, or perhaps related to driver damage from the power fault you experienced. A repair install will re-install all your drivers, too, so it may not be a bad thing to try if you can't find the source of your HW issues. I'd suggest launching reliability monitor and looking to see if it reports any hardware errors (type "reli" in the search box and an item named "View reliability history" should come up). If you're lucky, you'll see something like this:

Windows won't boot after a power outage [​IMG]

You can expand the error info, and get more information about what caused it. It's unlikely, but if you report errors in Reliability Monitor, Windows itself may even recommend a fix! (I'm batting a big fat 0.0000 on that likelihood myself.)
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 11, 2018
  13. Windows won't boot after a power outage

Sorry for answering so late, I couldn't do it before. I've tried looking at the reliability history but it doesn't show anything, just things like 'Microsoft Excel stopped working'. Tomorrow I will try resetting the BIOS, run the log collector and run the Safe Mode with command prompt.

If nothing works, I will do the repair install in a couple of days because I'm a bit paranoic and I want to do a backup of everything before doing it. But I read the guide and it says that I can't do it while I am in Safe Mode. What should I do then?

Thank you so much.

pacofernandez58, Feb 12, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Good plan! I think you will be well-served by it.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 12, 2018
  15. Steve C Win User
    I had this problem once which I fixed by setting the BIOS defaults as noted above. I would also run chkdsk either from safe mode or a repair disk to check / fix any disk errors on your system drive. Do this before trying the repair install.

Steve C, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows won't boot after a power outage - Similar Threads - won't boot power

2. Pc will not boot after power outage please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc will not boot after power outage please help: Windows 11 have tried check disk, boot rec and scan now commands in startup repair as well as startup repair itself. Is my only option left to try installing windows off a flash drive? I don’t have another computer so I was wondering how I could get that. Any help would be...
  3. Computer won't boot after momentary power outage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer won't boot after momentary power outage: I recently had a brief power outage while working on my Dell Optiplex GX520 desktop, which is fully up to date with Windows 10 and working fine for its age!. When I attempted to start the computer after the outage, I got a low battery voltage message and the computer would...
  4. Computer won't boot after momentary power outage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't boot after momentary power outage: I recently had a brief power outage while working on my Dell Optiplex GX520 desktop, which is fully up to date with Windows 10 and working fine for its age!. When I attempted to start the computer after the outage and got a low battery voltage message and the computer would...
  5. Computer won't boot after momentary power outage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't boot after momentary power outage: I recently had a brief power outage while working on my Dell Optiplex GX520 desktop, which is fully up to date with Windows 10 and working fine for its age!. When I attempted to start the computer after the outage and got a low battery voltage message and the computer would...
  6. PC won't boot past auto repair or into recovery after power outage

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't boot past auto repair or into recovery after power outage: I've tried every troubleshooting step I can find online, even Microsoft tech support hasn't been able to resolve the issue I'm having. I had a power outage Christmas Eve and when my pc came back on, it had a blue screen asking how I wanted to boot so just hit enter on the...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot past "preparing automatic repair" after power outage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't boot past "preparing automatic repair" after power outage: I've tried every troubleshooting step I can find online, even Microsoft tech support hasn't been able to resolve the issue I'm having. I had a power outage Christmas Eve and when my pc came back on, it had a blue screen asking how I wanted to boot so just hit enter on the...
  8. Windows 10 won't boot past Preparing Automatic Repair after power outage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 won't boot past Preparing Automatic Repair after power outage: My power went out xmas eve and when it came back on my pc was at a blue screen that had boot options, i just hit enter for the top one that mentioned default. Now it will never make it past the Windows logo with text saying "preparing automatic repair". I have tried hard...
  9. Computer Wont boot after power outage.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Wont boot after power outage.: This is an odd one. So far I have tried using the following: built in system repair options for startup repair. sfc/scannow (found integrity issues and repaired them) dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth (It said it found no errors) dism /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  10. Unable to boot after power outages

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to boot after power outages: Sorry my first post is to ask for help, but I'm having severe problems, I'm not familiar with Win 10, and I need help. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. this morning, while I was out, my wife advise we had a bunch of power outages (10 or 12, in about 2 minutes)....