Windows 10: WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903

Discus and support WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Spent about 70 man-hours trying to update with repeated fail and rollback. Tried everything on Microsoft support and google. Support expires in 7days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MacyPopples, Nov 5, 2019.

1. WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903

Spent about 70 man-hours trying to update with repeated fail and rollback. Tried everything on Microsoft support and google. Support expires in 7days so pretty desperate.

Toshiba Satellite x64 Laptop

Originally Windows 8.1 free upgrade to 10 on release. Legal license.

All the below tried:

Update fully up to date (according to WindowsUpdate) to Version 1803 OS Build 17134.1099

Drivers for system, motherboard/BIOS up to date

Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall uninstalled/deactivated

Windows Update Service reset (net stop wuauserv, cryptsvc, bits and msiserver; rename SoftwareDistribution folder to .old; start wuauserv, cryptsvc, bits, msiserver)

Secure Boot disabled in UEFI firmware.

Uninstalled, cleared (SLMGR) and finally re-entered and activated existing Licence Key - which was accepted.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth . No problems

SFC /scannow. No problems.

In Place Upgrade attempted 3 times, using (correct version) ISO obtained via the Media Creation Tool for latest 1903 x64, first via external USB DVD drive, then Virtual CD drive (set to stay mounted after reboot) from within Windows 10 (all peripherals apart from mouse disconnected). Completes full upgrade process including a restart without any issues or warnings (several hours later).Then shuts down. On restart, every time I get the dreaded reverting to previous version, or whatever it says, and I'm back where I started. When back in Windows, the last three times there's been a notice saying "Unable to Install... etc etc" followed by the following error codes and message:

0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation.

This seems to suggest some sort of driver/hardware conflict but no clue after much search how to deal with it.

I have run the Windows Update troubleshooter with following issues:

Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected - Fixed -(Tick)

Repair Windows Update DatabaseCorruption - Not Run

"One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer. Would you like to try this step now? Depending on your network configuration, you may incur download costs."

This has been done multiple times

Windows Update components must be repaired - Fixed - (Tick)

I have also been the whole way through the Fix Windows Update Errors (10164) walk-through from start to finish except for the Clean Install - I REALLY dont want to have to completely start again setting up user accounts, re-installing several years of software, hardware and data (I'm fully backed-up) when it's clearly an upate/upgrade problem, and there are no guarantees the Clean Install with actually work.

Actually, we all know this is down to a flaky Windows update either at 1803 or 1903, and MS don't seem able to sort it. Meanwhile I have a legal version of Windows 10 which I cannot update and am about to run out of support.

Any suggestions? I'm drowning here.

:)

MacyPopples, Nov 5, 2019

2. Windows 10 fails to update

Thanks,

The Users list compared to the Profile list you posted earlier tell me there is not an issue with Users (a known issue where there is a profile in the list, but not actual User folder).

The error code suggests corruption in the CBS manifest:
    Try these steps one at time until the issue is resolved or you run out of steps.

Is Windows activated?
    No? Activate Windows 10

Launch Command Prompt (Admin)
    enter the following line
    reg query HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /s
    If DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

launch regedit
    navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    change the value of DisableWindowsUpdateAccess to 0
    exit regedit
    exit Command Prompt

Launch Windows Update

Try the next suggestion if the issue is not resolved.

Restore health to the component store
    DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image
    Step 6. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:wim Command
    - OR -
    Step 7. To Use DISM /RestoreHealth /Source:esd Command
    Check System Files
    SFC Command - Run in Windows 10
    Read the front material, then
    follow >> OPTION THREE <<
    To Run SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 10

If there are integrity issues reported on screen,
    Follow the instructions in >> OPTION FIVE <<
    To View Only the "SFC" Scan Results from the CBS.LOG

If there are no integrity errors, Launch Windows Update

Paste the following line into the address bar of File Explorer
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\TroubleshootingLaunch System and Security > Fix problems with Windows Update
    Press Advanced
    Select Run as administrator
    Press Next

Launch Windows Update

Automatically reset Windows Update components
    Download and run MS Windows Update diagnostic cab (direct download)

Launch Windows Update

Manually reset Windows Updates via batch file

Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Launch Windows Update

Slartybart, Nov 5, 2019
  3. Win 10 1803 to 1903 update

My Desktop computer running Win 10 updated from version 1803 to 1903 a while back, but my Desktop running Win 10 version 1803

I'm assuming the update 1803 to 1903 has now resumed after the earlier problems caused a suspension?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

YadiraPatterson, Nov 5, 2019
  4. WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Nov 5, 2019
Thema:

WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903

1. WindowsUpdate fails Windows 10 1803 to 1903 - Similar Threads - WindowsUpdate fails 1803

2. Windows 10 update 1803 to 1903/1909 fails - BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update 1803 to 1903/1909 fails - BSOD: I am trying to update Windows 10 but I get an error. I get a BSOD with the following stop code: Driver IRQL not less or equal. What failed: NDIS.sys. This is while trying to update from 1803 to 1909 or 1903, happens with that as well. I have tried unplugging all the...
  3. Windows 10 update 1803 to 1903/1909 fails - BSOD

Windows 10 update 1803 to 1903/1909 fails - BSOD: I am trying to update Windows 10 but I get an error. I get a BSOD with the following stop code: Driver IRQL not less or equal. What failed: NDIS.sys. This is while trying to update from 1803 to 1909 or 1903, happens with that as well. I have tried unplugging all the...
  4. Windows 10 continuously failing to update (1803 to 1903/9)

Windows 10 continuously failing to update (1803 to 1903/9): Hello, I'm looking for help with this issue in the title. Windows 10 is completely incapable of updating. I've done every single possible thing I could trying to fix this but no dice. The update after reverting, at least when I tried through the update assistant and the ISO...
  5. windows 1803 update to 1903 failed

windows 1803 update to 1903 failed: I've updated for several times. It always stuck at first screen after rebooting. I try lots of command like: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth sfc /scannow No matter I use...
  6. Windows Update 1803 and 1903 - Continually Failing

Windows Update 1803 and 1903 - Continually Failing: Hi forum peoples, I've been searching and searching for... probably two months now to try and find help with this issue. Version 1803 wants to update, so it makes me update. That inevitably fails. So when I go in to try and check why it failed, it doesn't actually tell me...
  7. Windows 10 fails to upgrade from build 1803 to 1903

Windows 10 fails to upgrade from build 1803 to 1903: Gets to 60% and fails...Last failed install attempt on ‎11/‎14/‎2019 - 0xc1900101. I just read thru a thread from August (with the same subject title as mine) that seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing but it didn't include a resolution. I've been working on this for 3...
  8. Failed update windows 10 from 1803 to 1903

Failed update windows 10 from 1803 to 1903: Hello everyone,I got a problem when I update my windows 10 from 1803 to 1903,I had tried the update two times,first time is last month,and second time is yesterday;but the problem is the same: the update progress stuck at a reboot ,the black screen,and with the spinning...
  9. Updating from 1803 to 1903 failed

Updating from 1803 to 1903 failed: Hi, I'm trying to apply 1903 update (from 1803) to my system and I'm getting this error: 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation At 60% of the updating progress this error appears: "Windows...
  10. Updating Windows 10 1803 to 1903 Failing

Updating Windows 10 1803 to 1903 Failing: I have attempted numerous times to get windows to update to 1903. It gets to 60% and then errors with a pop up window. "windows could not configure one or more systems..." On reboot my pc is rolled back and i get another window that reads: "0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The...