Windows 10: Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User

Discus and support Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I noticed that my newer Windows 10 computer had not been added to my list of devices on my Microsoft Account so I attempted to add it, only to find out... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by johnpd, Dec 6, 2019.

1. johnpd Win User

Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User

I noticed that my newer Windows 10 computer had not been added to my list of devices on my Microsoft Account so I attempted to add it, only to find out that apparently the computer must be logged in to a Microsoft account user in order to do this. I only have local accounts set up on my computers and I don't particularly want a Microsoft account user set up as I will never use it. With the latest Win10 versions apparently Microsoft wants all computers to have a Microsoft account user set up as they make it very difficult to set up a local user as the first account. Does anyone have any way around this? I am not sure what listing this device on your account buys you.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Dec 6, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

Kari, Dec 6, 2019
  3. chideock Win User
    Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

Thank you. I will give it a try later today and post my results.

Got to it sooner than I thought.
    Your method worked perfectly.

Thank you

chideock, Dec 6, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Creating a MS account without losing Local account

Go to https://account.microsoft.com, click Create account and fill the form:

Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User [​IMG]

With a Microsoft account you can then use OneDrive and Office Online apps for free. You can also use built-in native Windows apps which require a Microsoft account like Mail, Skype Preview, People, Calendar and download apps from Windows Store.

See steps 3 to 5 in this tutorial to continue using local account as Windows sign-in account even when / if you download apps from store and / or use Windows apps requiring a Microsoft account, to avoid Windows user account converting to Microsoft account: Store - Use when Signing in to Windows 10 with Local Account - Windows 10 Forums

Other tutorials you might be interested in when you have created a Microsoft account:

Kari, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Adding a Device to Microsoft Account Requires a MS Account User - Similar Threads - Adding Device Microsoft

2. Microsoft Authenticator - non MS accounts added as 'personal'

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Authenticator - non MS accounts added as 'personal': Hello,I've recently started using the Microsoft Authenticator app for my two work MS accounts. I also decided to add some personal accounts that are non-Microsoft to the app e.g. amazon, PayPal, non-MS mail etc by scanning QR codes from the website. All of them were added...
  3. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add a Windows account to device A from device B?...
  4. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add a Windows account to device A from device B?...
  5. Adding windows user accounts

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding windows user accounts: Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to add a user account to another device? so for example is it possible to add an account to device A from device B? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-windows-user-accounts/228cb889-494c-4828-981e-fb1fce5796f2
  6. adding a device to my microsoft account

adding a device to my microsoft account: I cant seem to add another PC to my account even though it says I have up to 10 available to add. When I go to the add device screen it doesn't appear, says my device is turned off which it isn't and then when I try to add a device it just takes me back to the instruction...
  7. Adding a device to microsoft account

Adding a device to microsoft account: I tried adding a device to my Microsoft account but the password is not recognized. I tried rebooting but it didn't work. I tried changing the password but it didn't work....
  8. adding a device onto Microsoft account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    adding a device onto Microsoft account: I recently bought a game code and I redeemed it already, once I tried to install the game it asked me to link a device first. I'm downloading the game on my laptop so I chose laptop and it says to add it, I have to go to settings, then go to my account and then change it to a...
  9. Adding devices to my MS Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding devices to my MS Account: I subscribed to Office on one pc; how can I add another pc on the same account? The only selection is add a Local Account, which was denied....
  10. Adding MS Account to domain user says account '... is here already'

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding MS Account to domain user says account '... is here already': Have just upgraded my Surface Pro 2 with Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1. Tablet is a domain machine and the upgrade all went fine. The tablet was originally bought using my MS account and in the registry it has entries saying my MS account name (ie: my email address) is the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. re add device on microsoft account