Windows 10: Blank Tiles, how to fix them?

Discus and support Blank Tiles, how to fix them? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title states I'm suffering a severe case of blank tiles heavily impacting my happiness factor: [img] Ignore the missing one in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Durahl, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Durahl Win User

Blank Tiles, how to fix them?

As the title states I'm suffering a severe case of blank tiles heavily impacting my happiness factor:

Blank Tiles, how to fix them? [​IMG]

Ignore the missing one in the Multimedia Libraries section - That one had an 18+ restriction ;]

What I'm talking about are the solid green and grey ones.

The problem kinda happens at random - Most notably after returning from sleep.
    It also appears to affect both vanilla tiles ( like the two Xbox Tiles and the Forza Horizon 3 one ) as well as custom tiles created with the Pin More / Snowy Dune App / Program linking to either Applications, Games or just plain Websites.

Logging in and out of the PC or just restarting it will solve the issue with all Tiles.
    Resizing them to a different size ( and back to normal ) will solve it too though just for the resized Tile.

Graphics Drivers are up to date.
    Issue reappeared after reinstalling W10.
    Also affects my Surface Book with Performance Base.

The most obvious connection between this PC and my SBwPB are their 200% or above DPI resolution compared to my main PC which runs at stock native 100% without any issues - Though I'd call this a vague hunch.

Any ideas?

:)

Durahl, Jun 29, 2017
  2. Susan Bradley - volunteer here not a MS employee, Jun 29, 2017
  3. Gina_on_the_thread, Jun 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 29, 2017
  5. Durahl Win User
    I'll be giving this a try and report my findings =)

Durahl, Jun 29, 2017
  6. Durahl Win User
    Back again with my report.

It kind of works but then again not.
    • It restores the Tiles for them to return but only temporarily as it's not preventing them from disappearing again if they feel like doing so.
    • Judging the code, it should restore Windows to working condition after it killed the Explorer.exe but this isn't happening.
      While it does open the Explorer ( Frequent Folders ) once it's done it does not restore the Explorer.exe required for the Start Menu / Taskbar to be back thus requiring additional labor by opening the Task Manager and manually starting it from there.
      I tried adding a 3sec delay between the closing and the reopening but that didn't help.

Durahl, Jun 30, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 30, 2017
  8. Durahl Win User

Saw this recommendation before I opened this thread - Didn't find any issues.

Durahl, Jun 30, 2017
  9. Durahl Win User
    All right!

The issue with the *.bat file not working was caused by the Pin More App I use for custom Tiles ( or it's companion *.exe Snowy Dune ) as starting the *.bat file normally would have it working normal - So instead of making a Pin More Live Tile I resorted in making a custom Icon for a shortcut to the *.bat file and had it pinned to the Start Menu.

A few days ago though I came across this handy guide: Windows 10: How to fix blank tiles on Start Menu which, so far, appears to be working though it required a slight modification mentioned in one of the comments.

Durahl, Jul 17, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 17, 2017
  11. Durahl Win User
    Ah well... Apparently Re-Registering them didn't permanently fix the issue either - It took a while but now they're broken again.

I guess I'll have to rely on using the Clear Live Tile Cache to temporarily fix them until some day a permanent solution has been found.

What a drag xD

Durahl, Jul 23, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 23, 2017
  13. Durahl Win User

Shortly before or after opening this thread I had both my Surface Book restored and my HTPC reinstalled and both are, again, afflicted by this problem though it appears the Surface Book is having the issue more often.

Even weirder... I just noticed it also affecting regular *.exe like the GeForce Experience icon.

Durahl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Blank Tiles, how to fix them? - Similar Threads - Blank Tiles fix

2. Blank Tiles on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank Tiles on Start Menu: [ATTACH] Hi folks This has been like this for a few months now, but I'd like to try fix it. I've a couple of apps that just don't have icons; they display as blank in the Start Menu....
  3. Start menu tiles. How to make them the same background?

Start menu tiles. How to make them the same background?: [ATTACH] Hi, I have a question: How do I make the start menu tiles have the same style? Now, there's one that has a black background. I don't know if it's relevant, but it's Google Chrome. I would like to have it the same style as the others (see screenshot for details of...
  4. system info is blank how to fix it

in Windows 10 Customization
    system info is blank how to fix it: each time when i open my my system it is showing like this i can't see any of the content. what should i do to fix it.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-info-is-blank-how-to-fix-it/1f0bf070-e1fb-4d42-b120-5130aa76d1f6
  5. Tiles and where to copy them..

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tiles and where to copy them..: First of all i have several Tiles on my desktop ,and where do I copy them so they show up in the start menu in Windows 10. Also how do I nest tiles and put shortcuts in the last ones? I can't find any info on this! John...
  6. Edge Dev tiles Blank on start menu

Edge Dev tiles Blank on start menu: [ATTACH] i am using: Windows 10 19041.1 Edge 80.0.361.9 (Official build) dev (64-bit) here's the screenshot submitted by /u/pc_v2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh1a0f/edge_dev_tiles_blank_on_start_menu/
  7. Tiles and deleting them all at once

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tiles and deleting them all at once: Is there a way to remove all the tile in the start menu at once, Thank you , JOhn 146615
  8. Update errors and how to fix them

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update errors and how to fix them: How do you fix error 0x80244018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-errors-and-how-to-fix-them/4039b10c-5d1a-4675-a197-d07ec3696e15
  9. Live tiles are not working. How to fix them?

in Windows 10 Support
    Live tiles are not working. How to fix them?: I installed these analog live tile clocks from the Microsoft Store but they don't work. Live tiles in general don't work in my start menu. Maybe I disabled them earlier with a registry tweak or something, I don't remember. [img] 127942
  10. Blank Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank Tiles: Was not this problem fixed yet. [img] Henry 104354