Windows 10: Can I apply a theme without opening the Windows settings?

Discus and support Can I apply a theme without opening the Windows settings? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I currently have a program running the periodically changes my theme on my computer. It executes a theme from the windows resource folder:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mlehman6, Feb 6, 2019.

1. mlehman6 Win User

Can I apply a theme without opening the Windows settings?

I currently have a program running the periodically changes my theme on my computer. It executes a theme from the windows resource folder: C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\MyTheme.theme

This all works well, except for the fact that this opens the Windows Settings program as well. I've seen some hack solutions that execute the theme and then close the Settings program shortly after. I'm looking for a more elegant solution since I might have Settings open on my own and wouldn't want it closed. In the properties of the .theme file it shows that it opens with "Personalization CPL." Is there another program that can apply the theme without opening the Settings?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

mlehman6, Feb 6, 2019
  2. TomJ123 Win User

Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

I seem to be having a problem with opening Windows Themes as instead of the theme applying as soon as I click on the file, it is opening the 'Desktop Icon Settings' instead (see image). I've never had this problem in the past and have only noticed it since trying to download a new theme today.

I'm downloading the Themes from the Microsoft website and have checked that I am downloading compatible themes. The default app for opening the themes is currently set as 'Windows Shell Common Dll'.

Can anybody help as to suggest what's causing this to happen?

Thanks
    Can I apply a theme without opening the Windows settings? [​IMG]

TomJ123, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    I cant add a theme to my Windows 10 PC.

Hi,

Some features that were available in previous operating systems have been improved in the Windows 10 interface. Please provide answers to the questions below so we can determine why you are facing difficulties in adding or setting themes in Windows 10:

• How do you attempt to change the theme on your computer?
    • Do you get any errors when applying themes the usual way?
    • How long have you been using Windows 10?

You can choose your theme for Windows 10 by opening Personalization. Follow these steps to check the suggestion yourself:

• Right-click on an empty space on your desktop.
    • Choose Personalize.
    • Go to Themes.
    • Open Theme settings.
    • Choose what theme you like to set.

Come back if you need further assistance.

Ruz San, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Is there any way to change the system theme between light and dark in Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for choosing windows 10.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

To Choose a Theme in Personalization

• Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Personalize
    • Click/tap on Themes on the left side, click/tap on the Go to theme settings link under "Themes" on the right side, and close Settings,
    • Click/tap on a theme you want to choose.
    To Choose a High Contrast Theme in Settings app

• Open
      Settings
      , and do
      step 2
      or
      step 3
      below for how you would like to open High contrast settings.
    • Click/tap on the Personalization icon, click/tap on Colors on the left side, click/tap on go to high contrast color settings link at the bottom of the right side.
    • Click/tap on the Ease of Access icon
    • Click/tap on High contrast on the left side, and choose a high contrast theme you want in the drop down menu on the right side.
    • Make any
      color
      changes you would like, and click/tap on Apply
    • When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I apply a theme without opening the Windows settings? - Similar Threads - apply theme without

2. When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?: Whenever I open Settings -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing. Can anyone navigate me on how I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-open-setting-personalisation-themes-no/0ca94fff-ee6e-4264-9dc0-80253b2254b1
  3. When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I open Setting -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing?: Whenever I open Settings -> Personalisation -> Themes no themes are appearing. Can anyone navigate me on how I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-open-setting-personalisation-themes-no/0ca94fff-ee6e-4264-9dc0-80253b2254b1
  4. Applying Themes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applying Themes Windows 10: I have downloaded several themes but when I click "Apply" on the theme nothing happens. No ideawhat I am doing wrong since it used to work fine. All my Windows updates are up-to-date...
  5. Windows 10 Theme not installing or applying.

Windows 10 Theme not installing or applying.: This is the theme. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/earth-from-above-premium/9pflgjn5pj7d?activetab=pivot:overviewtab# Windows Version 1903 Build 18362.836 Tried wsreset, logged out of store to try to re-acquire the theme. Found that it had attempted to download the...
  6. How to set themes without activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set themes without activation: Currently, I have searched the web that how to set themes for un-activated windows... None of them worked, solutions would be greatly appreciated. P.S: There is some problem with windows and it was not being activated, I called support and they said that I have to buy a new...
  7. Apply a theme through SCCM

Apply a theme through SCCM: Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so apologies if it is not. I have a unique situation where certain computers in my environment need a particular desktop wallpaper applied to them with a certain color background. I created a theme that would do both, but I...
  8. Can I apply a desktop theme without having it stomp all over my Visual Studio color settings?

Can I apply a desktop theme without having it stomp all over my Visual Studio color settings?: I was trying to get a darker desktop using a high contrast theme, and I seemed to have a good configuration, but when I opened up Visual Studio I found that the theme had stomped all over my VS colors. The same foreground text color had been applied to almost every text...
  9. Theme settings not opening with UXstyle installed

Theme settings not opening with UXstyle installed: I recently installed a new windows 10 update, after updating I reinstalled uxstyle and theme patcher, unfortunately when I go to settings > personalization > themes, settings crashes! Is there a solution or will I have to wait for an update? 86437
  10. Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings'

Windows Themes opens 'Desktop Icon Settings': I seem to be having a problem with opening Windows Themes as instead of the theme applying as soon as I click on the file, it is opening the 'Desktop Icon Settings' instead (see image). I've never had this problem in the past and have only noticed it since trying to download...