Windows 10: Change Accent Color in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Accent Color in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Accent Color in Windows 10 How to Change Accent Color of Start Menu, Taskbar, Action Center, and Title bars in Windows 10 Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Accent Color in Windows 10

How to: Change Accent Color in Windows 10

How to Change Accent Color of Start Menu, Taskbar, Action Center, and Title bars in Windows 10

Windows 10 has a new black system theme across the Start menu, Taskbar, and Action Center. There is now support for AutoColor which pulls the primary color from your desktop background.

This tutorial will show you how to change the accent color for the Start menu, Start button, taskbar, title bars (build 10525), window borders, buttons, text, Settings, sign-in screen, and action center to any color you want in Windows 10.

Window borders are only 1 pixel wide, so they don't show your selected color very well. If you like, you can use the tutorial below to have wider window borders.

How to Use Aerolite Theme for Window Borders and Title Bars Color in Windows 10

User color settings for windows are saved in the keys located below in Reigstry Editor (regedit).

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors

The Start menu color for a user is stored in the StartColorMenu and AccentColorMenu DWORDs in the key located below in Registry Editor.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Accent

You will need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.

Folders in File Explorer will automatically refresh when you have both Desktop Slideshow turned on.

When both these options are turned on, the shell sends a refresh message to all File Explorer windows every time the wallpaper changes for the slideshow, causing folders to refresh the views. This can be an annoying issue. For example, if you're scrolling in a folder to only have the scroll bar refresh back to the top after a refresh.

EXAMPLE: Accent color for title bars, taskbar, windows borders, Start menu, and on sign-in screen

Change Accent Color in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1 Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Personalization.

2 Open step 4 below.

3 Right click or press and hold on your desktop, click/tap on Personalize, and go to step 4 below.

4 Do step 5 (choose color), step 6 (auto color), or step 7 (high contrast) below depending on what you would like to do and what theme you are using.

5. To Choose a Color if using a Windows Default Theme
    A) Click/tap on Colors on the left side. (see screenshots below)

B) Uncheck Automatically pick an accent color from my background on the right side.

C) Click/tap on a recent color, Windows color, or a Custom color you want to choose.

D) Under Show accent color on the following surfaces, check or uncheck Start, taskbar, and action center for what you want.

If you selected to use Light for Choose your color or Choose your default Windows mode, then the Start, taskbar, and action center setting will be grayed out.

E) Under Show accent color on the following surfaces, check or uncheck Title bars for what you want.

F) When finished, go to step 8 below.

6. To Let Windows Automatically Pick a Color from your Background if using a Windows Default Theme
    This setting is stored using the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

AutoColorization DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

A) Click/tap on Colors on the left side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check Automatically pick an accent color from my background on the right side.

C) Under Show accent color on the following surfaces, check or uncheck Start, taskbar, and action center for what you want.

D) Under Show accent color on the following surfaces, check or uncheck Title bars for what you want.

E) When finished, go to step 8 below.

7. To Choose a Color if High Contrast is Turned On
    A) Click/tap on Colors on the left side, and click/tap on the High contrast settings link at the bottom of the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the color box of an item you want to change based on the currently selected high contrast theme. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on a color you want to choose for the item. (see screenshot below)

D) Repeat steps 7B and 7C for any other high contrast items you want to change the color of.

E) When finished changing colors for items, click/tap on the Apply button. (see screenshot below)

F) Type a name you want for this new custom high contrast theme, and click/tap on Save. (see screenshot below)

G) This new custom high contrast theme will now be saved to be able to choose. Go to step 8 below.(see screenshot below)

8 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 11, 2015

2. accent color

The accent color (primarily the red shades) are missing in window 10 and do not know why. Any suggestion how to get the original window 10 accent colors back? Thank you.

MartyHariri, Oct 26, 2019
  3. accent color

I have all the colors listed above. The shade of red is missing from above accent colors and is also missing from mine. I used to have the shade of red and like to get it back. I like to know how to update the driver of accent color in window 10.
    ty

MartyHariri, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Accent Color in Windows 10

About Accent Color

Hello Sir,

I have Windows 8 Genuine version. In this august i have a update of windows 10, through reservation and i upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10. All features are best compare with 8 or 7. but here in my windows 10 some problem. Problem is like not to change accent
    color from my background. I had try to graphics , updates of windows, etc all are done. but there is no change with accent color. I think, this is windows bug file software. so what should i do? for change color in accent backgound? Can i update windows 10
    from your site (Download Windows 10) ? over my windows 10? give me suggestion what should i do?

JaivikMehta, Oct 26, 2019
  5. LeoWill Win User
    Windows 10 Background Slideshow Accent Color Doesn't Work!

This is a similar if not exactly the same issue. The RTM version of Windows 10 had no issues related to automatic color accents. It all started for me when I just now upgraded to the Fall Update version 1511. I have included specs of my laptop in the bottom
    along with graphics driver version, and others should follow suite.

The accent color changes to default blue under two independent conditions:

1) When the slideshow changes images, it reverts to the default blue accent color.

2) When the Personalization settings is opened. (see next paragraph)

I open the Personalization settings by right clicking on the desktop.

Then the following happens in quick succession, without user input:

1) The preview window shows the correct auto color where it should.

2) The preview window cycles to show the next image.

3) The accent color changes to blue in preview window.

4) The accent color changes for the desktop.

Steps taken to fix:

1) Turn Off/On automatic accent color, resets correct color but end result is same.

2) Turn Off automatic accent color, chose random color (green), turn On, correct auto color, end result is still same.

I have nothing against blue but a shade of orange bests matches my background and its quite annoying.

For trouble shooting, specs of laptop: (I think people should list specs)

Processor: i5-3210M

Graphics: Geforce GTX 660M

Graphics Driver: 361.43 (released 12/21/15)

LeoWill, Oct 26, 2019
  6. LazarKING Win User
    ACCENT COLOR PROBLEM

I have problem with accent color in Windows 10 (10586 build).

When I set multiple images for background or slideshow, accent color on some of the pictures will not change. In an earlier version of Windows 10, the accent color was gray, now blue. To solve this problem,
    I need to reset "explorer" from the Task Manager or switch (off/on) "Automatically pick an accent color from my background" in the Settings. But on change the background image, the problem reappears. I noticed this problem on many computers.

LazarKING, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Change Accent Color in Windows 10

1. Change Accent Color in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Accent Color

2. Accent colors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accent colors: Why, when I set my accent color to sunflower yellow, does my taskbar look dirty green? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accent-colors/5ce2cacf-8186-4a04-869d-ec4772659f6f
  3. Accent color

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accent color: I opened the start menu tonight and almost the entire thing was full of yellow boxes. This is the first time this happened and I want it to go away. After some research I found out that it was called Accent./ I changed it to grey for now but I want it to match my start menu...
  4. Change the accent color of windows 10 without activation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the accent color of windows 10 without activation: I was wondering if there is a way to change the color tiles and button color of your windows without activating windows 10. I know that there is a way to change the taskbar colors using regedit, but is there any way to change the color tiles as well? submitted by...
  5. Accent colors changing

Accent colors changing: I use three PC's on a daily basis. Each has its own keyboard and mouse. Periodically each of the three will change the accent colour of the taskbar without input from me. I find this frustrating because I use colour for each computer set-up - so the accent colour, and...
  6. Cannot change accent color on Windows 10. Stuck at pink accent color!

Cannot change accent color on Windows 10. Stuck at pink accent color!: Hi, on my Windows 10 new PC, the color theme is stuck at a pink accent color. When I go to Settings -> Colors -> Choose your accent color, whenever I check another color, the pink one is still checked and the color does not change. Why is it doing this? I've read other posts...
  7. Accent Color

Accent Color: [ATTACH] Hello guys, actually I'm using UXtheme patcher to apply theme for my windows.. but the problem is, when I change the accent color, the background color of text at titlebar also changed. Can anyone suggest some solutions? Thank you...
  8. Windows 10 Accent Color???

Windows 10 Accent Color???: I remember when I first got my computer and it was Windows 8.1 the Bubbles screensaver had the black background and I remember I was able to type in search Accent and it would have a fly out tab from the side (said accent color) it was different from the other color picker...
  9. Windows 10 Accent Color Won't Change Automatically

Windows 10 Accent Color Won't Change Automatically: So I had this problem since the first time I upgraded to Windows 10. In Personalization> Colors setting there's an option, "Automatically pick an accent color from my background". At first, I thought that settings only change the color to the current background I used....
  10. How to change accent color?

How to change accent color?: Hi Forum I read on the internet that you can add your own custom accent color thru the registry. I did that but it didn't change my accents in the start menu or on the log off screen. I was wondering is there any other way of changing or forcing windows to accept your...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 what is accent color

2. windows accent color

3. applicationframehost crashes when accent color changes

4. change accent color of start menu on windows 10