Windows 10: Cannot get the Join Domain option

Discus and support Cannot get the Join Domain option in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am an administrator and I did expose the hidden Administrator. When I go to Settings | About, I do not get the Join Domain option. Am I missing a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rtcary, Feb 19, 2018.

1. rtcary Win User

Cannot get the Join Domain option

I am an administrator and I did expose the hidden Administrator. When I go to Settings | About, I do not get the Join Domain option.

Am I missing a step?

Many thanks for any help...

Todd

:)

rtcary, Feb 19, 2018

2. Homegroup logic loop

I am trying to join homegroup and not connected to a domain network. this is purely a network within my home, which, as laready stated, was working perfectly well until the update on the machine that originally created the homegroup. This is the machine
    which now tells me that I need to join the workgroup set up on that machine and will not accept the password.

I have looked at the article and there is no option anywhere in homegroup to create, just the option to join. I occasionally get a message telling me that 'homegroup cannot be created on this machine' and this happens after atempting to join and 20 minutes
    of waiting for it to validate the password which was created on the machine telling me to join the homegroup that it cannot join/create. If that makes any sense

annoyedinleeds, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Join domain option missing

Excellent!

LA Shawn Thompson, Feb 19, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do you have Windows 10 Pro?

NavyLCDR, Feb 19, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Have you got a domain on the network?

Samuria, Feb 19, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    It's not in Settings > About.

Only Pro (and above) can join a Domain, in Home the domain settings are either missing or greyed out. If you have Pro, see this tutorial.

*Arrow Join Windows 10 PC to a Domain

7. rtcary Win User
    I am running Windows 10 Pro with Samba implemented on a Red Hat (Centos 7) server. Unfortunately the Centos server had to be reinstalled due to an operator error, however my LAN was working before that and I use to see the Domain name on the Win 10 box (WEB01). Samba is using the same settings as before:

# See smb.conf.example for a more detailed config file or# read the smb.conf manpage.# Run 'testparm' to verify the config is correct after# you modified it.[global] workgroup = WEB01 security = user passdb backend = tdbsam printing = cups printcap name = cups load printers = yes cups options = raw

I cannot find where to verify or setup the WEB01 Domain on the Win 10 computer.

Todd

rtcary, Feb 19, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

At you sure you were using a Domain before? See if setting the Workgroup puts you back where you were.

Change Workgroup in Windows 10

9. rtcary Win User
    I believe you are correct about not being a Domain - I am not running a Domain Controller (like I did a long time ago). So I have managed to tie myself up in a knot with getting the Samba on the Centos 7 set up correctly as well as the Windows 10 Pro. Are there some diagnostics I can run on the Win box that can help me get an idea of what is preventing me from "seeing" the Centos 7? The list is long: security on either the Centos or Windows, improper setup on either and many more.

Cannot get the Join Domain option [​IMG]

Many thanks for you patience...

\rtc

rtcary, Feb 19, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Looks like all you need to do is set the PC to be in the WEB01 Workgroup as described in this tutorial. It's in the WORKGROUP workgroup at present, which is why you don't see the server.

Change Workgroup in Windows 10

11. rtcary Win User
    Still trying to work through it...have the WorkGroup set to WEB01. No doubt some little things, as it always it.

Todd

rtcary, Feb 20, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
  13. rtcary Win User

I checked and the SMB's were already selected, however I checked and unchecked them and when I closed the screen,, Windows did fetch something from the Internet and did a restart. However there is still not a connection.

In an effort to trigger an error, I tried mapping \\centos7\html which I got. Though the Centos 7 gurus have looked at my settings for Samba, I think I'm missing some thing. Here is the error:

My Mac can "see" the Windows 10.

rtcary, Feb 20, 2018
  14. rtcary Win User
    Now I really did something bad! Somehow I changed the permissions for C: drive and now I cannot access it...not even in the Administrator login. Am I permanently locked out? When I saw that the C: drive was accessible by the Mac, I must have incorrectly changed the permissions for NUC\users that effect Admin login's. Damn!

rtcary, Feb 20, 2018
  15. Bree New Member
    You should never really need to change permissions for the root of the C: drive, it shouldn't be available as a share to connect to. For sharing purposes, subfolders are the ones that are shared. Permissions on these can be changed, as needed.

Try to reset the permissions on the root of C:\ back to their standard settings. Note that some of the Authenticated Users permissions are for 'This folder only', while others are for 'Subfolders and files only' (hopefully you haven't changed those and won't need to reset them).

You may need to 'Change Owner' and take ownership to be able to set permissions. If so, it is absolutely essential to change it back to TrustedInstaller as soon as you are done. You'll need to use the full name of TrustedInstaller, which is NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller
    Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

These are the standard permissions, as seen on my C:\ drive...

Thema:

1. Cannot get the Join Domain option - Similar Threads - Cannot Join Domain

2. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts: A laptop recently came to me that had been wiped by a 3rd party repair service. This has reset it from Edu Pro to Home version.I've reimaged it using an Edu Pro ISO from a USB, but I've had to create a temporary personal account to sign in to do so. I'm autopiloting it...
  3. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts: A laptop recently came to me that had been wiped by a 3rd party repair service. This has reset it from Edu Pro to Home version.I've reimaged it using an Edu Pro ISO from a USB, but I've had to create a temporary personal account to sign in to do so. I'm autopiloting it...
  4. Laptop domain-joined to InTune but cannot use domain accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Joining a Domain: I have a new Windows 11 Pro PC...and cannot join my domain. I enter the correct user name and password and domain i even tried domainname.local. It then asks for the computer name and computer domain. I have no idea what the computer domain is. I tried my network domain and...
  6. Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2: Hello Team,My customer have active directory on windows server 2008 R2- His windows server shutdown by electric power off- After Electric on then he start windows active directory on windows server 2008 R2- Normal the active directory - But new client unable to join the...
  7. Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  8. "Join a domain" option missing?

"Join a domain" option missing?: We are moving from a Win7 fleet to Win10 (pro). We have encountered an issue where we are unable to connect to our domain with the new PCs. From what I understand, under Settings>system>about there should be a "join a domain" option. This option does not exist for us, and...
  9. Domain Joining error

Domain Joining error: Hai all I am Sumesh I have a problem for joining to my company domain ,if we trying to join a new win10 PC to domain its showing the below error Our Server is win2008 R2 and this system is win 10 pro 64bit please help me to solve this issu...
  10. cannot join domain on server 2003

cannot join domain on server 2003: Hi all, since Microsoft released 1803 version of Windows 10, I am not able to join domain on SBS 2003 (single label). On June 2018 some updates was released in Win10 1709 and since then it is not possible to connect to domain too. The only solution is clean installation of...