Windows 10: Can't Change Custom Color

Discus and support Can't Change Custom Color in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm attempting to change the custom color, from within the Personalization settings. [img] When I click on the Custom Color link, the dialog for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Geosammy Win User

Can't Change Custom Color

I'm attempting to change the custom color, from within the Personalization settings.

Can't Change Custom Color [​IMG]

When I click on the Custom Color link, the dialog for the Color Picker flashes on screen and quickly closes the entire setting panel. leaving me unable to make any changes. *Sad
    [youtube]Q52Pgu2wDKU[/youtube]

Any ideas as to why this might be occurring?

:)

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017

2. With every newer version of Windows we lose UI customization

Dear Microsoft, why is it that with every new release of Windows since XP, you keep taking UI customization features away?

Windows 10 has NO customization; Changing the color scheme, depending on the color, can make the "All Apps" screen unreadable. No joke, you can't see anything but the icons.

Why can't I set the background and the text color?

Why can't you bring back the interface settings in XP, concerning the windows, borders, scroll bars, foreground and background typefaces, colors, and so on?

And please, whosever idea it was to implement the disappearing toolbars, take them out in the back and shoot them (with a water gun). That is the dumbest feature copied from GNOME 3.

TasPapadopoulos, Dec 28, 2017
  3. JAD-S Win User
    Windows 10 Personalization will not let me change to the custom color

So I wanted to use a custom color and I searched Google, found the discussion with the tutorial for setting the custom color using the registry.

Set a custom RGB color in windows 10 for taskbar and start menu

Firstly, I did not have the custom color box because SpecialColor did not exist in the registry, so that was weird. I had to add it in (and did so exactly as it was shown in the tutorial). I can set the custom color just fine, but unfortunately selecting
    the custom color box instead selects a different color (The standard shade of blue, to be precise). Selecting it again changes the check mark and outline so that the custom color box appears to be selected, but does not change the color and if I go to a different
    setting and go back, blue is still selected. I'm not sure what is causing this, but I did note that the blue it selects is the color of the default Windows theme on Windows 10. Any way to fix this would be appreciated.

JAD-S, Dec 28, 2017
  4. Can't Change Custom Color

Please open a PowerShell window as Administrator. Copy and paste the following line into the PowerShell window and press Enter:

Code: Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}[/quote] This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart and examine your Start menu — you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

You should also repair any corrupted Windows system files. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and execute following commands one at time.

Code: Sfc /Scannow[/quote]
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth[/quote]

FreeBooter, Dec 28, 2017
  5. Geosammy Win User
    This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart and examine your Start menu — you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

You should also repair any corrupted Windows system files. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and execute following commands one at time.

Code: Sfc /Scannow[/quote]
    Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth[/quote] [/quote] I don't think I'm going to go with this suggestion.
    Thanks nonetheless for offering it.

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  6. I understand if you don't want to install default apps but Sfc and Dism commands are use for repairing corrupted Windows system files soon or later you will be asked to run Sfc and Dism commands by other members.

FreeBooter, Dec 28, 2017
  7. Geosammy Win User
    If I run those command-line tools, they'll restore/fix/repair what I've done to disable Cortana.

Thanks, but I'm not doing that just yet.

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Can't Change Custom Color

FreeBooter, Dec 28, 2017
  9. Geosammy Win User
    Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  10. You don't have to install Winaero program it has a portable version.

FreeBooter, Dec 28, 2017
  11. Geosammy Win User
    Yeah, that's okay.
    Thanks anyway.

Perhaps a simple restart will fix this issue?
    Who knows, I haven't tried that yet.

Edit: Restart didn't fix this issue.

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You could try re-registering Settings:

see
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

and search for Settings to find the relevant Powershell line.

However there's no guarantee that will solve your problem. If not:
    a. Does this happen if you create a new user for test purposes?
    This is a significant test- if it doesn't work then, it's probably some form of Windows corruption, rather than specific to your user configuration, in which case if you wish to fix it, you'll need to do some form of Windows repair.
    b. Does this happen in Safe Mode?

How did you disable Cortana?
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

I don't use it, but don't find the need to disable it.

dalchina, Dec 28, 2017
  13. Geosammy Win User

I disabled Cortana, by changing the name of the folder "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy".
    Haven't created a new user yet.
    I'll check to see what happens in Safe Mode.

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  14. Geosammy Win User
    The same thing happens in Safe Mode.
    I created another account, but I've been going in circles, with the stupid password for the newly created account and can't sing in.
    I've created about 5 different passwords for this new account, but every time I type it in, windows says it's incorrect. *Mad

This is what I get with PowerShell, when trying to get the Settings app.

Can't Change Custom Color [​IMG]

Geosammy, Dec 28, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Ah, you didn't follow the instructions at the start of the section.

To Re-register a Specific App for Current Account
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below for the Windows app you want to reset into the command prompt, and press Enter. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

- suggests it's not a 3rd party prog interfering.

dalchina, Dec 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't Change Custom Color - Similar Threads - Can't Change Custom

2. Taskbar color can't change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar color can't change: Hi I'm Gopi from india I'm windows 11 beta home single language user but I windows 10 machine also I can't unable to change the taskbar color when I was change the color the color would remain for only 2 sec and the color automatically change to black background and I found...
  3. Can't change taskbar color

Can't change taskbar color: [ATTACH] My laptop came today so I didn't make any changes to windows, it just came like this. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-taskbar-color/ce57ebd8-8955-4796-ac27-f8bf24e602d1
  4. Can't change taskbar color

Can't change taskbar color: [img] I just cold reinstalled 1903 18362.175 from USB via Media Creation Tool because of insufferable errors in the version I had upgraded to. For the foreseeable future I'll be reinstalling programs and trying to tame the interface. The taskbar, which I had a nice dark...
  5. I can't put custom colors, like light colors.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't put custom colors, like light colors.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/0jadide0 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dzkp0h/i_cant_put_custom_colors_like_light_colors/
  6. Can't change taskbar color

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't change taskbar color: [img] I just cold reinstalled 1903 18362.175 from USB via Media Creation Tool because of insufferable errors in the version I had upgraded to. For the foreseeable future I'll be reinstalling programs and trying to tame the interface. The taskbar, which I had a nice dark...
  7. Custom color filters

Custom color filters: I have been using the Windows 10 native "Invert" color filter at work so that I can read white text against a black background. The unfortunately consequence of this is that all the colors are inverted as well. (eg blue becomes orange, green becomes purple, etc) I am...
  8. Custom Color

Custom Color: If I try to use "Settings > Personalization > Colors > Custom Color", the color dialog opens and then the Settings window closes after a few seconds. I have tried this in high contrast and it does the same thing. Windows 10 1803. 122111
  9. Taskbar color customization

Taskbar color customization: Hi, Taskbar color choices are extremely limited in W10, very difficult to read tabs. What is wrong with MS.....? I tried run<"control color">, but it was useless as well. Is there any external tools that will allow me to customize taskbar color independently from...
  10. Custom Colors

Custom Colors: Add up to 8 Custom Colors in Settings/Personalization/Colors with this Registry Script. [img] Copy the Code and Paste into Notepad and save as Accents.reg file Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00...