Windows 10: Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

Discus and support Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows How to Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by kongming, Jun 15, 2016.

1. kongming Win User

Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

How to: Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

How to Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

The translucent selection rectangle is the box you see when you left click and hold, and then drag the pointer over items to select them when you release the left click.

The border of the selection rectangle is a solid color.

Inside the selection rectangle is a translucent version of the set color.

If you like, you can change the border color and/or inside color to the same color or different colors of your choice.

This tutorial will show you how to change the color of the translucent selection rectangle for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: How to Get RGB Decimal Number for a Color
    • Option Two: Change Border Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle
    • Option Three: Change Inside Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle

EXAMPLE: default and black "translucent selection rectangle" colors

Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] How to Get RGB Decimal Number for a Color

*note You would use this option to get the RGB decimal number of a color you want to use in Option Two and Option Three.
    1. Open Paint (mspaint.exe).

2. Click/tap on the Edit Colors button in the ribbon of the Home tab. (see screenshot below)

3. Select and customize the color (ex: "black") to what you want.

*note Color|Solid gives you a preview of what the color you select looks like in its solid form. Remember that the inside color will show as a translucent version of this color instead.

4. Make note of the RGB (Red Green Blue) numbers (ex: "0 0 0") at the bottom right for this color.

5. When finished, you can close Paint if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Border Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

3. In the right pane of the Colors key, double click/tap on the Hilight string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the RGB numbers (ex: "0 0 0") from Option One for the color you want (ex: "black"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default border color RGB is 0 120 215. Notice the space between the RGB numbers.

5. When finished with restart the computer to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] Change Inside Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

3. In the right pane of the Colors key, double click/tap on the HotTrackingColor string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the RGB numbers (ex: "0 0 0") from Option One for the color you want (ex: "black"), and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default inside color RGB is 0 102 204. Notice the space between the RGB numbers.

5. When finished with restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

kongming, Jun 15, 2016
  2. Brink Win User

Still no way to disable "Show Translucent Selection Rectangle"?

Hello risug, Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows :)

You could still use an option in the tutorial below to turn on or off "Show Translucent Selection Rectangle", but it doesn't affect it in File Explorer.

*Arrow Show Translucent Selection Rectangle - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Selection Rectangle Wierdness

Hi Parker,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per description I understand that you have an issue in setting Performance options on Windows 10.

I would like to inform that when you choose “Let Windows choose what's best for my computer” option as the name says, the system will only choose the default settings on to your computer.

Either you select “Show translucent selection rectangle” option or not does not make any changes.

I suggest you to choose only “Show translucent selection rectangle” and not “Let Windows choose what's best for my computer option”.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for any further queries on Windows Operating System.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

Laggy translucent selection rectangle at 4K resolution

Hello, I would like to report an issue with the blue selection rectangle - it lags terribly on 4K resolution desktop when selecting a large area. I believe this is a consequence of some coding error since this issue occurs only on Windows (even on fresh,
    clean installed) - if I boot ubuntu 16.04 on the very same PC rig and screen, I dont experience any lag at all at Ubuntu's translucent selection rectangle therefore I believe that this issue can be easily fixed. Thank you for support.

davidkohout, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. johneric Win User
    Translucent focus rectangle when hovering over selections

Whenever I point the mouse over something, be it desktop icons, mozilla buttons etc, I get this translucent focus. How do I get rid of it?

johneric, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows

1. Change Color of Translucent Selection Rectangle in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Color Translucent

2. Why my selection box is translucent ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my selection box is translucent ?: Everytime i have to go to settings and fix it from the adjust the appearance and performance of windows, the thing is it always get messed up even if the box is checked, i deleted windows and reinstalled windows again because of it and it still hunts me :c, please any help so...
  3. Why my selection box is translucent ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why my selection box is translucent ?: Everytime i have to go to settings and fix it from the adjust the appearance and performance of windows, the thing is it always get messed up even if the box is checked, i deleted windows and reinstalled windows again because of it and it still hunts me :c, please any help so...
  4. Is it possible to change this selection color?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change this selection color?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/cbi5e5el2vy41.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=cdf8a3f011cae3b09365ae6ccba3066262c7d8b4 submitted by /u/Baunilha11 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gk2v7b/is_it_possible_to_change_this_selection_color/
  5. Translucent Selection Rectangle

in Windows 10 Customization
    Translucent Selection Rectangle: When I do this: system->advanced system settings->performance settings->un-check "show translucent selection rectangle" My desktop shortcuts still show a "translucent selection rectangle". How can I stop getting a "translucent selection rectangle" when my pointer is over...
  6. Hide or show translucent selection rectangle in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Hide or show translucent selection rectangle in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you select an area on your Windows desktop, the space gets highlighted with a semi-transparent blue color. On other occasions, the Desktop appears, completely transparent with a dotted outline marking its borders. In this post, we will show you [...]...
  7. How to change translucent Selection Box Rectangle color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change translucent Selection Box Rectangle color in Windows 10: [ATTACH] The rectangular translucent box that appears when you left click, and drag it around items is called the Selection box. It allows you to drag, and select multiple items on the desktop or any folder. The default color or the box, [...] This post How to change...
  8. Translucent focus rectangle when hovering over selections

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Translucent focus rectangle when hovering over selections: Whenever I point the mouse over something, be it desktop icons, mozilla buttons etc, I get this translucent focus. How do I get rid of it? [img] 44252
  9. Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows How to Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows The translucent selection rectangle is the box you see when you left click and hold, and then drag the pointer over...
  10. Still no way to disable "Show Translucent Selection Rectangle"?

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no way to disable "Show Translucent Selection Rectangle"?: Just to note, it only works on the desktop. *Sad