Windows 10: Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 When you highlight text in classic Win32... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

How to: Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

How to Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

When you highlight text in classic Win32 system windows and dialogs in Windows 10, the text color will be white by default.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default color of text when highlighted for your account in Windows 10.

*note The highlighted text color you set will only be applied to your current theme. If you saved for the selected theme.

EXAMPLE: Highlighted text color when changed to "red"

*note These are the system windows and dialogs I found the highlighted text color change in so far. Please feel free to post a screenshot here of other windows you notice the highlighted text color change in.

Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

3. In the right pane of the Colors key, double click/tap on the HilightText string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Enter the 3 Red Green Blue (ex: 255 0 0) numbers (see tip box below) for the color (ex: red) you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default RGB value is 255 255 255 for the color white.

Tip To find out the Red Green Blue (RGB) numbers for the custom color you want:

A) Open Paint (mspaint.exe).

B) Click/tap on the Edit colors button in the Home tab.

C) Select a color, and adjust the color to what you want.

D) The Red Green Blue numbers for the color will be at the bottom right corner of the Edit Colors dialog.

E) When finished, you can close Edit Colors and Paint.

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. sign in to apply.

7. You may need to repeat this tutorial until you find a highlighted text color that looks good to you.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 25, 2018

2. How to change the highlight color properly / permanently?

Hi folks.

I'm trying to change the highlight color Win10 is using to highlight text and other objects.

As far as I could figure it out, the default value is (r0 g120 b215), the "standard Win10 blue", which is stored in the registry here:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\Hilight

Editing this key can be done manually or by using third party tools (e.g. "Classic Color Panel" from WinTools), changes take effect after restarting the Windows explorer - so far so good.

Now comes the strange part: The old/default color comes back after a user is logged off and on again, or after the system was hibernated. After rebooting the modified color is there again.

This problem occurs/occurred so far in all version (build 1507 to 1709) and editions (home and pro).

Any suggestions how to change the highlight color properly (and permanently)?

Greets,

Alucard

Alucard van Blood, Oct 27, 2019
  3. GSquadron Win User
    How to change Windows 7 highlight color

I was wondering if there is a way to change windows 7 highlight color

GSquadron, Oct 27, 2019
  4. DRDNA Win User

DRDNA, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Changing Text Color

I am using the Paint software that came with my WIndows 10 os. I am not able to change the color of the text I put on a picture. It is on a dark background, so I would like like to make the text white. How can I do this?

I have tried all of the regular steps, highlighting the text and selecting white from both the text palate and the text color shortcuts, "color 1 and color 2" that appear in the tools section. Neither works.

Please help.

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

LStevens787, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Cliff S Win User
    Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

Are you talking about doing this, but with gray and not red?

1. Open up Notepad
    2. copy the registry settings in the code box(left click 3 times slowly)
    3. Paste into NotePad
    4. You will need to find the RGB values(if the ones I have supplied are not what you want) for the color you want, and change them.
    5. Create a registry file by saving(to Desktop or Documents) as TextColor.reg
    6. Double click the reg file.
    7. Sign out, sign in and your finished.
    8. To change the values just right click the file and choose edit, make the changes, save, close and see point #6

Code:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors] "Hilight"="192 192 192" "MenuHilight"="192 192 192"
    Light Gray RGB=192 192 192
    Darker Gray RGB= 105 105 105

Here is the reg file in case you have problems doing it yourself, using light gray: GrayHighlights.zip

Just download. Right click open Properties. Check unblock. Click OK. Extract(unzip) to where ever you want. Double click the Icon. Sign out and back in. Highlight something *Biggrin

Cliff S, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Highlighted Text

2. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  3. Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Color of Selected Text Highlighter in Windows 11 Not Cursor or Text Itself: I am in Dark Mode. Windows 11. I want to make the Selected Text Highlighter black again. Like older versions of Windows. I am not talking about changing the color of the text itself. I am not talking about changing the color of the curser. I am talking about changing the...
  4. How to change the Background Color of selected or highlighted Text in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Background Color of selected or highlighted Text in Windows 10: Have you ever wanted to change the highlight color to another color whenever you highlight a selected text? Usually, a person would change background colors because they would find the default colors boring or bland and want a unique or grand color to be displayed. This...
  5. How do I change the background color of highlighted/selected text in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I change the background color of highlighted/selected text in Windows 10?: I found a way to change the text color, but never the blue background color. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-background-color-of/9297e5cf-dc7d-4cd4-9c8b-b8764d0848ad
  6. Right click text highlight menu color

Right click text highlight menu color: Hi, With the new windows update, The highlighted box color is grey as you can see in the example below when I hover over "Refresh". Is there a way to change that to blue ? I dont want to change the theme . [ATTACH] Thank you...
  7. Text changing color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text changing color: [ATTACH] Does anyone know how to fix this? I got my Windows 10 laptop on Christmas and this issue started happening shortly after, where the text randomly turns green, purple, or pink. It stopped happening and recently started again. I've not messed with the graphics...
  8. Change Window Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Window Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Window Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Window Text Color in Windows 10 The window text color is black by default in Windows 10. These windows include various classic Win32 system windows and dialogs such as File Explorer, Local Group Policy Editor,...
  9. Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields

Would like to change the text highlight color in text-entry fields: For instance, if I highlight a word in a text-entry field, it's a very bright blue. This is also true in Firefox, Thunderbird, Word, OneNote, various fora, etc. but not in Excel. Prior to installing Windows 10, the highlight in a text-entry field was either pale grey (on...
  10. Hover text color suddenly highlighted in gray? Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Hover text color suddenly highlighted in gray? Windows 10 pro: Hello, I'm having an issue where my hover-text and tool tips are suddenly highlighted in gray. I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.693. Here are screen shots to demonstrate. [img] [img] As you can see, this happens when I hover on anything that...