Windows 10: Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Change Icon of a Shortcut in Windows 10 A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by boweasel, Jan 3, 2017.

1. boweasel Win User

Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Change Icon of a Shortcut in Windows 10

A shortcut is a link to an item (such as a file, folder, or app) on your PC. You can create shortcuts and then place them in a convenient location, such as on the desktop, so that you can easily access the item that the shortcut links to. Shortcuts can be distinguished from the original file by the arrow that appears overlayed on the icon.

This tutorial will show you how to change the icon of a LNK or URL shortcut in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Right click or press and hold on the .lnk or .url shortcut file, and click/tap on Properties.

2. Click/tap on either the Shortcut tab for a .lnk file or the Web Document tab for a .url shortcut, and click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshots below)

Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Browse, navigate to and select the .ico, .icl, .exe, or .dll file that contains the icon you want to use, click/tap on Open, select the icon, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note Most of the default icons used by Windows 10, are located in the files below.
    • C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
    • C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

4. Click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshots below step 2)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

boweasel, Jan 3, 2017
  2. Bruce Hagen, Jan 3, 2017
  3. LeapingL Win User
    How to change the icon of a shortcut in Windows 10?

I still cannot select the "Change Icon" button under the properties tab. It is "greyed out" and won't let me choose it. Any suggestions?

LeapingL, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 3, 2017
  5. boweasel Win User
    Thanks for your reply Shawn. Before I read your response I was busy doing some non-tenforums solution searching and I ran across someone who posted that their icon cache needed to be rebuilt since it had become corrupted. That poster was also getting the blue globes as his IE desktop shortcuts.

I saw no earthly reason why the icon cache would have become 'corrupted' in a brand new laptop, but it triggered a memory about something I'd read in another tenforums tutorial. Sure enough, here is another of your splendid tutorials -
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html. I used Option One - To Rebuild the Icon Cache using a BAT file. Downloaded it, ran it, and the icon for my wife's AOL Webmail went back to what it was when I first created it. You mention in your other tutorial (the one you supplied a link for) that those icons are stored in the folder C:\Users\User-Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. I assume that they would be in the same location on a W10 computer? I can't really check here, since the wife is busy catching up on all the 'wonderful' (cough) information she'd missed on Facebook.

boweasel, Jan 4, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. *Smile

That's the correct location for Internet Explorer for the icon. However, you can use any icon (.ico) file you like, say from Google.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Icon of Shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Icon Shortcut

2. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  3. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not change a shortcut's icon: I am trying to change a shortcut's icon to an icon from a .dll in a linked drive. I can view the icons, from the .dll, in the icon menu but when I select an icon and apply it I get the default icon, the Dog-eared sheet of paper, instead of my custom logo. However, if I have...
  4. Can not change a shortcut's icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't change shortcut icon

Can't change shortcut icon: I keep a shortcut for File Explorer on my desktop. Until the last Win10 update last week, it displayed the icon I selected for it under Properties, Change Icon. Now it displays a blank icon on the desktop, and won't display the one I choose for it, even thought the Properties...
  6. Changed shortcut icon.

Changed shortcut icon.: Hello, I have just had a strange experience with my desktop icons. All my dektop shortcuts had their little arrow icon changed into a black character with a waving hand on a white background. It covered most of the icon behind it. However after I reset Windows Explorer, the...
  7. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  8. Changing a Shortcut Icon

Changing a Shortcut Icon: I'd like to change the icon of a Google docs shortcut from the standard Microsoft Edge logo to the actual Google docs logo. Is this possible, as if so how do I do this? Thank you...
  9. Shortcut icons change

Shortcut icons change: My PC has crashed on reboot. I had to turn it off by pressing and holding the power button. Then I turned on my PC but the shortcut icons have changed. They have an arrow now. But my computer is working without any other problems...
  10. Shortcut icons keep changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut icons keep changing: Shortcuts used to be indicated by a fairly unobtrusive arrow in the corner. A few days ago they changed to an overly visible white arrow in a green circle in the lower middle of the program icon. Then they changed to a gray X in the corner. Now they're back to the arrow in...