Windows 10: Rename Folder in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename Folder in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename Folder in Windows 10 How to Rename Folder in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a folder in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 8, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Rename Folder in Windows 10

How to: Rename Folder in Windows 10

How to Rename Folder in Windows 10

This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a folder in Windows 10.

*note If a folder is currently in use, for example by a program, Windows will not allow you to rename it.

*note If you rename more than one folder at the same time, the new name for each folder will be new folder name, new folder name (1), new folder name (2), etc...

*note When you rename a folder in Windows, the name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |

Rename Folder in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Rename Folder using Keyboard Shortcut
    1. While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), select the folder(s) you want to rename. (see screenshot below)

2. Press the F2 key.

3. Type a new name for the folder(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area.

OPTION TWO [/i] Rename Folder from File Explorer Ribbon
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Navigate to and select the folder(s) you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Home tab, and click/tap on the Rename button in the ribbon.

4. Type a new name for the folder(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Rename Folder from Context Menu
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Navigate to and select the folder(s) you want to rename.

3. Perform the action you want to do below: (see screenshot below)
    A) Right click or press and hold on the selected folder(s), and either press the M key or click/tap on Rename.

OR

B) Press and hold Shift key and right click on the selected folder(s), release the Shift key, and either press the M key or click/tap on Rename.

4. Type a new name for the folder(s), and press Enter or click/tap on another area. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] Rename Folder from Properties
    1. While on your desktop (Win+D) or in File Explorer (Win+E), navigate to the folder you want to rename.

2. Right click or press and hold on the folder you want to rename, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type a new name in the top field, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Rename Folder in PowerShell
    *note For more Rename-Item command usage details, see: Rename-Item | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open elevated PowerShell depending on the required rights to rename the folder you want.

2. Type the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Rename-Item -Path "Full path of folder" -NewName "New Name" -Force

*note Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder you want to rename.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name you want to rename the folder with.

For example: Rename-Item -Path "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder" -NewName "Folder new name" -Force

3. When finished, you can close the Powershell window if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] Rename Folder in Command Prompt
    *note For more ren command usage details, see: ren | Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a elevated command prompt depending on the required rights to rename the folder you want.

2. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow ren "Full path of folder" "New Name"

*note Substitute Full path of folder in the command above with the actual full path of the folder you want to rename.

Substitute New Name in the command above with the actual new name you want to rename the folder with.

For example: ren "C:\Users\Brink\Desktop\Folder" "Folder new name"

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 8, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Rename Folder in Windows 10

Can't rename folder.

Hi Howard,

It is possible that the difficulty renaming your folder is due to access/account limitation or a recent change was made on your computer. For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Are you getting an error message when trying to rename the folder?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the "Public" folders?

We will be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Rename folders

Hi,

Failure to rename folders on your device may indicate a corrupted components preventing the renaming process to work properly. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Which update have you recently done on your device?
    • Which Windows build version is running on your device? Type winver
      in the search box and press Enter to help you identify.

In addition, we suggest that you replicate the concern while you're in the clean boot environment. To do this, follow the steps provided on this

support article
    and check if the issue persists. If not, proceed to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot
    topic to identify the error.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Rename Folder in Windows 10

1. Rename Folder in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename Folder

2. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?: Windows 10Intel Core i5 3.30GHz4GB ram64-bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-when-you-cant-delete-move-or-rename/d7089418-dc61-4cf1-969e-64ad662340c9
  3. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?: Windows 10Intel Core i5 3.30GHz4GB ram64-bit operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-fix-when-you-cant-delete-move-or-rename/d7089418-dc61-4cf1-969e-64ad662340c9
  4. How do you fix when you can't delete, move or rename files and folders in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders: You go into a folder, look at what is in it the folder and realize it should be called something else. So you close the files you were looking at and try to fix the folder's name, but Windows gives an error message saying you can't do that because something in the folder is...
  6. Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders

Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders: You go into a folder, look at what is in it the folder and realize it should be called something else. So you close the files you were looking at and try to fix the folder's name, but Windows gives an error message saying you can't do that because something in the folder is...
  7. Can't rename user folder after i changed my username on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't rename user folder after i changed my username on windows 10: So, basically, i just changed my username on my windows 10 PC because the old one contained a space in it and i guessed that i would have issues related to scripts relating that folder, and when i changed my username, the user folder was still the same, and it won't let me...
  8. Can't rename user folder after i changed my username on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't rename user folder after i changed my username on windows 10: So, basically, i just changed my username on my windows 10 PC because the old one contained a space in it and i guessed that i would have issues related to scripts relating that folder, and when i changed my username, the user folder was still the same, and it won't let me...
  9. Can't rename user folder after i changed my username on windows 10

10. Cursor flickering when renaming file/folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor flickering when renaming file/folder: This has been happening for at least a month and a half now, in which renaming files or folders while the cursor is on file explorer or the desktop causes it to flicker and sometimes straight-up vanish until I move the mouse. While it's not too annoying, I can only find one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 update renamed user .000