Windows 10: Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

Discus and support Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 How to Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 Secure Boot is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by f14tomcat, May 25, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

How to: Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

How to Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10

Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC manufacturer. Support for Secure Boot was introduced in Windows 8, and also supported by Windows 10.

When the PC starts, the firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including firmware drivers (Option ROMs), EFI applications, and the operating system. If the signatures are good, the PC boots, and the firmware gives control to the operating system.

Secure Boot prevents a sophisticated and dangerous type of malwarecalled a rootkitfrom loading when you start your device. Rootkits use the same privileges as the operating system and start before it, which means they can completely hide themselves. Rootkits are often part of an entire suite of malware that can bypass local logins, record passwords and keystrokes, transfer private files, and capture cryptographic data.

For more information about Secure Boot, see:
    This tutorial will show you how to check if Secure Boot is currently enabled, disabled, or unsupported in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows Security
    • Option Two: To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in System Information
    • Option Three: To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows Security
    1. Open Windows Security, and click/tap on the Device security icon. (see screenshot below)

Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Under Secure boot (if supported), look to see if it Secure boot is on or Secure boot is off. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Windows Security if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in System Information
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type msinfo32 into Run, and click/tap on OK to open System Information.

2. In the right pane of System Summary in System Information, see if the Secure Boot State item has a value of On, Off, or Unsupported. (see screenshots below)

[table][tr][td]Value[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]On[/td] [td]PC supports Secure Boot and Secure Boot is currently enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Off[/td] [td]PC supports Secure Boot and Secure Boot is currently disabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Unsupported[/td] [td]PC does not support Secure Boot or Windows is installed with legacy BIOS.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

OPTION THREE [/i] To Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Confirm-SecureBootUEFI
    3. You will now know if Secure Boot is currently enabled, disabled, or unsupported based on what this cmdlet returns. (see screenshots below)

[table][tr][td]Cmdlet Return[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]True[/td] [td]PC supports Secure Boot and Secure Boot is currently enabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]False[/td] [td]PC supports Secure Boot and Secure Boot is currently disabled[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]"Cmdlet not supported on this platform" error[/td] [td]PC does not support Secure Boot or Windows is installed with legacy BIOS.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

f14tomcat, May 25, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 25, 2017
  3. Dual Boot Issue

Hi I just checked my bios settings and booted back into windows 10 witch was a lot faster.

It only seems to take 3 minutes to load windows 10 after using windows 8.1

Here are my current bios settings...

Boot options.

secure boot control - disabled

load legacy oprom - enabled

keyboard errors - report

usb boot support - enabled

boot menu security - disabled

boot mode - UEFI (the other option is Legacy)

OllyBongo1, May 25, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Dick, *Smile

Correct. It will depend on the firmware, so it can vary a bit for each manufacturer.

Brink, May 25, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. I'll bet that's not a widely known thing. Confirms my thoughts. Very interesting.........

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Check if Secure Boot is Enabled or Disabled in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Check Secure Boot

2. Secure Boot enabled, but getting "Invalid signature detected check secure boot policy on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Secure Boot enabled, but getting "Invalid signature detected check secure boot policy on...: on startup getting "Invalid signature detected check secure boot policy on startup" but Secure Boot is enabled.How do I get rid of this message?...
  3. Secure boot status is disabled even though secure boot support in enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secure boot status is disabled even though secure boot support in enabled: I have went into the BIOS and reset settings, it turned the secure boot support to enabled, but in the information screen secure boot status is still shown as disabled after i saved and exited. The secure boot state in systems is also shown as 'off' even though when i went to...
  4. Secure boot status is disabled even though secure boot support in enabled

Secure boot status is disabled even though secure boot support in enabled: I have went into the BIOS and reset settings, it turned the secure boot support to enabled, but in the information screen secure boot status is still shown as disabled after i saved and exited. The secure boot state in systems is also shown as 'off' even though when i went to...
  5. "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 are both enabled; PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled

"Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 are both enabled; PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled: I am running Windows 10 v. 21H1 on ASRock X370 Extreme 4 motherboard with IntelR CoreTM i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz processor. I have enabled "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 and wish to install Windows 11. PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled and Windows Update says...
  6. "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 are both enabled; PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 are both enabled; PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled: I am running Windows 10 v. 21H1 on ASRock X370 Extreme 4 motherboard with IntelR CoreTM i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz processor. I have enabled "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 and wish to install Windows 11. PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled and Windows Update says...
  7. "Secure Boot" and TPM 2.0 are both enabled; PC Health Check says "Secure Boot" is not enabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Security in Windows 10 The version 1703[/b] and later that makes it is easier for you to view and control the security protections you choose and better understand the security...
  9. Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Check for Windows Updates in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically downloading and installing...
  10. Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC: How to: Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC How to Enable or Disable Secure Boot on Windows 10 PC Secure Boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that your PC boots using only software that is trusted by the PC...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check bios if secure boot is enabled

2. windoes check if secure boot is enabled

3. hcheck if secure boot is enabled or disabled

4. how to check if secure boot is enabled or disabled