Windows 10: Closing my laptop lid

Discus and support Closing my laptop lid in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dove, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dove Win User

Closing my laptop lid

Hello,
    I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and open it later that it would not do that. Just awakes and goes to my desktop. On windows 8 I didn't have any problem with this.
    Thank you for reading this.

:)

2. Lids Not working

Hi everybody,

My laptop lid sensor is not working, When I install Windows 10 my laptop when lid closed my system go to sleep `in closed lid option is do nothing` , I install my laptop drivers and change system unattended sleep timeout and AHCI lid , my laptop stopped
    sleeping action when lid closed !

now when I close lid my screen does not turn off ,in windows 8.1 that turn off and laptop work as well, but in windows 10 I have so many problems by lid and power options!

my laptop is Asus N550jk ,

please help me to solve my problems

thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

mohammaddeljavan, Mar 21, 2017
  3. Kim{16} Win User
    Laptop not locking / going to sleep when charging with Windows 10

Hi everyone,

After upgrading to Windows 10 (from 8.1 where this was not occurring), my laptop (Dell Inspiron) will not lock / go to sleep when I close the lid if it is charging. I want my laptop to require me to enter my password anytime I open it. I had it set
    this way before the upgrade and did not change any power settings until I noticed this problem. I have the option set to "sleep" when I close the lid for if it is on battery or plugged in. I have "require a password" chosen for password protection on wakeup
    option.

So here are the scenarios:

Laptop is not plugged in to power. I close the lid. [computer goes to sleep] Open the lid a few seconds later, wake computer up. Type in password. Desktop appears as before. => Good

Laptop is plugged in and charging. I close the lid. Open the lid. [screen was black when closed] Desktop appears as before. => Bad

Laptop is plugged in and charging. I close the lid. I unplug the laptop from power. Open the lid. [screen was black when closed] Desktop appears as before. => Bad

Does anyone have any options I can try to get my computer to go to sleep anytime I close the lid including when it is charging?

Kim{16}, Mar 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Closing my laptop lid

Brink, Mar 21, 2017
  5. There's a setting somewhere that determines (what happens when I close the lid) (e.g. of your Laptop)

I have mine sent to "sleep" when I close the lid.
    Other settings could be "shut down" or "Hibernate" or "do nothing"

EDIT: Brink beat me to it (and of course gave a better answer) *Cool

Atomcrusher, Mar 21, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I like to have mine hibernate when on battery, do nothing when plugged in. You may need to enable hibernation if you want to use that option. Easy enough from an admin command prompt...
    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

7. I'm just the opposite, I disable hibernation and set lid action to do nothing for both plugged in or unplugged. Different strokes for different folks. *Wink Usually the only time I close my laptops lid is after shutting it down. Occasionally I move from one spot to another and don't want anything to happen. Not a big fan of sleep or hibernate.

alphanumeric, Mar 21, 2017
  8. Dove Win User

Closing my laptop lid

Hello and Thank you for the warm welcomes!
    When I put the " closing the lid option" to do nothing that worked fine, but then my hard drive or fan is not shutting off. Any solutions about that ? I really wish I had wrote down what I did back in the day that made this work. *chuckle

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Closing my laptop lid

1. Closing my laptop lid - Similar Threads - Closing laptop lid

2. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  3. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  4. Apps closing when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Apps closing when laptop lid is closed: I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface and all my open apps force close when the laptop lid has been closed overnight. I've checked all previous solutions posted on this site and nothing works. Very Annoying, can someone help resolve asap? ? It really shouldn't be this...
  5. Close a lid

Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  6. turning on laptop with lid closed

turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  7. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  8. VNC with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  9. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. closing my laptops lid?