Windows 10: Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 How to Change Default Action of Closing Lid in Windows 10 The Power Options lets users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

How to: Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

How to Change Default Action of Closing Lid in Windows 10

The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the laptop (system) lid is closed.

Users can specify one of the following actions to take: do nothing, sleep, hibernate, or shut down.

This tutorial will show you how to change the default action to take when closing the lid of your laptop in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Default Lid Close Action in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Change Default Lid Close Action in Advanced Power Options
    • Option Three: To Change Default Lid Close Action for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Change Default Lid Close Action for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Default Lid Close Action in Power Options
    1. Open Power Options. (see screenshot below)

Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 [​IMG]

2. Click/tap on the Choose what closing the lid does link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. In the When I close the lid drop menus, select the action you want, and click/tap on Save changes. (see screenshot below)

*note You will need to have already enabled hibernate to have the hibernate action available to select.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Default Lid Close Action in Advanced Power Options
    1. Open Advanced Power Options.

2. Expand open Power buttons and lid and Lid close action. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the action you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note You will need to have already enabled hibernate to have the hibernate action available to select.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Default Lid Close Action for Current Power Plan in Command Prompt

*note You will need to have already enabled hibernate to be able to use hibernate as the default lid close action.
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    *note Substitute Index in the command above with the number below for the default action you want set for closing the lid.

[table][tr][td]Index Number[/td] [td]Action[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Do nothing[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Sleep[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Hibernate[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Shut down[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For example:
    Code:
    3. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. You can now close the command prompt if you like.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive SCHEME_CURRENT

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Default Lid Close Action for Specific Power Plan in Command Prompt

*note You will need to have already enabled hibernate to be able to use hibernate as the default lid close action.
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. Make note of the GUID number (ex: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c) of the power plan you want to apply this to. (see screenshot below)

*note The power plan (ex: High performance) with a * to the right of it is your current active power plan scheme.
    *Arrow powercfg /L

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (On battery)
    Code:
    OR

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    *note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

Substitute Index in the command above with the number below for the default action you want set for closing the lid.

[table][tr][td]Index Number[/td] [td]Action[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]0[/td] [td]Do nothing[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]1[/td] [td]Sleep[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]2[/td] [td]Hibernate[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3[/td] [td]Shut down[/td] [/tr] [/table]

For example: Set to "Hibernate" for the High performance power plan GUID (8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c)

Code:

4. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to apply the change. (see screenshot below)

*note This command will set the power plan for the GUID as your restart the computer to apply the changes instead of doing this step.
    *Arrow powercfg -SetActive GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the same GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to apply this to.

For example: powercfg -SetActive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Mar 21, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Closing my laptop lid

Hello Dove, and welcome to Ten Forums. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 :)

You might see if setting the default lid close action to either "Sleep" or "Hibernate" may work better for you.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    All apps close when I close laptop lid - why?

Hello thornbma, and welcome to Ten Forums. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 :)

What do you have your "Lid close action" set to? It sounds like it may be shutting down.

*Arrow Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Double check using the tutorial below to make sure you have Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart turned on.

*Arrow Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10

Laptop keeps restarting after going to sleep (when the lid is closed).

Hi Craig,

It's possible that your lid close action is configured to shut down your computer. To make sure your settings are properly configured, you can refer to the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start menu, then choose Control
      Panel.
    • Change the View by: option on the upper-right-part of the screen to Small icons.
    • Choose Power Options.
    • Select your power plan (e.g. High Performance), then choose Change plan settings.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Go to Sleep settings, then disable hybrid sleep.
    • Under Power Buttons and Lid, check if
      Sleep is chosen as action when lid is close.
    • Hit Apply and OK.

If the lid close action is set to Sleep, we suggest checking if your drivers are up-to-date. When it comes to sleep mode issues, the driver related are network, chipset, and BIOS drivers. To update your drivers, you can refer to this

link

We look forward to your response.

Angela Pun, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 26, 2019
  6. KomouPoji Win User
    "Only show 2" defaults to "Duplicate these displays" upon closing and reopening laptop lid

Hi,

I would suggest to try the following steps and check if it helps

• Press the Win Key + X to display the
      system menu.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Power Options.

• On theleft side menu, select the Choose what closing the lid does option.

• Look in the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section.

• Use the drop down menus in the
      When I close the lid section and select Do Nothing for both options.

I hope the information is helpful and if the error still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Lid Close Default Action in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Lid Close

2. Lid Close Action

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lid Close Action: Windows 11 on an HP Envy computer. Cannot find, "Lid close action," which should be under "Change Advanced Power Settings." which should be under "Change Plan Settings," which should be under "Power Options," which should be under "Hardware and Sound" which should be under...
  3. Lid Close Action

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lid Close Action: Windows 11 on an HP Envy computer. Cannot find, "Lid close action," which should be under "Change Advanced Power Settings." which should be under "Change Plan Settings," which should be under "Power Options," which should be under "Hardware and Sound" which should be under...
  4. How to Change Default Lid Open Action in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Change Default Lid Open Action in Windows 10: [img] In Windows 10 version 1607 and later, the Lid open action setting (if supported) in Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the laptop (system) lid is opened when waking (resuming) from sleep, hibernate, or modern standby. Users can specify...
  5. Close a lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  6. How to change Laptop Lid Open Action in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Laptop Lid Open Action in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Most laptops today come with an inbuilt feature that turns on automatically when you open its lid. You can also make the screen go off […] This article How to change Laptop Lid Open Action in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. Setting the action when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Setting the action when lid is closed: Is it possible to set this action to shut down, sleep or hibernate the computer? What is the effect on battery life of sleep or hibernate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-the-action-when-lid-is-closed/7841bd04-51d2-4421-93bc-0bb887938c54
  8. Is there a way to change what closing the lid does beyond the default settings of just...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a way to change what closing the lid does beyond the default settings of just...: What I would like to do, is just have my device log off when the lid is closed, but still remain on. Has anyone figured out how to do this? I'm running windows 10 education and windows 10 enterprise...
  9. Change Windows default email action?

in Browsers and Email
    Change Windows default email action?: I used Gmail in Chrome to send/receive my email. When I click on an email address that is on a website or anywhere else, Windows by default opens it's own email window and wants me to use that rather than Gmail to send & receive messages. I want no part of that and would like...
  10. Changing Explorer Default Action

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Explorer Default Action: For htm files, the default windows action is Open. Click on it and it opens the file in your browser. Problem is I don't want to do this. I want to edit the htm file, but I can't seem to find anything to change the default. This doesn't seem to be an option anywhere. I could...