Windows 10: Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10 [img] Information Your screen(s) can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. Aero... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Your screen(s) can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. Aero Shake lets you quickly minimize all opened windows except the current active window by shaking its title bar. Shaking the title bar again will restore all the minimized windows.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Aero Shake for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable Aero Shake.

Note If you do not use Aero Shake, then disabling Aero Shake could be helpful to prevent mistakenly minimizing other opened windows while moving a window.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Aero Shake for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Aero Shake for All Users using a REG file
    • Option Three: To Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Group Policy

EXAMPLE: Aero Shake in Windows 10
    NOTE: Music in video is "Rockab" by Mr Juan licensed under a Attribution 3.0 France License.

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Aero Shake for Current User using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

DisallowShaking DWORD

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Aero Shake for Current User
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Aero_Shake_for_current_user.reg

Download

3. To Disable Aero Shake for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Aero_Shake_for_current_user.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Aero Shake for All Users using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

NoWindowMinimizingShortcuts DWORD

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Aero Shake for All Users
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

Enable_Aero_Shake_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Aero Shake for All Users

Disable_Aero_Shake_for_all_users.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart explorer, sign out and in to Windows, or restart the PC to apply.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option One above.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Desktop. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Desktop, double click/tap on Turn off Aero Shake window minimizing mouse gesture to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 or step 6 below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Aero Shake
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Aero Shake
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 Aero Shake

I don't think. I never changed my laptop to tablet mode. I didn't know I could.

Anyway. I believe one of the updates since this original post fixed the issue.

Now, the Aero Shake thing does not turn the screen in "Always on Top" mode anymore.

Thank you all!

Dani Cardelli, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Aero Shake

Ok. As I never had seen this Aero Shake before, I just figure this out in Windows 10. Kind of by accident.

Now, I understood what was minimizing all other screens, why, and how to get them back.

However, one thing I couldn't find out by myself how to "fix" and I also could not find any answer in forums.

The thing is, for some reason, the window I shake twice (first to minimize all other windows, second to bring them back) is getting "Always of Top".

If I do it with a second window, the second window gets privileges over the first, but both kept Always on Top of everything else.

This is annoying me. Does anyone know how to set this to never change to "Always on Top"?

Thanks.

Dani Cardelli, Oct 26, 2019
  4. ArnoldasB Win User

Aero

When I launched a program new window opened and it was suggesting to disable aero to get better performance, so i disabled aero. But now i want to turn on aero again but i can't or don't know how to do it. Is it posible to tur on back again? Help

ArnoldasB, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to enable the Aero theme?

Hello,

I have a query regarding my Aero Themes in my windows 7 PC as I am not able to enable the Aero themes....

When I troubleshooted the problem it showed me that the

1. Theme service is not working.

2. Desktop window manager is disabled.

I checked it on net but couldn't get any appropriate result....

Please help me regarding this.....

UtkarshSingh8, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Graeme.P Win User
    How do i unhide other windows

Hi Jenelle, I'm Graeme, an independent adviser here to help.

It's likely that Aero Shake (shaking one window to minimize others) is responsible for minimizing all of your windows, and there isn't really any way to maximize them all at once.

Probably the best solution to your problem would be to disable Aero Shake, if you don't need to use it to minimize all other windows.

Here's a tutorial on how to disable Aero Shake:

https://mywindowshub.com/enable-disable-aero-sh...

Hopefully that helps! If you need any more assistance please let me know! Thanks!

Note: Non-Microsoft websites are linked. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Graeme.P, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Aero Shake in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Aero

2. Cannot disable Aero Shake without disabling all window snap features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot disable Aero Shake without disabling all window snap features: I have been confused about why my windows constantly disappear, but I discovered that the feature is called Aero Shake. I wanted to disable the feature because it hinders me a lot, but unfortunately I cannot find the right setting. I searched online, and apparently there...
  3. Cannot disable Aero Shake without disabling all window snap features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot disable Aero Shake without disabling all window snap features: I have been confused about why my windows constantly disappear, but I discovered that the feature is called Aero Shake. I wanted to disable the feature because it hinders me a lot, but unfortunately I cannot find the right setting. I searched online, and apparently there...
  4. Cannot disable Aero Shake without disabling all window snap features

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 21H2 turns off Aero Share “shake to minimize” by default

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 21H2 turns off Aero Share “shake to minimize” by default: With Windows 7, Microsoft added “Aero Shake”, a feature that lets you shake the window to minimize all open windows on your desktop except one. Aero Shake is easy to use and it can be accidentally triggered if users select the title bar of the window holding the left mouse...
  6. Aero in 10?

Aero in 10?: I know this topic has been widely discussed among fellow windows 10 users, but ever since windows 10 came out in 2015, people have wanted 1 thing: aero glass. And ever since the 2004 update, microsoft has removed even the use of a third party program. What happened? In...
  7. Aero Shake feature toggle is finally coming to Windows 10 Settings

in Windows 10 News
    Aero Shake feature toggle is finally coming to Windows 10 Settings: References spotted in the preview builds had suggested that a future Windows 10 update will retire the unpopular ‘Aero Shake’ feature, which was introduced with Windows 7 to improve the multitasking experience. In response to user feedback, Microsoft is now making Aero Shake...
  8. Windows 10 update turns off Aero Shake, adds new features to legacy tools

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update turns off Aero Shake, adds new features to legacy tools: Microsoft has confirmed that it’s experimenting with a new change that will turn off the underused “Aero Shake” function in Windows 10. Aero Shake, otherwise known as “Shake to Minimize” allows you to minimize all open windows by shaking the cursor back-and-forth when...
  9. Windows 10 update to disable the unpopular ‘Shake to Minimize’ feature

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update to disable the unpopular ‘Shake to Minimize’ feature: One of the great things about Windows is how intuitive it is. The majority of its essential features can be easily accessed by the users and they’re also heavily promoted by Microsoft. There are some useful or unpopular features that are hidden away and Microsoft is now...
  10. Disable Aero shake windows 10 without admin

Disable Aero shake windows 10 without admin: I had yet another frustrating bout of Aero shake hiding all the windows I was working with today. It's been eleven years. Can you PLEASE allow users to turn this off without editing the registry? I work for the government. I don't have admin access to my work computer. I'm...