Windows 10: Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10 Your screen can get cluttered if you have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Windows 10

Your screen can get cluttered if you have a lot of opened app windows. The Snap windows (aka: Aero Snap) feature includes Snap Assist and 2x2 snapping to help you organize these opened windows on your desktop.

For more details about Snap windows, see: Arrange your Windows in a Snap

Starting with Task View you can now snap apps to left and right, replace a previously snapped app with another (teeter) and swipe down to close an app.
    Snap Assist

Drag a window to the left or right edge of your screen until you see a transparent overlay appear, then drop the window to have it snap to that half of the screen.

Snap Assist will then show thumbnails of all other snappable windows in the available space on the other side for you to click/tap on one to choose, and it'll also automatically snap in to place.

2x2 Snap

You can snap up to four windows in a 2x2 grid on your screen.

Drag a window to the top or bottom corner of the left or right edge of your screen until you see a transparent overlay appear, then drop the window to have it snap to that quadrant of the screen.

Modern universal apps will not reduce in vertical height as much as a desktop app, so a they will be larger than a quarter of the screen.

Keyboard shortcuts:

Windows + Left arrow
    Press to snap the current active window to the left half of the screen. If you have multiple screens, then you can keep pressing to move and snap the window to the screen to the left.

Windows + Right arrow
    Press to snap the current active window to the right half of the screen. If you have multiple screens, then you can keep pressing to move and snap the window to the screen to the right.

Windows + Up arrow
    If the window isn't snapped, then it will maximize the window. If the window is snapped to a side, then it will snap the window to the top quarter of that side.

Windows + Down arrow
    If the window isn't snapped, then it will minimize the window. If the window is maximized, it will restore down the window. If the window is snapped to a side, then it will snap the window to the bottom quarter of that side.
    This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Snap windows (Aero Snap) for your user account in Windows 10.

*Warning If you turn off Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen (Aero Snap), you will no longer be able to drag maximized windows.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Snap Windows, Snap Fill, Snap Assist, and Snap Auto Resize in Settings app
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Ease of Access Center
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Snap Windows, Snap Fill, Snap Assist, and Snap Auto Resize using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Snap windows in Windows 10
    *note Music in video is "Do the Pump" by Mr Juan licensed under a Attribution 3.0 France License.

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Snap Windows, Snap Fill, Snap Assist, and Snap Auto Resize in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Snap Windows
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Multitasking on the left side, and turn on Snap windows under Work with multiple windows on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Check (on - default) or uncheck (off) the Snap settings below for what you want, and go to step 5 below.
    • When I snap a window, automatically size it to fill available space (Snap Fill)
    • When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it (Snap Assist)
    • When I resize a snapped window, simultaneously resize any adjacent snapped window (Snap auto resize)

Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. To Turn Off Snap Windows
    A) Click/tap on Multitasking on the left side, turn on Snap windows under Work with multiple windows on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Snap Windows in Ease of Access Center
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Ease of Access Center icon.

2. In the Ease of Access Center, click/tap on either the Make the mouse easier to use, Make the Keyboard Easier To Use, or Make it easier to focus on tasks link. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Turn On Snap Windows
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Uncheck the Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edged of the screen box, click/tap on Apply, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Turn Off Snap Windows
    A) Check the Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edged of the screen box, click/tap on Apply, and go to step 6 below.
    6. When finished, you can close the Ease of Access Center if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Snap Windows, Snap Fill, Snap Assist, and Snap Auto Resize using a REG file
    *note The downloadable .reg files below will change the registry key and value below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

WindowArrangementActive DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

JointResize DWORD
    SnapFill DWORD
    SnapAssist DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (Snap), step 3 (Snap Fill), step 4 (Snap Assist), or step 5 (Snap Auto Resize) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On or Off Snap Windows
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Turn_On_Aero_Snap.reg (default)

Download

OR

Turn_Off_Aero_Snap.reg

Download

3. To Turn On or Off Snap Fill
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

Turn_On_Snap_Fill.reg (default)
    *note This will also turn on Snap windows.

Download

OR

Turn_Off_Snap_Fill.reg

Download

4. To Turn On or Off Snap Assist

Turn_On_Snap_Assist.reg (default)

Download

OR

Turn_Off_Snap_Assist.reg

Download

5. To Turn On or Off Snap Auto Resize

Turn_On_Snap_Auto_Resize.reg (default)

Download

OR

Turn_Off_Snap_Auto_Resize.reg

Download
    6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. restart the PC to apply.

10. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 8, 2015

2. Highlighted Box On Top Left Screen On Windows 10

Looks like some sort of mismatched Aero Snap Settings:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4343-turn-o...

You have to fiddle with 4 Settings in Multitasking.

Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 8, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 8, 2015
  4. rspy24 Win User

Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

Hi Shawn! Is there a way to turn off "When I snap a windows, show what I can snap next to it" in setting/multitasking but, from the registry editor?

Thanks!

rspy24, Jul 22, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello @rspy24 ,

OPTION THREE has been updated to include a .reg option for Snap Assist. *Smile

Brink, Jul 22, 2015
  6. rspy24 Win User
    Amazing @Brink! Thanks! works great!

rspy24, Jul 22, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jul 22, 2015
  8. steelew Win User

Is there any way to just disable the corner snap? I kind of hat hate that part. I love the old snap feature but I can't for the life of me, train myself to stop using the corners for a side snap. Thanks

steelew, Sep 22, 2015
  9. Is there any way to get it like Windows 7? I find myself having lost more features than gained with upgrading to Windows 10. Every time I try to move a window from 1 monitor to the other, it gets "stuck" trying to bloody snap in between my two monitors. Windows 7 didn't do this. If I then turn off snap, I can no longer make a window 'fullscreen' by simply dragging it to the top of my screen (like I could in windows 7) hence I lost a feature. This and many other nuisances really deterers me from keeping Windows 10.

Thanks,
    -

lindenkron, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello lindenkron, *Smile

For sticky edges and corners, you might see if the tutorials below to disable them may help with that.

Sticky Edges for Multi-Monitors - Enable or Disable

Sticky Corners for Multi-Monitors - Enable or Disable

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  11. I don't believe any of that applies. This is the feature in question:
    (NSFW background I spose)

It used to NEVER do it in Windows 7 between the two monitors ie: [ | ] at the middle line. Only top / bottom / sides. Now it does it in between in Windows 10 so everytime I wanna move something over with low sensitivity on mouse it gets stuck. And it's quite frankly enough to drive you crazy.

All you can do is completely disable it, so top/sides (usually used top) doesn't work either, meaning I have to double click to make a window full screen. When you do that a few 100 times a day, a minor inconvenience turns into a hassle. As with a ton of things in Windows 10. Not impressed :/

Appreciate the reply,
    -

lindenkron, Dec 13, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Sticky edges would be for when a window gets stuck or delayed before crossing over to the next display. Disabling sticky edges may also stop it from snapping when crossing over.

If yo like, try step 2 below to see if it may help.

Sticky Edges for Multi-Monitors - Enable or Disable

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
  13. Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10

Yes I already tried your suggestion prior to posting, otherwise I wouldn't trouble you *Smile
    It did nothing, it still latches on to the side of the screen between monitors, not just up/sides.

Thanks,
    -

lindenkron, Dec 13, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    I was thinking of 'MouseMonitorEscapeSpeed', but I have no way of testing it at the moment.
    Maybe Shawn can shed some light on it.

Edwin, Dec 13, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Edwin, *Smile

Yeah, that's what the sticky edges tutorial was for.

Brink, Dec 13, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Aero Snap in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Aero

2. How to turn off SNAP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off SNAP: I was trying to use Snap or Snip and Sketch. Now when I open a screen the right side is off the edge of my small monitor and I can't read the border, or close, or access the new right side tab. Please tell me how to undo this application that I think allows me to use multiple...
  3. How to turn off SNAP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off SNAP: I was trying to use Snap or Snip and Sketch. Now when I open a screen the right side is off the edge of my small monitor and I can't read the border, or close, or access the new right side tab. Please tell me how to undo this application that I think allows me to use multiple...
  4. snap windows cannot turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    snap windows cannot turn off: each time i take a doc t the top of my windows desktop , i get a blue column and the docs horizontal with is reduced in size. I have turned of multitasking > snap windows but to no avail.Any sugestions on how to get rid of this annoyance?...
  5. snap windows cannot turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    snap windows cannot turn off: each time i take a doc t the top of my windows desktop , i get a blue column and the docs horizontal with is reduced in size. I have turned of multitasking > snap windows but to no avail.Any sugestions on how to get rid of this annoyance?...
  6. Aero snapping betwen multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Aero snapping betwen multiple monitors: I have read multiple threads about this issue and it looks like Microsoft could not care less about Windows 10 users. These said threads are as old as 2015 and the issue is still not fixed. Long story short, I am using Windows Areo Snapping feature but when I want to move...
  7. I can't turn off Aero Peek.

I can't turn off Aero Peek.: Since our Windows Update, Peak had enabled itself and I can't turn it off by either of the methods. I had read that there is an Aero Peek troubleshooter, but it's unclear to me where it is....
  8. How to turn off Win Aero?

How to turn off Win Aero?: How can I deactivate Aero for Win 10? And / or use a design needing as less resources as possible? 94658
  9. How to completely turn off Aero Peek

How to completely turn off Aero Peek: I have done everything I can to turn off Aero Peek. I'm referring to the thumbnail previews you see when you mouse over an open item on your bottom taskbar. For example, if I have Word open but am looking at my desktop, if I mouse over the "Microsoft Word" icon in the taskbar...
  10. Windows 10 Turn off Snap Assit

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Turn off Snap Assit: How can I turn off Snap Assist widget that is at top of screen when moving windows. I have watched videos, I have read posts, in "Multitasking" I have everything turned off and it won't go away. I have 3 monitors if that makes a difference. 107072