Windows 10: Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by WOT, Apr 4, 2017.

1. WOT
    WOT Win User

Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

Notepad is a simple text editor included in Windows and a basic text-editing program which enables computer users to create documents.

For many years, Windows Notepad only supported text documents containing Windows End of Line (EOL) characters - Carriage Return (CR) & Line Feed (LF). This means that Notepad was unable to correctly display the contents of text files created in Unix, Linux and macOS.

For example, heres a screenshot of Notepad trying to display the contents of a Linux .bashrc text file, which only contains Unix LF EOL characters:

Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10 [​IMG]

As you can see, Notepad is incorrectly displaying the files contents, making the file look garbled. This has been a major annoyance for developers, IT Pros, administrators, and end users throughout the community.

Microsoft has now fixed this issue.

Starting with Windows 10 build 17666, Notepad will support Unix/Linux line endings (LF), Macintosh line endings (CR), and Windows Line endings (CRLF) as usual. New files created within Notepad will use Windows line ending (CRLF) by default, but it will now be possible to view, edit, and print existing files, correctly maintaining the files current line ending format.

Heres a screenshot of the newly updated Notepad displaying the contents of the same Unix/Linux .bashrc file we saw earlier:

Also note that the status bar indicates the detected EOL format of the currently open file.

As with any change to a long-established tool, theres a chance that this new behavior may not work for your scenarios, or you may prefer to disable this new behavior and return to Notepads original behavior.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Unix/Linux line endings (LF) and Macintosh line endings (CR) support in Notepad for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:
    The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad

fWindowsOnlyEOL and fPasteOriginalEOL DWORDs

0 = Enable
    1 = Disable

1 Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2 To Enable Extended Line Endings in Notepad
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_extended_line_endings_in_Notepad.reg

Download

3 To Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_extended_line_endings_in_Notepad.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Brink Win User

Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad in Windows 10

Source: Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Tip Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad in Windows 10

Source: Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Tip Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Mohan B P Win User

NotePad end-of-line handling: LF not recognized as EOL

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with end of line handling in Notepad, let me assist you.

This feature of end of line handling is not available in Notepad, I suggest you to provide us a feedback about the features that has to be included or modified using the Feedback Hub, so that the features may get included in the upcoming builds.

Type feedback in the search bar, click on
    Feedback Hub and follow the instructions.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Paola Gar Win User
    Notepad in Windows 10

Hi Stephanie,

Status Bar on Notepad may be disabled or grayed out because the Word Wrap options under Format is turned on. To enable Status Bar, you need to uncheck the Word Wrap option first. That is how the Notepad has been programmed. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Click Format.
    • Uncheck Word Wrap option.
    • Click View again and you'll see that it is already enabled.

If you wish the Status Bar to be always enabled, you may do it by editing your device registry settings. However,
    before editing the registry, we suggest backing up the default settings first to make sure that if any issue arises, you can simply go back to your previous settings. To set up a backup, please click

here
    . Follow the steps below to enable Status Bar:

• Press Windows + R.
    • Type Regedit and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Notepad.
    • Change the StatusBar DWORD value from 0 to 1.

Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10 status-bar-registry.jpg

• Press F5 to refresh the Registry.
    • You can now open Notepad and you'll see that Status Bar is enabled.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Extended Line Endings in Notepad in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Extended

2. Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...: Most of the time I like to use the option in MS Windows 11: Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.Sometimes I want to temporarily disable this option because it is annoying. Now I'm looking for a way to do this quickly.For example with a command line command or...
  3. Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a command line command to enable/disable: Activate Window by hovering over it with...: Most of the time I like to use the option in MS Windows 11: Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.Sometimes I want to temporarily disable this option because it is annoying. Now I'm looking for a way to do this quickly.For example with a command line command or...
  4. How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Hibernation allows you to save the state of the computer without losing any unsaved […] This article How to Enable or Disable Hibernation using PowerCFG command line in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to disable / enable devices using command line in Windows 10: Hello friends, Prior to updating to 1803 my headphones/laptop speakers were working just fine. When I connect my USB headphones, audio automatically redirected to headphones but not any more (after updating to 1803). Now, I need to manually disable speakers after connecting...
  6. Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing extended line endings support in Notepad in Windows 10: For many years, Windows Notepad only supported text documents containing Windows End of Line (EOL) characters - Carriage Return (CR) & Line Feed (LF). This means that Notepad was unable to correctly display the contents of text files created in Unix, Linux and macOS. For...
  7. Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Line Wrapping Selection in Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  8. Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Timeline in Windows 10 Timeline is now available in Windows 10 starting with build 17063. It can be difficult to get back to stuff you were working on in the past. You might sometimes forget...
  9. 32Gb Notebook - end of the line for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    32Gb Notebook - end of the line for Windows 10?: I have not upgraded many of these devices but the method I've described previously has worked for me *Wink It helps too if the user does not run the system until the memory available runs low, before they add extra memory, as most Phones Tablets and these hybrid devices...
  10. Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and the version of...