Windows 10: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Apps and Games in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Apps and Games in Windows 10

Windows 10 introduced a new feature called fullscreen optimizations that is enabled by default. Fullscreen optimizations may lead to better gaming and app performance when they are running in fullscreen mode. However, some people have reported that fullscreen optimizations doesn't always improve gaming and app performance.

This tutorial will show different ways to enable and disable fullscreen optimizations for apps and games for your account or all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User in Advanced Graphics Settings
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User in Game Bar Settings
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Specific Apps for Current User in Compatibility Settings
    • Option Five: Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Specific Apps for All Users in Compatibility Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User in Advanced Graphics Settings

*note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17093. This option is no longer available starting with at least Windows 10 build 17134.

This option is the same setting as Option Two and Option Three.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Display on the left side, and click/tap on the Advanced graphics settings link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 17101, the Advanced graphics settings link will now just say Graphics Settings.

Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Check (default) or uncheck Enable fullscreen optimizations for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note Disabling this fullscreen optimization setting will be applied globally for the current account.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User in Game Bar Settings

*note This option is no longer available starting with at least Windows 10 build 17134. This option is the same setting as Option One and Option Three.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Gaming icon.

2. Click/tap on Game bar on the left side, and check (default) or uncheck Show Game bar when I play full screen games Microsoft has verified for what you want. (see screenshot below)

*note Disabling this fullscreen optimization setting will be applied globally for the current account.

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User using a REG file

*note This option is the same setting as Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

GameDVR_FSEBehavior DWORD

0 = Enable
    2 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_fullscreen_optimizations_for_current_account.reg

Download

3. To Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_fullscreen_optimizations_for_current_account.reg

Download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Specific Apps for Current User in Compatibility Settings

*note Disabling fullscreen optimizations using Option One, Option Two, Option Three, or Option Five will override the settings made using this option.
    1. Right click or press and hold on the .exe file or shortcut of a classic app (desktop) you want, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Compatibility tab, check or uncheck (default) Disable fullscreen optimizations for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations for Specific Apps for All Users in Compatibility Settings

*note Disabling fullscreen optimizations using Option One, Option Two, or Option Three will override the settings made using this option.
    1. Right click or press and hold on the .exe file or shortcut of a classic app (desktop) you want, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the Compatibility tab, and click/tap on the Change settings for all users button. (see screenshot below)

3. Check or uncheck (default) Disable fullscreen optimizations for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 10, 2018

2. Can't disable 'Fullscreen optimizations' globally after October 1809 update

I have always disabled Windows 10's Fullscreen optimizations. Even if some people say the new 'fullscreen' presentation mode offers better performance and quicker alt-tabbing, I still disable it. I have my reasons. I want all of my games to run in
    Exclusive fullscreen mode. And for me, the registry entry, 'GameDVR_FSEBehavior' set to '2' always disabled Fullscreen optimizations globally (no need to go into each .exe's Compatibility settings to disable it).
    Located in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore

Now, after the 1809 October feature update. The fullscreen optimizations presentation mode defaults to on in all games, regardless of the 'GameDVR_FSEBehavior' value. The other method of disabling it globally has also been gone for a few months now. Unchecking
    the box, "Show game bar when I play full-screen games Microsoft has verified" used to disable Fullscreen optmizations globally, but that setting was removed from the Gaming options in Windows.

I would like to know how to disable the Fullscreen optmizations presentation mode
    globally in Windows 10 after the October 2018 update.

I do realize that individual .exe's can disable Fullscreen optimizations by right-clicking, Properties, and going to Compatibility tab, but even this solution doesn't work for all games now.
    For example; after the October update, I have yet to find a way to disable fullscreen optimizations for Fortnite BR. Even with the option checked in the exe, it still runs in the 'enhanced fullscreen' mode. I cannot find a way to run Fortnite
    BR in exclusive fullscreen after the October update 1809.

Thanks!

ChrisBeaudette, Oct 27, 2019
  3. How to disable fullscreen optimization.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, Thank you so much for your valuable question please, If my understanding is right, I would suggest you to please see the below mentioned article once please (if not tried before) and see if it helps. I am hopeful that
    your query will be resolved, If the issue persists or if my understanding is different from your concern, kindly do let me know,waiting for your kind reply please.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104080-enab...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Please let me know, if that helps and feel free to ask back any question.

Kind Regards:

Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

Disable optimal resolution check and notice

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to disable the Optimal Resolution Notification:

• Right click on the on the empty area on the Desktop.
    • Select Graphics options > Balloon Notification >
      Optimal Resolution Notification > Disable.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Warkratos Win User
    Windows 10 CU - Fullscreen optimizations

There is a new compatibility option on .exes properties, "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations" , I use Windows Colour Calibration to adjust gamma etc, but when I launch a game, all my settings gets reseted to default, but when I check this box on the game .exe, it launches normally , like on Anniversary Update.

Anyone know what this option does? Or any tutorial to Disable Fullscreen Optimizations globally?

Warkratos, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Can Fullscreen optimization cause input lag?

I've heard some games like Overwatch and CSGO can have some lag input when fullscreen optimization is enabled. Can you tell me what Fullscreen optimization actually does?

PatrickCastillo1, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Fullscreen

2. Disabling Fullscreen Optimizations - Compatibility Flags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling Fullscreen Optimizations - Compatibility Flags: I have seen somewhere that putting the string value registry key:"~ DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE HIGHDPIAWARE"in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" would disable Fullscreen Optimizations.Is it true?Is...
  3. Disabling Fullscreen Optimizations - Compatibility Flags

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Fullscreen Optimizations - Compatibility Flags: I have seen somewhere that putting the string value registry key:"~ DISABLEDXMAXIMIZEDWINDOWEDMODE HIGHDPIAWARE"in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" would disable Fullscreen Optimizations.Is it true?Is...
  4. Disable fullscreen optimizations for everything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable fullscreen optimizations for everything?: Is it possible to completely disable fullscreen optimizations with one setting instead of clicking on every game executable I have? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-fullscreen-optimizations-for-everything/327ae85a-2f73-40ba-be63-7e57e0d486ff
  5. Disable fullscreen optimizations for everything?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable fullscreen optimizations for everything?: Is it possible to completely disable fullscreen optimizations with one setting instead of clicking on every game executable I have? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-fullscreen-optimizations-for-everything/327ae85a-2f73-40ba-be63-7e57e0d486ff
  6. How to disable fullscreen optimization?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable fullscreen optimization?: Title, thanks. Microsoft never learns and implements things only causing headache and grief and gives us no control. Disgusting that they force so much extra bloatware now. Previously it was possible to disable fullscreen optimization on advanced graphic settings but now...
  7. Disable fullscreen optimizations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable fullscreen optimizations: Hello, I just have a quick question about the option for "disable fullscreen optimizations." To get there, I right click a .exe app or a game and click compatibility. The problem is whenever I do check this option, alt tabbing takes significantly longer when enabling this...
  8. Disable Fullscreen Optimizations? (1909)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Fullscreen Optimizations? (1909): Hello! I'm trying to disable full screen optimizations for Apex Legends (well, globally if possible)... but nothing I'm trying is working. I've tried tinkering with the Registry, turning off Game Bar, turning off Game mode, Compatibility mode etc. Nothing is working. Any help...
  9. How to disable fullscreen optimization.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to disable fullscreen optimization.: Hi, I have been having issues with my fps being capped to 60 due to the full screen optimization I disabled it on one game and its stopped being capped but some games don't give me the option. Is there any way that I can disable full screen optimization completely from all my...
  10. Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10: Thank you HeavyHemi. *Smile