Windows 10: Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 A Tile is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Droyk, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Droyk Win User

Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

A Tile is an image that represents a pinned app on Start. Live tiles on Start display information that are useful at a glance without opening an app.

The default for Show more tiles on Start setting has been added to be able to do this now. .

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to change the Show more tiles on Start setting for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable the "Show more tiles on Start" setting.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting using a REG file

EXAMPLE: "Show more tiles on Start" setting enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Prevent users from customizing their Start Screen policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoChangeStartMenu DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Show_more_tiles_on_Start_setting.reg

Download

3. To Disable "Show more tiles on Start" Setting
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Show_more_tiles_on_Start_setting.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Droyk, Nov 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

So I woke my computer up from sleep last night and this is what I was welcomed with:

All of a sudden my start menu had no apps listed and no live tiles to speak of. So I did my googleing and I found this microsoft answer page: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-b988cd6da49a

I tried every step in their. After all said and done, I got installed programs to show up, but the live tiles that usually show to the right did not come back. I was ok with that, thinking I would work on this today and find a solution to that problem.

I just woke up the computer again from sleep and the start menu is blank AGAIN. Before this started happening last night, I have not installed any new software nor has windows ran any updates.

I'm at a loss. I tried system recovery and to roll back to a few days prior, but I keep getting an error after recovery is attempted stating that windows recovery wasn't able to fully complete due to a certain file (i can retry recovery and post picture of error if needed).

So any suggestions on whats my next step? I thought maybe I had a malware issue, but II have avast and malware antibytes installed and they showed no hits when the scans where run.

Any suggestions or guidance is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a Great Turkey Day!

PS, I have to work today from 4pm to 6am, so If I do not reply right away I apologize.

Dalumberjack03, Oct 27, 2019
  3. ahujet Win User
    Disabling iGPU in windows 10

Ah, had that multi display option disabled. Currently installing clean windows maybe that was the problem. What version of windows 10 are you on btw?

ahujet, Oct 27, 2019
  4. zarz0rz Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu all apps / tiles missing

Hi There,

I had the exact same problem. Showed up last night and I used the computer all day today with my blank Start Menu. Even if I tried searching for an app on the start menu, it would find it, but if I clicked on it, nothing would happen.

Then I found this post, also from this forum, and it solved the issue for me.

I didn't even know Windows TenForums, but I felt compeled to register an account just to answer you so you could solve your problem too. Hope it does.

Best regards from Portugal,

José Rodrigues

zarz0rz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 start tiles are cut in half!

Hi Kraig,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Does this issue occur with any particular tile or all tiles?

I suggest you to Unpin and then again do pin to start.

I also suggest you to run system file checker scan and check the issue.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • At the Command Prompt, type:
      sfc/scannow

Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Live tiles not working Windows 10

I tried your suggestions, but when I got to the 'Apps & Features' list, none of my tiles were listed.

Thank-you for trying to help.

DorothyFabi, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Show

2. How to show more Pinned Tiles on Windows 11 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to show more Pinned Tiles on Windows 11 Start Menu: [ATTACH]Windows 11 is one of the hottest topics in the town of tech. The developers are adding new features and the consumers are loving it. There is a new feature in this OS that allows you to add more programs to the Start Menu. In this article, we are going to see how to...
  3. Show more tiles is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Show more tiles is not working: Can someone please help me fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/show-more-tiles-is-not-working/1fc3ebfd-de6d-40ec-8e01-d2e2f98907cb
  4. start menu not showing tiles

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    start menu not showing tiles: start menu not showing tiles https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-showing-tiles/21e7436d-100f-4d21-aa5d-0d3ea3f2dd29
  5. Windows 10 build 1803 Start menu "Show More Tiles" option broken

Windows 10 build 1803 Start menu "Show More Tiles" option broken: In Windows 1709, with "Show More Tiles" enabled the start menu extends to within about an inch of the right side of the screen. A maximum width equal to eight medium sized tiles: [ATTACH] In Windows 1803, with "Show More Tiles" disabled, it displays the same as 1709,...
  6. Windows Start Settings show more tiles disappeared

Windows Start Settings show more tiles disappeared: Hi all, please help me to solve this problem. I am using Windows 10 Home edition. After i formatted it (still the same edition), i found that my Start Settings is different. This Settings suppose look like this, [img] BUT, RIGHT NOW, it look like this, [img]...
  7. Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 A Tile is an image that represents a pinned app on Start. Live tiles on Start display information that are useful at a glance without opening an...
  8. Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Resizable Start Menu in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10041 released on March 18th 2015. [img] Information Windows...
  9. Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Live Tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Live Tile Notifications on Start in Windows 10 [img] Information A tile is an app’s representation on the Start menu in Windows 10, and can be either static or live. A static tile...
  10. Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Turn On or Off Show more tiles on Start in Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off 'Show more tiles' on Start in Windows 10 Mobile for Phones [img] Information A Tile is an image that represents your app on the Start screen. When Show more tiles is...