Windows 10: Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows How to Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows SuperFetch (aka: Memory Prefetcher) is a service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Soyabeaner, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

How to Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

SuperFetch (aka: Memory Prefetcher) is a service that was introduced with Vista.

SuperFetch is an enhancement of the Prefetcher from previous versions of Windows. The Prefetcher is in charge of storing program information so that often-used programs and processes can run faster.

SuperFetch keeps track of which applications you use most and loads this information from the hard drive into RAM so that programs load faster than they would if the hard disk had to be accessed every time. Windows SuperFetch prioritizes the programs youre currently using over background tasks and adapts to the way you work by tracking the programs you use most often and pre-loading these into memory. With SuperFetch, background tasks still run when the computer is idle. However, when the background task is finished, SuperFetch repopulates system memory with the data you were working with before the background task ran. Now, when you return to your desk, your programs will continue to run as efficiently as they did before you left. It is even smart enough to know what day it is in the event you use different applications more often on certain days. Basically, SuperFetch attempts to predict which applications you will launch next and preloads all of the necessary data into memory.

Sometimes SuperFetch may cause high disk usage.

If you run Windows from a SSD or M.2 instead of a slow spinner hard drive, then you may not see any performance gain from SuperFetch to justify the drive usage from it.

If you like, you could disable SuperFetch to see if you have any performance gains with it enabled or disabled.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable SuperFetch in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable SuperFetch.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Services
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type services.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Services.

2. Double click/tap on the SysMain service. (see screenshot below)

*note Starting with Windows 10 build 17763.1, the SuperFetch service has been renamed to SysMain.

Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows [​IMG]

3. Do step 4 (enable) or step 5 (disable) below for what you want to do.

4. To Enable SuperFetch
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Change the Startup type to Automatic. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the Start button.

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

5. To Disable SuperFetch
    A) Click/tap on the Stop button.

B) Change the Startup type to Disabled. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below.

6. You can now close Services.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Do step 3 (enable) or step 4 (disable) below for what you want to do.

3. To Enable SuperFetch
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow sc config "SysMain" start=auto & sc start "SysMain"

4. To Disable SuperFetch
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow sc stop "SysMain" & sc config "SysMain" start=disabled

5. You can now close the elevated command prompt.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable SuperFetch in PowerShell
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step 3 (enable) or step 4 (disable) below for what you want to do.

3. To Enable SuperFetch
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow Set-Service -Name "SysMain" -StartupType Automatic -Status Running

4. To Disable SuperFetch
    A) Copy and paste the command below into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow Stop-Service -Force -Name "SysMain"; Set-Service -Name "SysMain" -StartupType Disabled

5. You can now close the elevated PowerShell.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Soyabeaner, Feb 12, 2018
  2. IT_hoser Win User

How To Optimize Windows 10 Settings For SSD Drive Performance?

I just upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1

One of the suggestions for SSD optimization I had read was to disable the SuperFetch Service. On my machine (laptop with only one drive which is an SSD) SuperFetch was enabled by default.

any comments on pros/cons of disabling the superfetch service?

IT_hoser, Feb 12, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro High CPU usage at startup

Superfetch caches data so it can be immediately available to your application

There is a way to change Superfetch behaviour in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlSet - Control - Session Manager - MemoryManagement - PrefetchParamaters

On the right side double click EnableSuperfetch

If a value EnableSuperfetch does not exist create a new DWORD EnableSuperfetch

And give it one of the following values:

0 = disable Superfetch

1 = Enable Superfetch when a program is launched

2 = Enable Superfetch at Boot

3 = Enable pre-fetching of everything

Select OK and Close Regedit

DaveM121, Feb 12, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

Hello Soyabeaner, *Smile

There's no need to change the registry with the service disabled.

It is safe to delete the contents of the "C:\Windows\Prefetch" folder (cache) if wanted. If Windows is still prefetching anything, the folder will get repopulated with whatever it wants to prefetch.

When superfetch is disabled, there's also really no need to change the "EnablePrefetcher" DWORD.

*Arrow SuperFetch - Change Prefetch Data to be Cached - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Feb 12, 2018
Thema:

Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

1. Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable SuperFetch

2. Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now: Good day, I received a system that ran very slow in Windows 7 because of svchost. exe eating all my available memory. Upon disabling superfetch, the memory hog cleared however the system is just so slow now and doing basic tasks takes forever. I ran a bad sector test on the...
  3. Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabled SuperFetch but system is so slow now: Good day, I received a system that ran very slow in Windows 7 because of svchost. exe eating all my available memory. Upon disabling superfetch, the memory hog cleared however the system is just so slow now and doing basic tasks takes forever. I ran a bad sector test on the...
  4. Sysmain / superfetch disabled not working ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sysmain / superfetch disabled not working ?: I have 8 GB Ram and windows 10 pro 64 bit , i have disabled ram cache by disabled sysmain service and set starup to disabled , also disable it in registery files - memory managment - superfetch = 0. even after disabling it when i run windows in beginning ram usage is always...
  5. superfetch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    superfetch: why not have this service installed superfetch in services.msc windows 10 pro 1809 pc config: i3 6100 3.7ghz 8g DDR4 240Gb ssd Radeon r7 2gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch/7390f108-6c04-49eb-b91e-5ddb4d699f35
  6. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  7. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  8. Should I disable Superfetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable Superfetch?: I know it loads programs to the RAM so they can open faster and actually It doesn't really bother me but I just want to ask - Does it really improve performance that much? My system runs pretty fast, considering its age, and I'm just wondering, will there be a significant...
  9. Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Prefetch & Superfetch: Howdy, I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things. But the Superfetch part does not work? Code: SC Config Superfetch Start= Disabled SC Stop Superfetch[/quote] Output >> The specified service does not exist as an installed...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436

Users found this page by searching for:

1. superfetch pros and cons