Windows 10: Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD

Discus and support Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and am frustratingly having troubles transferring my user folders from my SSD and HDD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shadowfuri, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD

Hi everyone,

I recently installed Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and am frustratingly having troubles transferring my user folders from my SSD and HDD. Normally I would just change the location of each individual folder (Pictures, Documents, etc) and be done. Now with the addition of OneDrive, I'm finding it extremely difficult. Some folders do not have location tabs including OneDrive itself. I attempted to relink OneDrive and change the folder, but now I have 2 OneDrive folders on both my drives... I then tried unlinking completely, but now whenever I enter my folders which seem to have to go through OneDrive, I get a pop up asking for me to link my account....

I just want to move my files from my SSD to my HDD. I don't require the use of OneDrive at all. Does anyone know exactly how this can be achieved?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

:)

shadowfuri, Mar 16, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to transfer items from an SSD to a hard drive?

Hi Fake Asian,

it depends on what you want to transfer from the SSD to the HDD

If you want to transfer over everything including Windows, Applications and data, then you need to clone the SSD onto the HDD.

To do that you will need to be able to connect both drives to your PC and a 3rd party application like the free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant or EaseUS TODO Backup - I only recommend the free versions of this software

If you just want to copy files across, connect both drives to your system and simply drag the files from the SSD onto the HDD in Windows File Explorer

DaveM121, Mar 16, 2018
  3. Trybird Win User
    Transferring Windows 10 from a HDD to a SSD in the same computer

Enter into Windows Recovery Environment, then in there use
    dism /Capture-Image command to capture the images of your old hard disk's partitions, then apply these images files (.wim) to your new hard disk's partitions, namely use
    dism /Apply-Image command to apply the images to your new hard disk's partitions.

Give an applied example as follows, pls see my reply in there:

Move Windows 10 from a HDD to an SSD

In detail, also please refer to:

Don't worry about being DISMissed, hurry up to use DISM backing
    up your partitions.

Add:

Many times I already had used this way (dism /Capture-Image & dism /Apply-Image) to replace the hard disk(s), also had just replaced the hard disk on yesterday, after replaced hard disk and then entered the system (my system is Windows 10 Home OEM edition
    1511), right-click on Start button and then click on System, the result displayed:
    Windows system is already automatically activated.

Trybird, Mar 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  5. I had trouble with One Drive a year or two ago, so I switched to Google Drive.

I thought I was the only one (or one of few) having problems with OD. But no! The issues crop up here on the forum again and again.

I can only suggest that if OD causes problems, turn it off. Dalchina, above, points to specific means for doing so.

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD

1. Having trouble transferring user files from SSD to HDD - Similar Threads - Having trouble transferring

2. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD: So I installed a new m.2 SSD in which I did a fresh install of windows on it in order for faster loading times on the startup screen as well as when I'm editing videos through Adobe After Effects. How do I make it so when I set my SSD as the bootup drive my Desktop icons from...
  3. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD: So I installed a new m.2 SSD in which I did a fresh install of windows on it in order for faster loading times on the startup screen as well as when I'm editing videos through Adobe After Effects. How do I make it so when I set my SSD as the bootup drive my Desktop icons from...
  4. Transfer Desktop/ Files from SSD to HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows transfer from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows transfer from HDD to SSD: I was wondering if it was possible to switch Windows from one internal drive to another. I have an HDD from another, older computer with Windows 10 pro already installed and with a license. However, in the PC I currently plan on building, I would like to use an SSD as my boot...
  6. Transfering OS from HDD to SSD

Transfering OS from HDD to SSD: I just bought SSD recently and want to make it as my OS, but the problem is my license is OEM.I read out there that cloning your OS from HDD to SSD using a partition wizard or something is easy and can transfer the license as well. In my case i want a clean installation on my...
  7. Transfer Windows from HDD to SSD?

Transfer Windows from HDD to SSD?: I have the Lenovo Ideapad 320s laptop with HDD. My laptop also has an additional slot for SSD. I am planning to add SSD in that slot and I want to transfer Windows 10 to SSD to boot from SSD. How do I transfer Windows 10 from HDD to SSD? I would really appreciate any help...
  8. Transfer OS From HDD to SSD

Transfer OS From HDD to SSD: I have a HP laptop with original Windows 10 Home Edition. My present Hard Drive is very slow HDD. Now I want to use a new SSD and want to reinstall this original OS to my new SSD. But I have lost my Product Key. What is the process. Thanks....
  9. How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to transfer files from SSD to HDD?: I am currently using Acer Swift 3 Windows 10. This laptop has two storages which are SSD and HDD. Every time I download or transfer any files from my pen drives, the files will be saved in SSD. I do not know how to save in HDD. I want to save in HDD because it has larger...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...