Windows 10: Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Ribbon in Windows 10 File Explorer You can use the ribbon in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pzbrawl, Aug 8, 2016.

1. pzbrawl Win User

Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show Ribbon in Windows 10 File Explorer

You can use the ribbon in File Explorer for common tasks, such as copying and moving, creating new folders, emailing and zipping items, and changing the view. The tabs change to show extra tasks that apply to the selected item.

Users can select to show (expand) the Ribbon so that it is always expanded even after you click a command on the Ribbon, or select to hide (minimize) the Ribbon to show only the tab names on the Ribbon.

Administrators can specify how the ribbon appears the first time users open File Explorer and whenever they open new File Explorer windows.

This tutorial will show you different ways to hide or show the Ribbon in File Explorer for your account or all users in Windows 10.

*note If you have Tabs in apps for Sets turned on, then the ribbon in File Explorer will always be minimized by default. You can manually open the ribbon, but it will minimize when you close the tab or File Explorer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account using Keyboard Shortcut
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from Ribbon Tab Bar
    • Option Three: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from Ribbon Arrow
    • Option Four: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from QAT
    • Option Five: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account using REG file
    • Option Six: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Seven: To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for All Users using REG file

EXAMPLE: Ribbon in File Explorer

Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account using Keyboard Shortcut

*note Option Six and Option Seven will override this option.
    1. While in File Explorer, press the CTRL+F1 keys to toggle to expand (show - default) or minimize (hide) the Ribbon.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from Ribbon Tab Bar

1. While in File Explorer, do step 2 (hide) or step 3 (show) for what you would like to do.

2. To Always Show Ribbon in File Explorer
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Right click or press and hold on an empty area of the Ribbon tab bar, and click/tap on Minimize the Ribbon to uncheck it. (see screenshot below)

3. To Always Hide Ribbon in File Explorer
    A) Right click or press and hold on an empty area of the Ribbon tab bar, and click/tap on Minimize the Ribbon to check it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from Ribbon Arrow

1. While in File Explorer, do step 2 (hide) or step 3 (show) for what you would like to do.

A) Click/tap on the down arrow in the toolbar. (see screenshot below)

[

A) Click/tap on the up arrow in the toolbar. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account from QAT

*noteOption Six and Option Seven will override this option.

A) Click/tap on the Customize Quick Access Toolbar menu arrow, and click/tap on Minimize the Ribbon to uncheck it. (see screenshot below)

A) Click/tap on the Customize Quick Access Toolbar menu arrow, and click/tap on Minimize the Ribbon to check it. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for Your Account using REG file

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORDs in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Ribbon

(When Table Mode off)
    MinimizedStateTabletModeOff DWORD

0 = Always show (expand)
    1 = Always hide (minimize)

(When Table Mode on)
    MinimizedStateTabletModeOn DWORD

0 = Always show (expand)
    1 = Always hide (minimize)

1. Do step 2 (show) or step 3 (hide) below for what you would like to do.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below you want to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

(When Table Mode off)
    Expand_Ribbon_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download

AND/OR

(When Table Mode on)
    Expand_Ribbon_in_File_Explorer_in_Tablet_Mode.reg

Download
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below you want to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

(When Table Mode off)
    Minimize_Ribbon_in_File_Explorer.reg

Download

AND/OR

(When Table Mode on)
    Minimize_Ribbon_in_File_Explorer_in_Tablet_Mode.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If File Explorer is currently open, close and open it to apply.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option Seven below.

This option will affect all users on the PC, and will override options 1 to 5 above.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the location below in the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer

3. In the right pane of the File Explorer folder, double click/tap on Start File Explorer with Ribbon minimized to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify policy) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify Policy to Show or Hide Ribbon in File Explorer for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select the setting you want under Options, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7. (see screenshot below step 6)

6. To Restore Default Settings to Let Users Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7. (see screenshot below)

*note Not configured is the default setting.

7. You can now close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Hide or Show Ribbon in File Explorer for All Users using REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option does the same thing as Option Six above. It will affect all users on the PC, and will override options 1 to 5 above.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

ExplorerRibbonStartsMinimized DWORD

0 or delete = Not configured (default)
    1 = Always open new File Explorer windows with the ribbon minimized
    2 = Never open new File Explorer windows with the ribbon minimized
    3 = Minimize the ribbon when File Explorer is opened the first time
    4 = Display the full ribbon when File Explorer is opened the first time

1. Do step 2 (not configured), step 3 (always hide), step 4 (always show), step 5 (always hide 1st time), or step 6 (always show 1st time) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Specify Not Configured to Allow Users to Hide or Show Ribbon
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Allow_Users_to_Start_File_Explorer_with_Ribbon_minimized_or_expanded.reg

Download

3. To Always open new File Explorer windows with the ribbon minimized
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 7 below.

Always_Open_new_File_Explorer_windows_with_Ribbon_minimzed.reg

Download

4. To Never open new File Explorer windows with the ribbon minimized

Never_Open_new_File_Explorer_windows_with_Ribbon_minimzed.reg

Download

5. To Minimize the ribbon when File Explorer is opened the first time

Minimize_Ribbon_when_File_Explorer_opened_first_time.reg

Download

6. To Display the full ribbon when File Explorer is opened the first time

Display_full_Ribbon_when_File_Explorer_opened_first_time.reg

Download
    7. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

8. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

9. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

10. If File Explorer is currently open, close and open it to apply.

11. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

pzbrawl, Aug 8, 2016
  2. Ken Blake Win User
    Ken Blake, Aug 8, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Why there are tick boxes ahead of all file names in windows explorer in Windows 10?

Open Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon, in the 'Show Hide' section uncheck 'Show Check Boxes' . . .

That's It!

DaveM121, Aug 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Is there a way to get back to the good old file explorer? I hate the ribbon with a very rare passion. It represents everything that is wrong with user testing today. In fact I also hate windows 10 with all its interference and bugs. I want an OS that sits in the background and just does its job and does not spy on me.

thomasdahl, Mar 21, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    "Old/New Explorer" Google it.

Edwin, Mar 21, 2017
  7. Thank you.. I will try to find it.

I managed to at least kill Cortana with a registry hack. Windows 10 is being tamed and brought back to earth (and productivity).

thomasdahl, Mar 21, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank goodness. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. tracit99 Win User
    For me Sets has affected the way File Explorer ribbon behaves. I used to have to open it once after an upgrade but now I am having to open it ever time I open File Explorer.

tracit99, Apr 9, 2018
  10. tracit99 Win User
    Well that is disappointing. Turning Sets off and restarting does not help either.

tracit99, Apr 9, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, MS will get it fixed in the next build. Be sure to send feedback.

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  12. tracit99 Win User
    Hey Shawn,

I upvoted the issue.

Jim D had this workaround and it works when Sets is OFF. I am not sure about with Sets ON. I had to read the four choices several times. They were not very intuitive.

Found a workaround for this: there is a group policy that overrides the naughty behavior and shows the ribbon every time you open Explorer: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer- Start File Explorer with ribbon minimized, set to Enabled, choose "Display the ribbon..."

Again I say read the choices very carefully. I went with the second choice and File Explore ribbon is always shown now.

tracit99, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok, good. This is option 6 and 7 in the tutorial. *Party

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  14. tracit99 Win User
    Hey Shawn,

They fixed it in the build 17650 and sent me notices that it had been fixed and it is listed:

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• We fixed an issue where File Explorer would always open with the ribbon minimized, rather than remembering how you’d left it.
    • We fixed an issue where elements on

tracit99, Apr 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show File

2. How To Hide The Ribbon In Windows 11 File Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Hide The Ribbon In Windows 11 File Explorer ?: Is there any way to keep using the Windows 11 File Explorer style, but just hide the line where "New" is? The part of the red box in the picture...
  3. How To Hide The Ribbon In Windows 11 File Explorer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Hide The Ribbon In Windows 11 File Explorer ?: Is there any way to keep using the Windows 11 File Explorer style, but just hide the line where "New" is? The part of the red box in the picture...
  4. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  5. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  6. Top Bar / ribbon not showing windows 10 file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Top Bar / ribbon not showing windows 10 file explorer: as you can see the top bar isn't showing.Any way to fix quick please answerthanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/top-bar-ribbon-not-showing-windows-10-file/62cb875b-ec88-4d4c-9013-15e38dd5f2db
  7. Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon

Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon: Windows Explorer doesn't show ribbon and there's no drop-down arrow to toggle that, or Ctr+F1 has no effect. [ATTACH] Windows 10 Pro Winver 20H2 Build 19042.746 Explorer almost looks like Win7, if I remember that correctly. Steps taken to resolve: Tried Repair Windows...
  8. File Explorer ribbon is blank

File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  9. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956
  10. Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information The preview pane in File Explorer shows you the contents of a file, such as image or text files, without having to open...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hide-show-file-explorer-ribbon-windows-10

2. w10 file explorer kill ribbon

3. file explorer in windows 10 always hide ribbon