Windows 10: Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thank you. modifying the registry seems to have worked. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to turn off this execrable UI nuisance? 42982 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pzbrawl, Aug 8, 2016.

1. pzbrawl Win User

Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

Thank you. modifying the registry seems to have worked.

Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to turn off this execrable UI nuisance?

:)

pzbrawl, Aug 8, 2016
  2. Ken Blake Win User
    Ken Blake, Aug 8, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Why there are tick boxes ahead of all file names in windows explorer in Windows 10?

Open Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon, in the 'Show Hide' section uncheck 'Show Check Boxes' . . .

That's It!

DaveM121, Aug 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 8, 2016
  5. Is there a way to get back to the good old file explorer? I hate the ribbon with a very rare passion. It represents everything that is wrong with user testing today. In fact I also hate windows 10 with all its interference and bugs. I want an OS that sits in the background and just does its job and does not spy on me.

thomasdahl, Mar 21, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    "Old/New Explorer" Google it.

Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 21, 2017
  7. Thank you.. I will try to find it.

I managed to at least kill Cortana with a registry hack. Windows 10 is being tamed and brought back to earth (and productivity).

thomasdahl, Mar 21, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank goodness. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  9. tracit99 Win User
    For me Sets has affected the way File Explorer ribbon behaves. I used to have to open it once after an upgrade but now I am having to open it ever time I open File Explorer.

tracit99, Apr 9, 2018
  10. tracit99 Win User
    Well that is disappointing. Turning Sets off and restarting does not help either.

tracit99, Apr 9, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hopefully, MS will get it fixed in the next build. Be sure to send feedback.

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  12. tracit99 Win User
    Hey Shawn,

I upvoted the issue.

Jim D had this workaround and it works when Sets is OFF. I am not sure about with Sets ON. I had to read the four choices several times. They were not very intuitive.

Found a workaround for this: there is a group policy that overrides the naughty behavior and shows the ribbon every time you open Explorer: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\File Explorer- Start File Explorer with ribbon minimized, set to Enabled, choose "Display the ribbon..."

Again I say read the choices very carefully. I went with the second choice and File Explore ribbon is always shown now.

tracit99, Apr 10, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Ok, good. This is option 6 and 7 in the tutorial. *Party

Brink, Apr 10, 2018
  14. tracit99 Win User
    Hey Shawn,

They fixed it in the build 17650 and sent me notices that it had been fixed and it is listed:

General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• We fixed an issue where File Explorer would always open with the ribbon minimized, rather than remembering how you’d left it.
    • We fixed an issue where elements on

tracit99, Apr 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show File

2. Strange problem with ribbon in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange problem with ribbon in File Explorer Windows 10: Hi! One of our customer randomly gets the strange problem. As you can see on picture, ribbon randomly becomes gray. [img] Does anybody have a solution? :) 121641
  3. File Explorer Tabs, Ribbon and title bar missing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Tabs, Ribbon and title bar missing: Hi all, A Client of mine had a strange occurrence in Windows 10 Enterprise x64. their file explorer, once maximized looses its tabs, ribbon and title bar. Has anyone come across this issue? Restarting explorer.exe did not fix the issue. I had the client reboot and it was...
  4. Missing Explorer Ribbon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Explorer Ribbon.: I have no explorer ribbon and not sure what happened to it. Been rather busy lately with other things, so maybe it was never there on install and didn't take notice... not sure. I just know it's not there now. Any help greatly appreciated. 115512
  5. The ribbon in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    The ribbon in File Explorer: Has any one figured out how to take the system tab off the ribbon in File Explorer? 28956
  6. File Explorer Ribbons with Home Tabs greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Ribbons with Home Tabs greyed out: For most of the afternoon today I have searched through Google and here to see if I can get the File Explorer Ribbons with Home Tabs fix. So far no luck to get this fix. I am not sure what is exactly the problem with this even I tried to right-click on desktop to get a new...
  7. Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: Hi Shawn, I can't get the preview pane to show the contents of a text document, it shows pictures just fine but not .txt files. I tried all 3 methods, with Alt+P a little message pops into the pane that say "select a file to preview" highlighting the file does nothing if...
  8. Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer: The link for 64-bit_Hide_Downloads_folder.reg is incorrect. It downloads the wrong reg file. 108032
  9. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death: When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not...
  10. File Explorer Ribbons Cover Top Lines of Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Ribbons Cover Top Lines of Folder: When I open Windows 10 File Explorer from the Task Bar and choose Home, Share or View, the resulting ribbon covers the top few lines of the opened folder or files. How can I cause the ribbon to "bump" down the folder so that I can see the top few lines? I hope I have...