Windows 10: Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 How to Open the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 The Local Group Policy Editor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by rdwray, Nov 21, 2017.

1. rdwray Win User

Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

How to: Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

How to Open the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

The Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that provides a single user interface through which all the the Computer Configuration and User Configuration settings of Local Group Policy objects can be managed.
    Computer Configuration
    Administrators can use Computer Configuration to set policies that are applied to computer, regardless of who logs on to the computers. Computer Configuration typically contains sub-items for software settings, Windows settings, and administrative templates.

User Configuration
    Administrators can use User Configuration to set policies that apply to users, regardless of which computer they log on to. User Configuration typically contains sub-items for software settings, Windows settings, and administrative templates.
    By default, policies set in the Local Group Policy Editor are applied to all users unless you apply user policy settings for all users except administrators.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

Local Group Policy Settings Reference:
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to open the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to use the Local Group Policy Editor.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Local Group Policy Editor

Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Local Group Policy Editor in Run
    1 Open Run Win + R.

2 Type gpedit.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK.

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Local Group Policy Editor in Search
    1 Open Search Win + S.

2 Type gpedit.msc or group policy into the search box, and press Enter to open the "Best match" gpedit.msc or Edit group policy.

OPTION THREE [/i] Open Local Group Policy Editor in Command Prompt
    1 Open a command prompt.

2 Type gpedit.msc into the command prompt, and press Enter.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Open Local Group Policy Editor in PowerShell
    1 Open PowerShell.

2 Type gpedit.msc into PowerShell, and press Enter.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

rdwray, Nov 21, 2017

2. OSK no longer working.

Local Group Policy Editor is not available for Windows 10 Home.

Please refer to the link below for the steps on how to enable Local Group Policy Editor for Windows 10 Home.

How to enable Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home.

Try the troubleshooting steps above again after enabling the Local Group Policy Editor.

We're looking forward to your response.

Devlin Sco, Nov 21, 2017
  3. borate Win User
    Hide specific Event Viewer error

The window header here reads Local Group Policy Editor, not Group Policy Management Editor, and the APPLICATIONS tree is not shown.

Single user on this Windows 10 Pro PC. Thanks.

borate, Nov 21, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey mate, *Smile

That looks to be from some 3rd party program instead.

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  5. rdwray Win User
    Nope, I just upgraded from Home to Pro through Settings by changing the product key and this is what I got from Microsoft.

EDIT: Just found something interesting. The MMC only shows up if I run gpedit in System32. If I run it from SysWOW64, it goes to group policy.

rdwray, Nov 21, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I noticed the path in your screenshot shows the file on the "E" drive instead of "C" where Windows is normally installed at.

When you had W10 Home, do you remember ever installing anything to enable the Local Group Policy Editor for that edition?

It sounds like the gpedit.msc file be corrupted or been modified if the above is true. You might see if running a SFC /SCANNOW command may repair the file in the System32 folder.

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  7. rdwray Win User
    sfc /scannow returned the following from E:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ which could not be "reprojected"; nothing from System32:

gpedit.dll
    fdeploy.dll
    fde.dll
    gptext.dll

Primitive installers committed for repair

What is the difference in running gpedit.msc from SysWOW64 and System32 other than the path is defined to the System32 folder?

rdwray, Nov 21, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  9. rdwray Win User
    What I don't understand is that I copied gpedit.msc from SysWOW64 to System32 and it still pull up the app shown in #1; how is that possible?

rdwray, Nov 21, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I don't recognize the app in your screenshot for this.

When you had W10 Home, do you remember ever installing anything to enable the Local Group Policy Editor for that edition?

Brink, Nov 21, 2017
  11. rdwray Win User
    I added group policy from a 3rd party to Windows 10 Home, but I just uninstalled it from control panel. Would a refresh correct it or would that just be a guess?

rdwray, Nov 21, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That could be the cause of this if it didn't uninstall properly.

Refreshing Windows should sort this though.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Local Group

2. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  3. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  4. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Unable to open local group policy editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open local group policy editor: there are many of these and I tried some of them but I still can't open local group policy no matter what I do its still not there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-local-group-policy-editor/a0bc9f6e-e518-4194-b500-b1ff2d5ef2c0
  6. Unable to open local group policy editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open local group policy editor: there are many of these and I tried some of them but I still can't open local group policy no matter what I do its still not there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-local-group-policy-editor/a0bc9f6e-e518-4194-b500-b1ff2d5ef2c0
  7. Cannot open local group policy editor in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open local group policy editor in windows 10: Find the error snip of what i get when opening Local group policy editor in windows 10 machine that is joined to a domain. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-local-group-policy-editor-in-windows/838cb09a-a055-49b3-a2f2-60c27ed83f12
  8. Local Group Policy Editor Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Group Policy Editor Win 10: Hello, I need help with getting into Local Group Policy Editor In Windows 10 I tried the gpedit in Command Prompt Or gpedit.msc in Run Anything like that won't work, i don't really know how to get into there, i even searched it in Cortana. Still, nothing does anyone know how...
  9. Error when you open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Error when you open Local Group Policy Editor in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will attempt to address the error message Resource $(string id=”Win7Only)’ referenced in attribute displayName could not be found that you might encounter when you try to open gpedit.msc in Windows 10. Error when you open Local [...] This...
  10. Cannot Open Local Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Open Local Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc: [ATTACH] I have tried multiple methods I found on the internet and non have helped me solve this issue. I need some assistance. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-local-group-policy-editor-gpeditmsc/e8036f59-aaef-4800-9fdf-d477a27577c3

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open group policy editor windows 10

2. Local Group Policy Editor Windows