Windows 10: How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10?

Discus and support How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As seen on the title, I want to know how to change the sliders on the keyboard properties window using the command prompt. Google is offering no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/290077, Nov 11, 2019.

1. /u/290077 Win User

How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10?

As seen on the title, I want to know how to change the sliders on the keyboard properties window using the command prompt. Google is offering no answers. I have tried editing the registry using

reg add "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard" /f /v "KeyboardSpeed" /t REG_SZ /d [0-31]

but it doesn't actually change the current keyboard speed, just the values in the registry (which I assume take effect upon rebooting). I want to know how to actually change the current values as if I had gone through the keyboard properties window. Does anyone with more command prompt experience have any insights?

submitted by /u/290077
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/290077, Nov 11, 2019

2. Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Keyboard Properties

How to Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

If your Windows device has a hardware keyboard, you can change the character repeat delay and rate for when you press and hold down a key.

The repeat delay is the pause between pressing a key and when it starts repeating.

The repeat rate is the speed at which it repeats.

This tutorial will show you how to change the keyboard character repeat delay and rate for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Keyboard Properties
    • Option Two: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Keyboard Properties
    • Option Three: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Registry Editor
    • Option Four: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Registry Editor

How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10? [​IMG]
    OPTION ONE
    How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10? [​IMG]
    Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Keyboard Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Keyboard icon, and close the Control Panel if you like.

2. In the Speed tab, adjust the Repeat delay slider to be long or short for what you want, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The slider position in the screenshot below is the default setting.

3. Use the Click here and hold down a key to test repeat rate field to test the repeat delay and rate to see if it's what you want. If it's not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it is.

4. When finished, click/tap on OK.

OPTION TWO
    Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Keyboard Properties
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), click/tap on the Keyboard icon, and close the Control Panel if you like.

2. In the Speed tab, adjust the Repeat rate slider to be slow or fast for what you want, and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The slider position in the screenshot below is the default setting.

3. Use the Click here and hold down a key to test repeat rate field to test the repeat delay and rate to see if it's what you want. If it's not, repeat steps 2 and 3 until it is.

4. When finished, click/tap on OK.

OPTION THREE
    Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

3. In the right pane of the Keyboard key, double click/tap on the KeyboardDelay string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 3 (long) and 0 (short) (3, 2, 1, 0) for the repeat delay you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default repeat delay is 1.

5. sign in to apply.

OPTION FOUR
    Change Keyboard Character Repeat Rate in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Keyboard

3. In the right pane of the Keyboard key, double click/tap on the KeyboardSpeed string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 0 (slow) and 31 (fast) for the repeat rate you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default repeat rate is 31.

5. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Nov 11, 2019
  3. Keyboard repeat delay and repeat speed

Hi Krishnan,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I uninstalled the keyboard and mouse drivers as you recommended, then restarted, but the keyboard repeat rate is still slow and I cannot change it with keyboard settings. Any other suggestions? Many thanks. Joe

JosephBrunner41, Nov 11, 2019
  4. How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10?

Windows 10 Keyboard Repeat Rate/Delay Keeps Changing

I prefer my keyboard repeat rate and delay to be as high as possible. I've always enjoyed immediate response when typing or holding a key.

I'm not sure why this is happening or if there is any correlation in when it occurs, but my keyboard repeat rate and delay keep reducing to a very low level (presumably default settings). But the Keyboard Properties never reflects whatever changes are occurring.

How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10? Ow5rg.png

Every time these settings slow down, I'm forced to go back to these settings, and toggle one of the settings lower and then higher so I can Apply those settings. This resolves it, but it eventually returns.

How can I resolve this?

Ryan Foley, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10?

1. How can I change keyboard repeat delay and rate from the command prompt in W10? - Similar Threads - change keyboard repeat

2. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay: Whenever I hold Backspace on my keyboard, the speed rate of my keyboard increases. It seems to have gone faster than the maximum you could change it to in the settings. Whenever I hold a key, take "W" for an example, it works fine. However, when I hold down backspace to...
  3. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay: Whenever I hold Backspace on my keyboard, the speed rate of my keyboard increases. It seems to have gone faster than the maximum you could change it to in the settings. Whenever I hold a key, take "W" for an example, it works fine. However, when I hold down backspace to...
  4. Keyboard Backspace - Repeat Rate and Delay

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard repeat delay not changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard repeat delay not changing: After I installed a new update for windows 11, I noticed that my characters start to repeat after like under half a second and it is really annoying when typing because it usually starts to repeat after half a second. The keyboard character repeat in control panel does not...
  6. Keyboard repeat delay not changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard repeat delay not changing: After I installed a new update for windows 11, I noticed that my characters start to repeat after like under half a second and it is really annoying when typing because it usually starts to repeat after half a second. The keyboard character repeat in control panel does not...
  7. Keyboard repeat rate and delay reset after hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard repeat rate and delay reset after hibernation: This problem is found multiple times without resolution and all threads are locked without solution. This seems to happen mostly on Lenovo laptops. The solution is simple. Create a task in Task scheduler that is triggered atopen session. Make sure to uncheck the Only...
  8. Keyboard repeat rate and delay resets after hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard repeat rate and delay resets after hibernation: This problem is found multiple times without resolution and all threads are locked without solution. This seems to happen mostly on Lenovo laptops. The solution is simple. Create a task in Task scheduler that is triggered at open session. Make sure to uncheck the Only...
  9. How to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 allows you to set the Keyboard Repeat Rate and Repeat Delay. These terms are inter-related. When you make active, any text field or an editor and, press and hold a single character key, it will immediately type the [...] This post How to set the...
  10. Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows: How to: Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows How to Change Keyboard Character Repeat Delay and Rate in Windows If your Windows device has a hardware keyboard, you can change the character repeat delay and rate for when you press and hold down a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 repeat key delay setting in command prompt

2. windows 10 keybboaaard delayyy

3. delay typing on my computer option w10